Author Topic: Indian restaurants in Scotland.  (Read 4807 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Indian restaurants in Scotland.
« on: 24 April, 2019, 06:05:12 pm »
When I used to come to Scotland quite regularly when I had a real job (1990-95), I noticed how expensive Indians were compared to England or Wales (I did visit NI once but never had an Indian meal). I’m looking at a menu for a restaurant in St. Andrews now and they food is still eye-wateringly expensive. http://maisharestaurant.co.uk/category/main-courses/ refers.

Does anyone know why this is, other than Because They Can?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Indian restaurants in Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2019, 06:23:09 pm »
It's probably more to do with the fact that it's in St. Andrews. :P

I've never noticed Indian restaurants to be particularly pricey. Perhaps that's just because I don't eat at the expensive places!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2019, 06:25:45 pm »
My work experience with Indian restaurants would have been mostly in Aberdeen or Glasgow. I may have stayed in Edinburgh too but don’t recall.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2019, 06:32:47 pm »
Can't add anything on price, but just that Glasgow ones were right, not like soft southern restaurants. If you order a Vindaloo in Glasgow, it is hot, not mild like down here.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »
It's a long time since I lived in Glasgow but the Indian takeaways kept us full, fat and seemed good VFM.

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2019, 07:55:37 pm »
Likewise, I never thought Glasgow’s South Side indians were expensive. Everything in Aberdeen was.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »
Don't forget to try the haggis pakora.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2019, 03:41:55 pm »
Thankfully I never came across that particular delicacy.  The local (Cathcart) Indian restaurant menus were fairly conventional, and the first time I'd had Dhansak and Patia.

The local (Mount Florida) chippy however was truer to stereotype. No Mars Bars, but all the pies were deep fried (a shock to this nesh southerner), as were the pizzas.  And there was only a choice of "Fish Supper" (battered fish with chips) or "Special Fish Supper (Breaded fish with chips). And white vinegar too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2019, 03:50:42 pm »
Don't forget to try the haggis pakora.

I've used Macsween Vegetarian Haggis in a curry - really good (and probably one of the reasons why I used to be known as 'Windy').

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2019, 04:31:33 pm »
Murphy's Pakora Bar was A Thing when I lived in Glasgow as the locals loved anything battered and deep-fried.
(I doubt Murphy was Indian.)
Never went there.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
We were always commenting on the fact that the Indian restaurant at the end of our road in Edinburgh never seemed to have more than a single customer, but I recently noted that twenty years later, it's still there (and still empty).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:22:49 pm »
Is most of their business meals on wheels?

There are eateries around here I have never visited.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:59:43 pm »
I assume it's delivery that keeps them afloat. Compared to London, I was reassured to see how many places seem to have survived.

That said, there's used to be an OK restaurant called Albert's Table in South Croydon which closed and became a ubiquitous Italianesque 'Mediterranean grill and bar' (refit at looked like significant expense) which lasted about six months. Now it's being refit again. As a 'Mediterranean grill and bar.'

I'm not sure how the restaurant business works.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:09:03 am »
It's probably more to do with the fact that it's in St. Andrews. :P

I've never noticed Indian restaurants to be particularly pricey. Perhaps that's just because I don't eat at the expensive places!

Despite the location, I haven’t noticed other restaurants being particularly pricey.

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:19:57 am »
Murphy's Pakora Bar was A Thing when I lived in Glasgow as the locals loved anything battered and deep-fried.
(I doubt Murphy was Indian.)
Never went there.

Murphy's Pakora Bar was an Indian, a spin out from the local Ashok "chain".  Murphy's referred to the stout.  Pakora was very popular around the Glasgow Indian takeaways and usually had piece sizes 2-3 times bigger than you see down south.  Similar size variation to that seen between French Fancies and strawberry tarts in a Glasgow bakery and those down south.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:29:15 am »
When I used to come to Scotland quite regularly when I had a real job (1990-95), I noticed how expensive Indians were compared to England or Wales (I did visit NI once but never had an Indian meal). I’m looking at a menu for a restaurant in St. Andrews now and they food is still eye-wateringly expensive. http://maisharestaurant.co.uk/category/main-courses/ refers.

I used to live in St Andrews - ALL restaurants there are eyewateringly expensive.  They have a captive audience of rich-ish students and extremely rich American golfers.

If you want a good curry - there used to be a great one in Broughty Ferry just outside Dundee.  The Gullistan or something it was called.  This is not very far away, though it's probably a decent cycle ride

Thobut - I left St Andrews in 1998 - things may have changed.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:33:06 am »
I haven't checked the link but the Indian in St Andrews has a (fairly genuine-ish I think) claim of being the first one in the whole of the UK so uses that as a way of boosting its prices.

iirc a tarka dahl in there cost about as much as a main meal in any other Indian restaurant I've been in (apart from the recent-ish emergence of gourmet ones).

*comes back from checking the link* - Hmm, OK they have a whole THREE now  :thumbsup:   The Balaka has closed permanently  :jurek:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:08:47 pm »

I used to live in St Andrews - ALL restaurants there are eyewateringly expensive.  They have a captive audience of rich-ish students and extremely rich American golfers.

If you want a good curry - there used to be a great one in Broughty Ferry just outside Dundee.  The Gullistan or something it was called.  This is not very far away, though it's probably a decent cycle ride

Thobut - I left St Andrews in 1998 - things may have changed.

I used to go to School in StAndrews finidhing in '99.
This was before the Royal surge so it was just the gowfers.
PMs and Joes wern't eyewatteringly expensive to a school kid and the Queues at Janettas or Burns was tolerable, and mostly us.

Last time I went to StAndrews I realized it was school lunch time and expected to be stuck with huge queues of school kids, but only about 5 of them had strayed out of the school.
The town was otherwise rammed.
I was dissapointed to discover that most of the shops I remember are no more, boots is where the canaries used to be, wanky piss cafés and shops have replaced the bakers and baked potato shops
that Joe's is now the Tailend and I think the prices are comparable to their takeaway in Dundee at the old Deep Sea.

That living 12 miles away I only really ever go when passing through on the bike says a bit about the place.

The Guilistan is still in the ferry and still highly rated, never been though.

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2019, 01:07:46 pm »
Never particularly felt that Kalpna (20-some years ago) or (more recently) Mother India in Edinburgh were that expensive.

Dearer than Bradford, granted.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
Never particularly felt that Kalpna (20-some years ago) or (more recently) Mother India in Edinburgh were that expensive.

Dearer than Bradford, granted.

I've used Kalpna too and I don't remember thinking it was expensive.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 28 July, 2019, 08:48:01 pm »
I am at the nearest Indian restaurant to Waverley station. Cheapest main is £13.95. For comparison I googled Pimlico Indian restaurant and the one I picked is £3 a dish cheaper. And I reckon that is an inflated West Central London price.

Mind you, I can look at trains.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21 on: 28 July, 2019, 08:59:53 pm »
I am at the nearest Indian restaurant to Waverley station. Cheapest main is £13.95. For comparison I googled Pimlico Indian restaurant and the one I picked is £3 a dish cheaper. And I reckon that is an inflated West Central London price.

Cheapness?

In central Edinburgh in the run-up to the festival?

If cheapness is your main criteria, I'd suggest going somewhere else...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:19:44 pm »
Prices at the good "expensive" one in Dundee
https://dilse-dundee.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Dilse-Restaurant-Menu-Web.pdf

The Guilistan's menu is suspiciously short of prices
https://www.gulistanhouse.com/menus

« Reply #23 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:10:45 pm »

Cheapness?

Mother India would have been easily close enough, assuming you're on the sleeper back - you'd still have paid fifteen quid plus drinks, but it wouldn't have been for one dish, and it would have been more than worth it.

A PEDANT interjects to plead for a singular criterion ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:31:05 pm »

Cheapness?

Well, the summer school was at a specific date and place and that involved comin through Edinburgh. Not much choice really.