Author Topic: Hard boiled 300  (Read 5034 times)

Hard boiled 300
« on: 04 April, 2019, 10:10:19 pm »
Im riding the hard boiled 300 next weekend, can anyone help me out with a GPX file for it ??

Re: Hard boiled 300
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2019, 09:09:06 am »
This page might do the trick http://www.wessexsr.org.uk/HB2019.HTML

Although, as with any ride, I'd always recommend that you double check the gpx against the routesheet of course.

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2019, 09:22:22 am »
Great..Many thanks..

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2019, 02:25:13 pm »
Double check the GPX against sanity

I just looked and they are still going the mad route from Churchinford to Axminister

When you control at Churchinford, go back the way you've come, go R on the B3170, R on the A303, L at Stockland Hill (sp Stockland), follow that road for a long time and then L on the A35 for Axminister

Stockland Hill is the nicest road you are likely to ride on

The official Hard Boiled route isn't - the phrase "lunar landscape" or "roads that are like off road" spring to mind

I reckon that would save you 30m at least and you'd have fresher legs

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2019, 02:28:41 pm »
Thanks for the info, i will have look when I'm home later.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
Double check the GPX against sanity

I just looked and they are still going the mad route from Churchinford to Axminister

When you control at Churchinford, go back the way you've come, go R on the B3170, R on the A303, L at Stockland Hill (sp Stockland), follow that road for a long time and then L on the A35 for Axminister

Stockland Hill is the nicest road you are likely to ride on

The official Hard Boiled route isn't - the phrase "lunar landscape" or "roads that are like off road" spring to mind

I reckon that would save you 30m at least and you'd have fresher legs

Still a fan of the Wessex ExperienceTM I see /s ...A303!?! A35???  :facepalm: Don't listen to him, come with us and enjoy the experience, the challenge, the floods, the mud: Churchinford to Axminster is Pure Cycling Joy On A Lane... first time I did it there was a bit where I thought 'if I wasn't riding with the organiser, I'd have been sure I'd taken a wrong turn onto a farm track to nowhere' - how often can you say that? :) I'm off to route check at 02:00. Can't wait. Not sane, but happy  :thumbsup:.

All being well, my tracker will be dropping dots on a map every 10 minutes here: http://bit.ly/2R5Z395

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2019, 11:57:33 am »

Still a fan of the Wessex ExperienceTM I see /s ...A303!?! A35???  :facepalm: Don't listen to him, come with us and enjoy the experience, the challenge, the floods, the mud: Churchinford to Axminster is Pure Cycling Joy On A Lane... first time I did it there was a bit where I thought 'if I wasn't riding with the organiser, I'd have been sure I'd taken a wrong turn onto a farm track to nowhere' - how often can you say that? :) I'm off to route check at 02:00. Can't wait. Not sane, but happy  :thumbsup:.

All being well, my tracker will be dropping dots on a map every 10 minutes here: http://bit.ly/2R5Z395

Andyp you are the greatest, you are so enthusiastic, so happy
We must meet up again, pm me what rides you are doing this year

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2019, 07:22:45 pm »
Well, I can’t wait ... I’ll be at Poole station next Saturday at 2am - with mudguards  ;)

Who else ?

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2019, 09:36:13 pm »
Yes in again, this will be my 10th double this year!!!!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:03:11 am »
Route check ride was wonderful - for me, how Ian did it in the rain on Friday, I'm not sure: that must've been HARD... totally different 24 hours later.

The roads on the section mentioned above have been largely repaired, so there's gravel, but more than one survivable line around the corners. :thumbsup: and the descent into Axminster has been resurfaced, which made it more relaxed than usual.

bluebells starting to come out, primroses everywhere, and even an orchid on the road to Shave Cross.

« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2019, 12:38:48 pm »
Yes in again, this will be my 10th double this year!!!!

10 doubles !!  Impressive  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2019, 01:47:09 pm »
Route check ride was wonderful - for me, how Ian did it in the rain on Friday, I'm not sure: that must've been HARD... totally different 24 hours later.

It was hard, type II fun. My shoes _still_ haven't completely dried out! Between andyp and myself we have two photos of the same piece of road just before Axminster less than 24 hours apart. In my photo its flooded almost bottom bracket deep. In his, it's bone dry.

Overall the route's in good condition (for a Wessex ride) and with a benign forecast at the moment, I reckon it'll be a superb day out. Might even be worth packing sunscreen ( @GPS ;) )

« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:23:05 am »
Thanks for the reminder Ian !

« Reply #13 on: 09 April, 2019, 05:45:46 pm »
Be my first hard boiled any tips?

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2019, 05:52:23 pm »
It's a ride of 2 halves - expect things to get difficult shortly before Axminster and for about 70k after!

« Reply #15 on: 09 April, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »
Don't bother bringing low gears- you won't need them!!   :demon:

« Reply #16 on: 09 April, 2019, 06:57:18 pm »
It'll be cold at the start, but it gets much colder in the interior before the sun makes an appearance.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:36:51 pm »
It's a ride of 2 halves - expect things to get difficult shortly before Axminster and for about 70k after!

Yep. If you are close to the wire at Axminster, you are in trouble. It is about the most spiky 80km on any ride. Add an hour or more onto your normal mental calculations for ‘it will take me X to ride this last 100km’.

It is an amazing ride.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:57:40 am »
Be my first hard boiled any tips?

Don't waste any time at all at the Amesbury control, that first stage is deceptively easy - you'll need all the time in hand later.
The sunrise as you go over Salisbury plain can be amazing, but it's behind you so don't forget to look back
Give yourself a point every time you recognise an intersection with another Wessex ride
If you're running short of time as you approach Axminster, you can stop at Costa at the top of the hill after the level crossing, and get a receipt. The station Café closes promptly, and it's slightly off route.

hope you have a good one!

« Reply #19 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:31:09 am »
Thanks for the tips.  :thumbsup:

So Axminster I can just get a receipt from any shop etc? And I need to leave there no later that 3pm to give me time to get back to Pool?

« Reply #20 on: 10 April, 2019, 11:39:33 am »
So Axminster I can just get a receipt from any shop etc? And I need to leave there no later that 3pm to give me time to get back to Pool?

Any receipt from Axminster would be fine. The Station Cafe is good as there is plenty of space to park bikes, service is reasonably quick (in my experience), and you'll be amongst other riders you will no doubt have seen on the road thus far.

The guidance is that leaving Axminster by 3pm should allow sufficient time to get back to Poole. This guidance is no doubt made as there are a succession of hills in the next 70km or so which will slow you down, which others have advised up above.

For your first Hard Boiled, I think you'll be getting generally good weather, so enjoy  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #21 on: 10 April, 2019, 07:32:22 pm »
And I need to leave there no later that 3pm to give me time to get back to Pool?
it is possible to leave later than 3 and get back for sure, so if you are later, don't panic, just ride: it's just the hills are so steep there's not much you can do to speed up: your speed is what it is... so it's best not to leave later, because if you miscalculate, unless you're real strong, you're a bit screwed ;-). It's an epic and awesome last section! ...and the bluebells and primroses are great this year.

« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2019, 09:58:12 am »
And I need to leave there no later that 3pm to give me time to get back to Pool?
it is possible to leave later than 3 and get back for sure, so if you are later, don't panic, just ride: it's just the hills are so steep there's not much you can do to speed up: your speed is what it is... so it's best not to leave later, because if you miscalculate, unless you're real strong, you're a bit screwed ;-). It's an epic and awesome last section! ...and the bluebells and primroses are great this year.

Thanks for the advise. Will aim to bag as much time as possible with out burning out  :thumbsup: Sort of looking forward to finding out how hard the hills are. Only thing i can think close would be the B842 going to Cambeltown. Street View

« Reply #23 on: 11 April, 2019, 10:33:32 pm »
Any suggestions as to where to park the car in or around the area ??

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2019, 11:01:06 am »
We parked in Hamworthy opposite the park last year - seemed to be plenty of unrestricted street parking there, and only a short ride to the station. Someone else who knows the area better may be able to suggest a more optimal spot.