Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331959 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #375 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
Thanks all for the gas canister info!
I just visited my local camping shop, the Gorge Outdoors on Cheddar Gorge and stocked up on the final bits and pieces for my impending camping trip.

I bought:
 3x 100g Primus canisters (I think I will only take 2 with me though)
a teeny tin opener gadget
a Paramo towel (tiny package and light, fast drying and yet a decent sized towel)
a Gelert key fob mini lantern
a 1 litre water storage bag
a tiny survival blanket (this is actually to cover my bike with if its very wet at night)
a foam seat pad for a bargain £1.50
some velcro straps (you can never have too many of these!)
a new dog lead, not actually for camping, but they stock awesome shockcord leads ideal for walking a dog who tends to pull and yank. My dog sitter will need this!
I didn't buy a pair of crocks, despite being tempted, because they weigh next to nothing and are good in a muddy water logged field. My son wouldn't been seen dead with me if I wore these though! Looks like I'm packing the flip flops, since I couldn't afford the Vibram shoes with toes today!

« Reply #376 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
They're all the same butane/propane mix with a standard connector, AFAIK.

That's been my experience, although I've heard that Camping Gaz blue ones won't work.  I have a few Primus canisters I bought at Snow and Rock, and they are fine.

There are 4 types of gas cartridge connection:
a)
None - just stab a hole in the canister.
The stove clamps to the canister with a rubber seal round the hole it's stabbed
These are the original blue Camping Gas type, though there are many compatible brands now.
Adapters are available to use them with screw threaded stoves.
b)
Screw threaded.
These are all more or less standard (including blowtorch canisters), though there are sometimes you'll find a canister/stove combination where the proddler that opens the valve isn't quite long enough. Coleman are the dicky brand (IIRC), though I can't remember whether it's a short proddler on the stoves or a deep set valve on the canister.
c)
blue Camping Gas CV (Click-on Valve)
These look similar to the screw threaded canisters, but there's no screw thread on the valve stem.
A couple of stoves (MSR Superfly and a couple of Primuses) fit either screw thread or CV, and adapters (Edelrid/Markill) are available to use CV canisters with screw threaded stoves
d)
Gas lighter refill valves.
These valves also come on larger canisters for use horizontally in large car-camping or domestic stoves that look similar to a normal domestic gas hob. These are cheap, often butane only (no good it it's cool/cold weather), and screw thread adapters are available on eBay.

EN 417 relates to the actual valve, and both screw and CV canisters are EN 417 despite being incompatible.

The smaller cartridges get very weak when they're half empty; the pressure isn't really regulated.  I use the half-empty ones in a lantern, where the flow rate is very low and they work OK.
All gas canister stoves will get weak when half empty if the canisters are used in an upright position.
This is because the liquid gas in the canister cools as the gas boils off to go to the stove. If the temperature of the gas mix goes below its boiling point, it goes out, and if it's not much above the stove is very weak.
The gases in the canister are butane (boils at -0.5C), isobutane (-11.7C), propane(-42C), or a mix with an intermediate boiling point. When a mix boils, that part of the mix that's furthest above its boiling point is used faster, so the mix changes. With a standard 70%butpane/30% propane mix there's no propane left at all by the time the canister is down to about 40% full, and the pure butane is very poor if the weather isn't warm.
To get round the weak performance, you can either use a stove that will cope with an upside down canister, or try to keep the canister from cooling with a close fitting windshield or something (but watch out for an overheating canister, which would be nasty).

« Reply #377 on: 28 July, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »
... To get round the weak performance, you can either use a stove that will cope with an upside down canister, or try to keep the canister from cooling with a close fitting windshield or something (but watch out for an overheating canister, which would be nasty).

There's also an argument for taking the gas canister to bed with you, since it'll be a lot warmer first thing in the morning, for that first cup of coffee/tea, than if it has been sat around overnight "just chillin". ;D

This is probably not relevant in France in the middle of the summer.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #378 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:23:53 pm »
... To get round the weak performance, you can either use a stove that will cope with an upside down canister, or try to keep the canister from cooling with a close fitting windshield or something (but watch out for an overheating canister, which would be nasty).

There's also an argument for taking the gas canister to bed with you, since it'll be a lot warmer first thing in the morning, for that first cup of coffee/tea, than if it has been sat around overnight "just chillin". ;D

There's also a trick I saw described in a climbing magazine of taping a strip of metal to the canister, with the other end of the strip contacting the stove's flame. This, of course, could boost the stove's heat output far more than you ever wanted, so I'm not suggesting that anyone actually try this. Could be fun to watch from a safe distance, though.

« Reply #379 on: 29 July, 2011, 12:51:33 am »

There's also a trick I saw described in a climbing magazine of taping a strip of metal to the canister, with the other end of the strip contacting the stove's flame. This, of course, could boost the stove's heat output far more than you ever wanted, so I'm not suggesting that anyone actually try this. Could be fun to watch from a safe distance, though.

The copper strip between the flame and the canister is OK so long as you are ready with a proddler to move the end out of the flame if it starts to get lively. It's not OK to fire up the stove and go back into your sleeping bag whilst the water boils (not OK for any other canister heating method either).
The canister in the sleeping bag is OK for the first brew, but isn't so good if you turn the stove off whilst you drink it, and expect it still to be OK for the bacon when you've finished the tea.

Agreed, there's no problem any time it's warm enough to sit around in a T-shirt.

« Reply #380 on: 29 July, 2011, 09:58:44 am »
Camping stuff bought today: 2 packs of jaffa cakes, multipack of pork scratchings, bag of peanuts, ibuprofen and half a bottle of brandy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #381 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
Camping stuff bought today: 2 packs of jaffa cakes, multipack of pork scratchings, bag of peanuts, ibuprofen and half a bottle of brandy.

Paracetemol is better for hangovers...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #382 on: 29 July, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »
How about one of each? Think I've read somewhere that it might be beneficial in certain circumstances, this might not be one of them.

« Reply #383 on: 29 July, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »
Bought on route to Portsmouth today:
1 packet of ibuprofen
1 packet of Boots travel sickness tablets (for on the boat)
1 packet of Immodium instants in case the French water is dodgy!

« Reply #384 on: 29 July, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »
Regulator what is that neat little stove you use and with what bottles? Oops might be Tourist Tony you all look the same to me with helmets on....... ???
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #385 on: 30 July, 2011, 02:01:43 pm »
Picked up this nice little camping knife today:

http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/rangeview.cfm?parentitemid=209&rangeid=573&keywords=

Should be handy. Also wanter a Mora Clipper but they were out of stock this week.
Nice shop if you're over Surbiton way. Must admit to having a bit of knife lust but had no use for most of them!

Ranger Surplus : http://www.ranger.uk.com/tradingpost/index.php
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #386 on: 03 August, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »
I have a camping knife but I am still very unclear as to whether I should be carrying it around or not even in panniers. Seems to me anything more aggressive that a hair clip can get you in lots of trouble. Some sites recommend you buy a knife on site or nearby and then dispose of it. Nuts.

« Reply #387 on: 06 August, 2011, 09:10:30 pm »
As there are lots of camping sales breaking out atm treated myself to vango folding gas stove for £16.99. Now if only the right tent would come along......

« Reply #388 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »
I have a camping knife but I am still very unclear as to whether I should be carrying it around or not even in panniers. Seems to me anything more aggressive that a hair clip can get you in lots of trouble. Some sites recommend you buy a knife on site or nearby and then dispose of it. Nuts.

It's perfectly legal to carry a knife if you have a reasonable reason to carry a knife (or knives).  A chef going to or from his place of work, and carrying his knives would have no problem.  Having purchased a knife from a shop, and taking it home, you or I would have no problem.

If you're carrying a knife for some purpose of camping (which you can reasonably demonstrate), then no one is going to prosecute it, or indeed even find out.  The police are not going to stop you and check through your panniers on the chance that there's a knife in there which you can't justify having upon you (which for camping you almost certainly can).

There's also the attitude test.  If the police stop you for some random reason, and you tell them that they can't search you for a knife, then that's pretty much what they're going to do.  If you thought you were going to have any sort of problem with a knife in your pannier, it would be a bad idea to have an argument with a copper, or generally piss them off in some fashion.

If I'm camping I've probably got a couple of knives in my camping kit which would not be legal to carry in my pocket on the street.  I'm not in the least worried that I'm going to be stopped and searched.

Come to that, I've never been searched by a police officer for anything.  The nearest I've got is a slight pat down going through an airport or trying to get into a club, which is pretty much the norm for most of us.

« Reply #389 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:18:46 pm »

It's perfectly legal to carry a knife if you have a reasonable reason to carry a knife (or knives).  A chef going to or from his place of work, and carrying his knives would have no problem.  Having purchased a knife from a shop, and taking it home, you or I would have no problem.

If you're carrying a knife for some purpose of camping (which you can reasonably demonstrate), then no one is going to prosecute it, or indeed even find out.  The police are not going to stop you and check through your panniers on the chance that there's a knife in there which you can't justify having upon you (which for camping you almost certainly can).

There's also the attitude test.  If the police stop you for some random reason, and you tell them that they can't search you for a knife, then that's pretty much what they're going to do.  If you thought you were going to have any sort of problem with a knife in your pannier, it would be a bad idea to have an argument with a copper, or generally piss them off in some fashion.

If I'm camping I've probably got a couple of knives in my camping kit which would not be legal to carry in my pocket on the street.  I'm not in the least worried that I'm going to be stopped and searched.

Come to that, I've never been searched by a police officer for anything.  The nearest I've got is a slight pat down going through an airport or trying to get into a club, which is pretty much the norm for most of us.

I tend to travel armed only with a spork and a corkscrew. I wonder what they would make of that?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #390 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:38:44 am »
Arrived yesterday: an Alpkit hunka bivvy bag & titanium spork  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Regulator

« Reply #391 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:49:57 am »

I tend to travel armed only with a spork and a corkscrew. I wonder what they would make of that?

You're a lush addicted to Pot Noodles?   ;D

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #392 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

I had more problems explaining the handcuffs than the diving knives...  :-[

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #393 on: 12 August, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #394 on: 20 August, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »
As there are lots of camping sales breaking out atm treated myself to vango folding gas stove for £16.99. Now if only the right tent would come along......

Miffed as above and then find this.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunngaz-SunnGas-Alpine-Stove/dp/B000ZJ60IW/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

Stainless, built in ignition and wind shield ho hum.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #395 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:21:50 am »
On Sunday in the Blacks get third sale item free we got an Outwell Iowa L and two pairs of Goretex trainers for £200.

Touch.

« Reply #396 on: 24 August, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »
At lunchtime today I went out to buy some bamboo socks and ended up getting a multimat all seasons self-inflating mattress thingy in the blacks sale, £20.99.  Packs down nice'n'small and weighs under 600g.  That will fit nicely at the bottom of one of the Deuter panniers I bought yesterday.

« Reply #397 on: 24 August, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »
You're a lush addicted to Pot Noodles?   ;D

<quickly hides the Pot Noodle on his desk>

;D

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #398 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:44:37 pm »
I ordered an Alpkit Skyehigh 600 sleeping bag today.  I don't want my camping fun this year to finish yet and my 2-season snugpack bag was getting a bit chilly the last time I was out.  I'm looking forward to some cosiness.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #399 on: 25 August, 2011, 11:47:27 am »
Yes, a Vango Tempest 300. Will be taking it Peterborough bound this afternoon  :thumbsup: