Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 47228 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #250 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
That's good news. I'm not really bothered by a look-alike called 'Nichelin' or whatever (though I'm sure your legal dept would be) because, as you say, even if you did overlook the misspelling, the quality and design would probably as 'adidos' (once sold in every town market here in Eastern Europe) is to the real adidas. An actual half-decent fake would be a different issue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The Mechanic

« Reply #251 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
new Krylions arrived today.  Another point to CRC

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #252 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »
Ha - only just spotted this thread.

In your previous thread, you mentioned an upcoming marathon supreme killer.

Was that ever released? And what is it?

Thanks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #253 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:57:00 pm »
Hi KidJambo.

I've raised this in another thread, and someone suggested it was something I should ask you.

I was riding my fixed in the snow yesterday, and realised that, unless the snow gets really deep, or particularly lumpy, then using my three speed fixed would be good, if...

If I could find some tyres (no bigger than 700x28) which are a bit chunky - like CX tyres - but with a decent degree of puncture protection for urban commuting.

See, the snow very rarely gets too bad here in London, so something that would be better than my regular tarmac tyres, but doesn't need to be studded (can't be - they're waaay too big to fit).

Any suggestions?
Getting there...

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #254 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:37:22 am »
...tyres (no bigger than 700x28) which are a bit chunky - like CX tyres - but with a decent degree of p*nct*r* protection for urban commuting...

We are really struggling for something that fits the bill here for you - I would suggest you are looking for a Trekking tyre rather than a City tyre - we have Tracker and Pilot Tracker that both have a slight block tread and excellent pucture resilience....but start at 35C width I'm afraid.

I hate to admit it but you might be better looking to Schwalbe as their range in this area is superior (in quantity of products although not quality I am sure) to ours! Hope that this helps :D
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #255 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:28:59 am »
Any chance of a 700x23c with studs?  I'm only half-joking.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #256 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:25:23 pm »
Clarion:
Have you considered "ordinary" CX tyres? They're not something I have experience with (except looking at bikes), but I would imagine they'd be more P-resistant than equivalent road tyres. I know they vary a lot (for different conditions): picking the ones with deepest tread would perhaps give you a lot of p-protection without any fancy linings.

(I have ridden with someone using CX tyres on dry tarmac, and he has no problems with handling or similar.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #257 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »
That's the direction I'm going.  Just thought I'd give it a try...
Getting there...

« Reply #258 on: 03 December, 2010, 07:44:49 pm »
Something tougher than Schwalbe Durano or Panaracer in 520 - 25s or 28s, for the Airnimal.  If Marathon + was available in a small enough profile to fit, I'd buy them after my two duranos each lasted less than 200kms.  However, if the market isn't big enough for the brommie, I'd imagine my wish is in the fanciful category.

« Reply #259 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
More of a question for KidJ than anything else....but others may have input too.

Following on from earlier discussions upthread, I finally got some 700x25 Krylions from CRC....., at last their stock, my need, available funds all came together.
Just put them on the postal scales. One of them is 254 grams, the other is 266 grams.   Now I'd except some variation and I'd be the last to claim these scales are in any way scientifically accurate, but they are more or less consistent.... and 5% between what would expect to be two tyres from same batch seems quite a lot ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #260 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
Pete:
I'd be interested to know if they go equally easily onto the same rim!
(The variations in reported fitting stiffness is often attributed to small variations in manufactured tyre dimension.)

I've just had one from CRC too, might weigh it later.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #261 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »
More of a question for KidJ than anything else....but others may have input too.

Following on from earlier discussions upthread, I finally got some 700x25 Krylions from CRC....., at last their stock, my need, available funds all came together.
Just put them on the postal scales. One of them is 254 grams, the other is 266 grams.   Now I'd except some variation and I'd be the last to claim these scales are in any way scientifically accurate, but they are more or less consistent.... and 5% between what would expect to be two tyres from same batch seems quite a lot ?

You are right in saying that there are tollerances when it comes to the sizing and weight of cycle tyres - and Michelin tend to be more exact than others I must say - never come across a differential between two "identical" tyres before to that extent though - would be interested to see if they fit the same onto the rim oas one obviously has more material than the other which may make it stiffer and thus harder to fit
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #262 on: 02 March, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »
What is the real precision of your scales?
Do they actually measure to the gram or to a larger unit (and just give the impression of being precise to a gram)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #263 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »
Even the cheapest electronic scales are usually precise to 1 or 2g nowdays.  Accuracy is a different matter, and unknown unless you test with a known weight, but I suspect most are accurate to within about 4g (if placed on a level firm surface).

I've found similar differences as PpPete with tyres of the same model.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #264 on: 07 March, 2011, 04:07:50 pm »

You are right in saying that there are tolerances when it comes to the sizing and weight of cycle tyres - and Michelin tend to be more exact than others I must say - never come across a differential between two "identical" tyres before to that extent though - would be interested to see if they fit the same onto the rim oas one obviously has more material than the other which may make it stiffer and thus harder to fit

Sorry for delayed update on this.... a weekend's riding got in the way!
And of course on the principle that one should never make major changes before longer rides I decided to tempt the faeries by having one last go on the Stelvios......error !   First deflationary event in nearly 2000 miles.

Anyway as part of the cleaning/fettling session today I fitted the Krylions.  No appreciable difference in ease of fit, if anything the heavier one was marginally easier.  But certainly not difficult to fit on Open Pros anyway.   None of the "squeeze it into the well and work it around" that you have to do on Marathons according to the Spa video.

As for accuracy of scales.... a 200g weight from old-fashioned kitchen scales ....showed as 200g, adding a 100g weight showed up as 301g on the screen.  Not exactly scientific but a fair indication.  I also weighed the tyres again before fitting, same number as last week, so we know they are consistent across a range of different atmospheric conditions.

« Reply #265 on: 07 March, 2011, 07:04:50 pm »
Hmm. I've just ordered a pair of Krylion 25s for my Audax bike.  I was going to order two pairs so I have fresh ones for PBP but I'll check they're as good as they used to be first!

« Reply #266 on: 08 March, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
Hmm. I've just ordered a pair of Krylion 25s for my Audax bike.  I was going to order two pairs so I have fresh ones for PBP but I'll check they're as good as they used to be first!

I've not ridden mine yet... but you know that by the time you've decide you like them that they will be out of stock again ?
This is what the French call: La loi d'emmerdement maximum ....  one for your PBP phrasebooks.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #267 on: 08 March, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

I've not ridden mine yet... but you know that by the time you've decide you like them that they will be out of stock again ?
This is what the French call: La loi d'emmerdement maximum ....  one for your PBP phrasebooks.

The marvellous Michelin online translator gave that as "The law of emmerdement maximum" LMAO

« Reply #268 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:00:37 am »

The marvellous Michelin online translator gave that as "The law of emmerdement maximum" LMAO

Now I know I shall have to avoid any cow pats on country lanes....

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #269 on: 09 March, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »
Something in 700x28C similar to Panaracer Paselas. 

« Reply #270 on: 10 March, 2011, 05:39:14 pm »

Good point.  I've ordered a second pair.

« Reply #271 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »
Request to Michelin and other tyre companies:

Please make your tyres available in traditional amber sidewall/black tread in addition to the various colour combinations.

« Reply #272 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »
Request to Michelin and other tyre companies:

Please make your tyres available in traditional amber sidewall/black tread in addition to the various colour combinations.

You want Panaracer Paselas you do!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #273 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
Now show us what it looks like after an hour of braking in the rain  :demon:

Please stick to black sidewalls, Michelin and Vittoria, et al.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #274 on: 10 March, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »
Now show us what it looks like after an hour of braking in the rain  :demon:

Please stick to black sidewalls, Michelin and Vittoria, et al.

I only said make in amber sidewall/black tread in addition to the various colour combinations, eg black sidewall and tread, green sidewall/yellow tread etc etc..