Author Topic: Actual Bath Time  (Read 4897 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Actual Bath Time
« Reply #25 on: 18 January, 2024, 11:49:52 am »
And oxbow seats, and toilet seat protectors BECAUSE YOU CAN CATCH PREGNANT, AIDS AND HERPES FROM TOILET SEATS.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 18 January, 2024, 12:30:19 pm »
And oxbow seats, and toilet seat protectors BECAUSE YOU CAN CATCH PREGNANT, AIDS AND HERPES FROM TOILET SEATS.

It does tend to mean that the stray urine ends up on the offender's trousers rather than the seat, thobut.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 19 January, 2024, 01:28:42 am »
My right thigh prolapses through the gap on an oxbow seat, making me very uncomfortable and making it almost impossible to wipe.

I HATE THEM!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 19 January, 2024, 01:07:39 pm »
Oh yes, they're very much a work of Stan.  Second only to the French approach of not bothering with toilet seats.

« Reply #29 on: 19 January, 2024, 02:36:13 pm »
Oh yes, they're very much a work of Stan.  Second only to the French approach of not bothering with toilet seats.

Or not  bothering with toilets......  :hand:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #30 on: 19 January, 2024, 07:38:29 pm »

Or not  bothering with toilets......  :hand:

Those French ceramic hole in the ground cludgies are especially fun in road cycling shoes with plastic cleats!

DAHIKT!!  :sick:

(...and no, I wasn't taking my shoes off either!!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

ian

« Reply #31 on: 19 January, 2024, 08:29:37 pm »
Hole-and-hosepipe toilets in the far east where you can inadvertently give yourself an enema and your neighbours a shower.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #32 on: 19 January, 2024, 08:34:32 pm »
When in urgent need, any of the above is fine.

The presence of running water beats the scrabbling for scratchy foliage anytime.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2024, 01:14:15 pm »
More on American toilets, or Americans and toilets:
Just last month his same Navy Lake landlady had made Finn go to the plumbing showroom to shop for a new toilet to replace the limed-up one his bowels had fallen victim to his second day of residence. The salesman on the showroom floor had sized up Finn's thighs: "You may need a larger seat," he said and had him sit down on several of the toilets in the public showroom. He directed Finn to yet another. And soon Finn was striding from display toilet to display toilet and just sitting on them. "Well now try this higher one? More comfortable for reading? Now stand and face the toilet so we can see how the aim would be."

"I don't think a man has ever spoken so intimately to me before," Finn had said.

And then the salesman showed him how the seat would fall in slow motion rather than with a loud clack. "Your wife ill like that." Finn knew he was then supposed to reveal he wasn't married but instead he just said, "Will she?" What he really wanted to say as he sat on various toilets all around the showroom was May I please have a little privacy?
I Am Homeless If This Is Not My Home, Lorrie Moore
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2024, 03:33:07 pm »
Americans can buy the "Big John", which is a supersized, reinforced "bariatric toilet seat", bariatric being a euphemism for "my gravitational field pulls in loose objects".

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #35 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:08:13 pm »
I don’t know how American toilets work but if you flush twice the Pacific Ocean empties.

They like to connect them directly to a 40mm (or USAnian equivalent) water main using one of those toggle knob things you get on water fountains, and assume that sheer water pressure will take care of business.  Which is probably true, if mildly terrifying.

You're referring to a "Victory valve" with a simple lever that justs switches the water on direct from the main - hence unlimited quantities of water are dispensed.   https://www.victoryflushvalve.co.uk/

They are typically used in industrial situations - and frequently on ships/boats where sea-water is used for flushing (that may be when the waste went back into the sea!)

In 1954 my father installed one of these in the bathroom at our house . . . AFAIK they were illegal then for domestic use - BUT it did enable "positive clearance"

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #36 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:13:44 pm »
Having fitted a new toilet in our en suite shower room recently I can recommend the "comfort height" models - a little higher than the standard pan . . . excellent for taller people.   (And I did wander round the bathroom showroom sitting on numerous toilets)

The flush mechanism, having a greater fall, is very effective.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 07 April, 2024, 04:44:59 am »
Having dropped a colon’s worth in a USanian one today I will sing the praises of the wide bowl and odd vacuum system. It failed the first time, but voraciously devoured the Nessie I had made the second time.

Most satisfying.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #38 on: 07 April, 2024, 07:52:02 am »
Around the 24th of June, just before my birthday . l don't like wheel suckers .
Its More Fun With Three .

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 07 April, 2024, 09:05:21 am »
Around the 24th of June, just before my birthday . l don't like wheel suckers .
I shudder to think what the context is here.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #40 on: 07 April, 2024, 08:33:00 pm »
When I last had the bathroom redone my mother who liked baths had difficulty getting in and out of the old bath.  So I specified an ordinary bath with handles.  My mother found this a good solution. (Even towards the end when she could not walk 20m easily)

« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2024, 11:23:20 am »
An update on our thoughts and your many welcome comments.

Mrs T has decided that as we approach getting decrepit that we will not have a bath.
She has decided that a nice big shower area with space for dressing with assistance if required in the future
is a better long term solution.
As we never intend to relocate we are not concerned that this may make our property less desirable.
I am now researching spacious shower designs.

Thanks for all the input it has been most helpful.