Author Topic: RIP Tommy Godwin  (Read 1631 times)

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: RIP Tommy Godwin
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2012, 09:22:43 am »
Ah, that Tommy Godwin.  I thought the other one was long gone.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »
Tommy attended one of the BeaconRCC Newport Velodrome sessions last winter and provided us all with great entertainment. His dry wit and ability to attract a gaggle of admiring younger ladies at the age of 91, bemused us all.

My enduring impression of Tommy was obviously his Olympic achievements. In effect, Tommy was an Olympian twice in life time; once in 1948 and for a second time in 2012. Whilst he gained his medals in 1948, which provided a reference point for a life dedicated to the promotion of cycling, I will still remember the affectionate hug given by Sir Chris Hoy when Tommy presented him with a gold medal at this year's Worlds in London. Tommy effectively lived for both olympic events, in the former as a competitor and at the second as an ambassador.

He will be difficult to replace.

RIP, Tommy.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2012, 11:00:29 am »
I grew up in Knowle, and find myself up there today (my parents still live up there.)

There is a memorial service for Tommy at the local church at 2pm this afternoon

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
Tommy Godwin is being inducted into the Kings Heath Walk of Fame on Sunday 18th May 12-5pm with the ceremony at 4pm.

It all takes place in York Rd which is the next road down from Silver Street where Tommy's shop was.