Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 47219 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #200 on: 12 August, 2010, 04:48:26 pm »
So how come everyone's got 23mm grey Pro Race 3 tyres reduced to 20 squid? I've bought a few - is there something I should know?!?

The dark grey version was removed from the line-up of colours for 2010 and replaced by the all black tyre. Any residual stock would have been liquidated to our wholesale distribution partners - including any OEM stocks which would be loose/unpackaged. Hope this answers your questions!

Ahh.. that explains it (having just put a pair of dark grey PR3 23mm on the new wheels with the Latex inner tubes. The tyres are a bugger to fit on Fulcrum rims.. Much swearing and hoping to not get a puncture ensues.

Roll very nicely though.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #201 on: 12 August, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »
So how come everyone's got 23mm grey Pro Race 3 tyres reduced to 20 squid? I've bought a few - is there something I should know?!?

The dark grey version was removed from the line-up of colours for 2010 and replaced by the all black tyre. Any residual stock would have been liquidated to our wholesale distribution partners - including any OEM stocks which would be loose/unpackaged. Hope this answers your questions!

Its weird how you say about the tight fit - had a few comments really - although usually on Campag rims. Ours fit best on Mavic or Sehimano - who we test with basically - but it does seem to be that when you get a tyre and rim manufacturer from the same country they work well together - strange isn't it! LOL
Ahh.. that explains it (having just put a pair of dark grey PR3 23mm on the new wheels with the Latex inner tubes. The tyres are a bugger to fit on Fulcrum rims.. Much swearing and hoping to not get a p*nct*r* ensues.

Roll very nicely though.
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #202 on: 12 August, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
Krylions still get mentioned in reviews as excellent training tyres with outstanding puncture resistance  :thumbsup:

« Reply #203 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:26:35 pm »
Not being in the same expert class as most of your respondents I have only just skimmed this. FWIW, for purely recreational/can't-afford-other-transport riders I reckon most important quality is ease of getting on/off, in the dark, in the wet, in the cold...

I gave up on most "p.... resistant" tyres ages ago - nearly all are difficult to fit. As ALL tyres will go pop sooner or later, I simply choose those that, when they do, I can easily change the tube!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #204 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:29:08 pm »
I use Mavic rims and the Michelin tyres I use I can remove ( unlike Nutty ) without tyre levers.  Just thumbs is all I need.  That is all that is require to get them back on too.  Makes it much less of a hassle on the commute.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #205 on: 12 August, 2010, 06:06:03 pm »
Not being in the same expert class as most of your respondents I have only just skimmed this. FWIW, for purely recreational/can't-afford-other-transport riders I reckon most important quality is ease of getting on/off, in the dark, in the wet, in the cold...

I gave up on most "p.... resistant" tyres ages ago - nearly all are difficult to fit. As ALL tyres will go pop sooner or later, I simply choose those that, when they do, I can easily change the tube!

I agree, except Schwalbe Marathon Plus is an exception.  The chance of each one ever puncturing in its whole life is so low that it's worth the slight risk of one day having hassle.

I am still prepared for it, however, and I wouldn't advise anyone using a tyre that they can't remove and refit themselves.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #206 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »
EDIT: oooops. I seem to have purchased the "Light" model this time. Guess I'll reserve these for special occasions / good conditions only.

I fell for that one too!  It wasn't easy to spot in the ad.  Still, should be interesting to try them! :-)

« Reply #207 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
"The chance of each one ever puncturing in its whole life is so low that it's worth the slight risk of one day having hassle."

Well...other than on some of the legitimate cycle trails at the Beeston end of Attenborough Reserve (for Nottm readers!) where there has been a spate of carpet tack-strewing by locals in recent weeks. I've had more blow outs in 3 weeks than all last winter!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #208 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »
Actually, we are largely at the mercy of local conditions being as we produce in the far east - apparently the political disruption in Thailand earlier in the year screwed everything up and took us a while for us to resolve. We are now back at full capacity and of all of the current back orders of tyres and tubes, 50% will be cleared this month and 90% of the total by the end of next month with a priority given to premium road tyres...but maybe not in 25C!
I presume production in Thailand refers just to the Krylions and Pro 3s? As the other day I bought a World Tour which is made in Czech Republic. Perhaps I should add that I'm not in the UK but Poland, so maybe out of your area, figuratively and literally.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

« Reply #209 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »
I use Mavic rims and the Michelin tyres I use I can remove ( unlike Nutty ) without tyre levers.  Just thumbs is all I need.  That is all that is require to get them back on too.  Makes it much less of a hassle on the commute.

Usually I can do that but this particular combination were rather tough. I ended up having to use a tyre lever to fit the tyres.

..d

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #210 on: 13 August, 2010, 08:45:47 am »

It is weird how a combination of tyres and rims from manufacturers in the same country always seems to offer a perfect fit! LOL

I should point out that we largely test with Mavic and Shimano so tend to have the best fit on these rims!
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #211 on: 13 August, 2010, 08:49:17 am »
Actually, we are largely at the mercy of local conditions being as we produce in the far east - apparently the political disruption in Thailand earlier in the year screwed everything up and took us a while for us to resolve. We are now back at full capacity and of all of the current back orders of tyres and tubes, 50% will be cleared this month and 90% of the total by the end of next month with a priority given to premium road tyres...but maybe not in 25C!
I presume production in Thailand refers just to the Krylions and Pro 3s? As the other day I bought a World Tour which is made in Czech Republic. Perhaps I should add that I'm not in the UK but Poland, so maybe out of your area, figuratively and literally.

They must be old stocks as I am fairly certain we don't produce any tyres in that plant anymore only some tubes

All tyre production is in the Far East now; premium (folding) tyres in Thailand and standard (rigid) tyres in Taiwan

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #212 on: 13 August, 2010, 08:52:04 am »
EDIT: oooops. I seem to have purchased the "Light" model this time. Guess I'll reserve these for special occasions / good conditions only.

I fell for that one too!  It wasn't easy to spot in the ad.  Still, should be interesting to try them! :-)

Lights are really designed for time trials etc - the durability and p*n*t*r* resilience has been sacrificed for weight saving - bloody lovely if you can afford to change them all the time though!

David Martin

« Reply #213 on: 13 August, 2010, 08:58:49 am »

Lights are really designed for time trials etc - the durability and p*n*t*r* resilience has been sacrificed for weight saving - bloody lovely if you can afford to change them all the time though!

Which are the Light? The Service Course? I have those on the bike and was rolling like an absolute dream. Then again it was slightly downhill and the pies may have something to do with it.. (90 kg, 110psi)

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #214 on: 13 August, 2010, 09:00:38 am »

Which are the Light? The Service Course? I have those on the bike and was rolling like an absolute dream. Then again it was slightly downhill and the pies may have something to do with it.. (90 kg, 110psi)

The lights are clearly marked....all Pro3 tyres carry the "Service Course" logo

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #215 on: 17 August, 2010, 06:10:15 am »
Not your department I know but can you make it easier to navigate to cycling products on michelin.co.uk UK? On Safari at least I have to navigate elsewhere in the site before I see the 'Change Site' option.

Secondly your wildbike site recommended me Wildgrips but I can't find any information on them on the site! What sizes are they in? More specifically do you do a 29er version?

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #216 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:42:47 am »
Not your department I know but can you make it easier to navigate to cycling products on michelin.co.uk UK? On Safari at least I have to navigate elsewhere in the site before I see the 'Change Site' option.

Secondly your wildbike site recommended me Wildgrips but I can't find any information on them on the site! What sizes are they in? More specifically do you do a 29er version?

It really isn't my department but I am aware of the issues - the old website is out of date and the new website is not up and running as yet. There should be more on the global site (Michelin group: Tires, car tire maker, guide michelin, michelin map and sustainable mobility)

I can send you a brochure if you PM me your address but the Wild Grip'R is available as;

26 x 2.00 Advanced Tubeless

26 x 2.00 Tube-type

26 x 2.10 Tube-type

26 x 2.25 Advanced Tubeless

26 x 2.25 Tube-type

26 x 2.40 Advanced reinforced Tubeless

26 x 2.40 Reinforced Tube-type

26 x 2.50 Descent

26 x 2.60 Heavy-Duty Descent

The onlt 29" currently available (hint) is in the Wild Race-R sculpture

« Reply #217 on: 25 August, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »
Referring back to previous discussions about Krylion Carbon 25s.....

I see CRC are no longer forecasting September, it's now END NOVEMBER

KJ ..... what's the story?   Pretty sure I will need to buy something before November, and PR3 are not really an option for me in the winter.

« Reply #218 on: 25 August, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »
I bought some a couple of weeks ago

David Martin

« Reply #219 on: 25 August, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »
Referring back to previous discussions about Krylion Carbon 25s.....

I see CRC are no longer forecasting September, it's now END NOVEMBER

KJ ..... what's the story?   Pretty sure I will need to buy something before November, and PR3 are not really an option for me in the winter.

Pro 3 Grip. Fantastic through the winter unless you live in the land of flints.

..d

« Reply #220 on: 25 August, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »
From where Flatus?

« Reply #221 on: 25 August, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »
Oh sorry! It's the 25mm you are after, I use 23mm Doh!

this place has them but £5 more

« Reply #222 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:03:09 pm »
Yeh, I've got a 23mm on the rear at the moment with a 23mm PR3 on the front but fancied trying two 25's for the winter. Thanks anyway. Think I might just stick to conti's for the winter ;)

« Reply #223 on: 02 September, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »
If my last pair of Schwalbe Stelvio Evo 25s are shot before the Krylions come back in, I now have a pair of Bonti Hardcase RaceLite 25 in reserve. The budget for the Krylions may get blown on some studded Shwalbe Winter tyres.

« Reply #224 on: 02 September, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »
i would be interested in a GOOD 406 touring tyre and i know a number of recumbent and folder cycle riders who would benefit from such a tyre  :). at the moment i am using big apple and supreme by schwalbe   . a lot of recumbent riders race there machines so how about one of your race tires in 406. for touring a good tread that is as resistant to cuts as much as possible with a medium thickness sidewall  to keep the weight as low as possible without sacrificing strength  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see