Author Topic: Thermoelectric Coolbox  (Read 2072 times)

Thermoelectric Coolbox
« on: 24 August, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »
OT Knowledge or here!!

Does anyone know what the duty cycle would be for one of these coolboxes?  The spec says 35W (2.9A) but that would be whilst running and I assume it would switch off when it reached temp or reduce cooling or not...!  If it is continious then that's a car battery's worth in 24 hours!

Secondary question - one of these thermo jobbies or a big insulated coolbox that claim to keep ice frozen for 5 days?

Re: Thermoelectric Coolbox
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2010, 04:09:25 pm »
I used one when I lived on a boat.

They are battery killers, and after a few hours reach a point where the heat from one side of the peltier plate starts seeping back into the coolbox.  Best viewed as something you plug in when driving, and treat as an ordinary icebox once camped.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2010, 04:13:20 pm »
.... treat as an ordinary icebox once camped.

Are they as efficient as a coolbox when in stand alone mode?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »
They pretty much *are* a coolbox once you turn the power off.  I have one in my camper van and use it as MrCharly describes: run it while driving, park up and leave the coldstuff cold. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:04:40 pm »
At best peltier will reduce in box temperature by 20 degrees. Will also drain your car battery for you if the engine is not running. If you want a freezer you have to shell out the big bucks for an compressor based Engel - cost from 400 pounds for 20 L.

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:42:49 pm »
a big insulated coolbox that claim to keep ice frozen
We bought one of these last year and I tested it. It failed to keep ice frozen overnight (I forget what period it claimed it would keep it frozen for, but I think overnight was within it's advertised capabilities). We had the mother of all arguments trying to get our money back; we had to resort to the small claims court in the end (courtesy of my other half operating in rottweiler mode) but we got it in the end.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:46:04 pm »
Will also drain your car battery for you if the engine is not running.

In a campervan application, run it from the leisure circuit (a second battery, charged when the engine is running, that you can run flat on fridges and interior lights and such tat). 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »
a big insulated coolbox that claim to keep ice frozen for 5 days?

People on ukcampsites.co.uk seem to rave about the Coleman extreme coolboxes