Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 47159 times)

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #175 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:13:31 am »
Pro3 are mostly 50% dearer than Krylion, with a shorter predicted lifespan.

They should be 50% dearer but doubt they are in reality...although they do last about twice as long! :D
I'm quoting from prices online.

Krylion - £19.99
Pro3 = £30.99

Just sat with my supply chain guy now in France - won't see any 25C Krylions globaly until the end of August at least - production capacity has been an aissue and they have been told to prioritise production onto key products and the Krylion, in 25C anyway, does not fall into that catagory. Sorry folks!
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #176 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:29:41 am »
I never pay more than £22 for Pro 3 tyres.  Haven't tried Krylions yet

« Reply #177 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:54:18 am »
won't see any 25C Krylions globaly until the end of August at least

Bah. I'll just have to stock up a bit when they appear. Thanks for the info KidJambo.

« Reply #178 on: 30 June, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Just sat with my supply chain guy now in France - won't see any 25C Krylions globaly until the end of August at least - production capacity has been an aissue and they have been told to prioritise production onto key products and the Krylion, in 25C anyway, does not fall into that catagory. Sorry folks!

KJ - Where does the Pro Race in 25C fit in the scheme of priorities?

Anyone know of any stocks of those - at a competitive price?

« Reply #179 on: 30 June, 2010, 10:48:18 am »
CRC have them for 24.99 if you buy 3.

Group buy, anyone?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #180 on: 02 July, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »

Group buy, anyone?

£48.50 for 2 at Ribble with offer code Tour6

« Reply #181 on: 02 July, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »

Group buy, anyone?

£48.50 for 2 at Ribble with offer code Tour6

We are after 25mm
tRibble don't stock them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #182 on: 05 July, 2010, 07:52:59 am »

KJ - Where does the Pro Race in 25C fit in the scheme of priorities?

Anyone know of any stocks of those - at a competitive price?

Pro 3 Race is higher priority than any other range but not the 25C version which sells less than the 25C in Krylion Carbon
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #183 on: 05 July, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »

We are after 25mm
tRibble don't stock them.

They don't stock the Krylion 25, but they show stock of the Pro Race 3 in 25
Buried in the middle of this page
Michelin Pro 3 Race Folding Tyre

« Reply #184 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »
I've been planning to get some 25mm Krylion's in the autumn hoping the current 23mm ProRace3's will last until then. However, I've just spotted a cut in the rear (1500 miles) from part way across tread to half way across sidewall. The outer rubber is cut through and there's some damage to the inner layer but none showing from the inside. There's a very slight bulge with the tyre at pressure (hardly anything though). I'm not sure how long it will last so I've ordered a 23mm Krylion in case.

Actually I'm beginning to wonder whether a ProRace3 on the front and a harder wearing Krylion on the back is a sensible compromise for summer use.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #185 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »
I've been planning to get some 25mm Krylion's in the autumn hoping the current 23mm ProRace3's will last until then. However, I've just spotted a cut in the rear (1500 miles) from part way across tread to half way across sidewall. The outer rubber is cut through and there's some damage to the inner layer but none showing from the inside. There's a very slight bulge with the tyre at pressure (hardly anything though). I'm not sure how long it will last so I've ordered a 23mm Krylion in case.

Actually I'm beginning to wonder whether a ProRace3 on the front and a harder wearing Krylion on the back is a sensible compromise for summer use.

Or maybe the new Michelin Pro Optimum??

« Reply #186 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:37:01 pm »
I'm going to try them next for audax - running PR2s that I had lying around at the moment. 

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #187 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »
I'm going to try them next for audax - running PR2s that I had lying around at the moment. 

We are moving our exhibition/publicity stores and I am having a spring clean of stuff - found a pair of original Axial Pro tyres - Halloween ones in black and orange with little pumpkins around the sidewall - they would look lovely on that Orbea I have my eye on! LOL

« Reply #188 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »
:-)

No review samples of Optimums I suppose?   ;D

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #189 on: 06 July, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
:-)

No review samples of Optimums I suppose?   ;D

No bloody tyres FULL STOP! :"(

« Reply #190 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:05:11 pm »
I know that you have little influence, but can you point out to your superiors that they are going to start losing customer?

I thought I'd found my perfect tyre in the carbon 25, but I can't wait months for michelin to get round to making some more. I'm not going to spend more on a tyre that doesn't last as long.

so I'll probably end up buying another pasela tg.

It's hard to recommend a tyre to someone when it just isn't available.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #191 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:08:15 pm »
I know that you have little influence, but can you point out to your superiors that they are going to start losing customer?

I thought I'd found my perfect tyre in the carbon 25, but I can't wait months for michelin to get round to making some more. I'm not going to spend more on a tyre that doesn't last as long.

so I'll probably end up buying another pasela tg.

It's hard to recommend a tyre to someone when it just isn't available.

I have little influence? Do you know who I am?? LOL

Actually, we are largely at the mercy of local conditions being as we produce in the far east - apparently the political disruption in Thailand earlier in the year screwed everything up and took us a while for us to resolve. We are now back at full capacity and of all of the current back orders of tyres and tubes, 50% will be cleared this month and 90% of the total by the end of next month with a priority given to premium road tyres...but maybe not in 25C!

« Reply #192 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »

You're KJ, who keeps telling us about tyres that never appear.  :demon:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #193 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:23:15 pm »

You're KJ, who keeps telling us about tyres that never appear.  :demon:

Thats not actually my offical job title although its all I seem to do at the moment - trust me I am as p*ssed off as everyone else as I provision what the UK are going to sell, forecast my production demands and outline my product needs and then they don't make what I want which leaves me fending enquiries from customers all day when I should be doing something fun! :"(

« Reply #194 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »
Move the factory to Crumlin.  You know it makes sense.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #195 on: 06 July, 2010, 03:33:03 pm »
Move the factory to Crumlin.  You know it makes sense.

Crumlin as in Ireland?? I think the labour costs might be slightly jigher than the Far East! :s

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #196 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »
So how come everyone's got 23mm grey Pro Race 3 tyres reduced to 20 squid? I've bought a few - is there something I should know?!?

[I actually destroyed a brand new one days before the MC1K - metal staple/tie thing went straight through sidewall and tube. Fortunately the other one has managed 800 miles without trouble.]

And how come the 2 that just arrived from Planet X had no packaging (it was like opening a bag of snakes) ?

EDIT: oooops. I seem to have purchased the "Light" model this time. Guess I'll reserve these for special occasions / good conditions only.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #197 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »
No packaging probably means OEM

I don't think I've ever paid more than £22 for a PR3, only a fool pays the rrp.
Maybe there is a PR4 coming out soon?

Great great tyres, but easily trashed.  I've got a couple of Krylion carbons on the way.  £19 from CRC.  Am prepared to sacrifice a bit of speed for longevity.

« Reply #198 on: 12 August, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »
Anyone seen cheap PR3s around in pale blue?
I've have the grey ones (and they're getting thin) they're just a bit too dull... for a tart like me  ::-)

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #199 on: 12 August, 2010, 04:37:07 pm »
So how come everyone's got 23mm grey Pro Race 3 tyres reduced to 20 squid? I've bought a few - is there something I should know?!?

The dark grey version was removed from the line-up of colours for 2010 and replaced by the all black tyre. Any residual stock would have been liquidated to our wholesale distribution partners - including any OEM stocks which would be loose/unpackaged. Hope this answers your questions!