Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1605243 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11900 on: 11 March, 2020, 07:53:59 am »
Anybody else get irked by small power supplies which have the UK plug orientation the wrong way round?

I have a belkin surge protected 8 socket block and most power supplies that plug into it have the body of the PSU sitting to the outside of the unit (wire exiting from live and neutral side) so that the facing socket can be used.  But some have the wire and body sitting over the earth plug so that it blocks 2 sockets.  It irks me as I then either have to move all those to a single array of sockets or put up with empty sockets.  It ends up generally looking untidy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11901 on: 11 March, 2020, 08:51:12 am »
It's not just a UK problem. "We're important enough to take two parking spaces" seems to be an industry mantra.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11902 on: 11 March, 2020, 09:06:26 am »
Meanwhile tendinitis is better, bike is clean, weather is vile.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11903 on: 11 March, 2020, 01:09:45 pm »
Anybody else get irked by small power supplies which have the UK plug orientation the wrong way round?

I have a belkin surge protected 8 socket block and most power supplies that plug into it have the body of the PSU sitting to the outside of the unit (wire exiting from live and neutral side) so that the facing socket can be used.  But some have the wire and body sitting over the earth plug so that it blocks 2 sockets.  It irks me as I then either have to move all those to a single array of sockets or put up with empty sockets.  It ends up generally looking untidy.

Yes.  Of course, it solves the problem of plugging into a wall socket that's suboptimally close to the floor (or other surface).  The pragmatic approach seems to be to have the body sticking out from the plug (which is my favoured approach for travel chargers), but that's a pain if you've got some piece of furniture in front of it.  It's also hopeless with inferior forms of mains plug (I'm glaring at you, leftpondia) which like to fall out.

At least we've mostly got past the era of bulky linear supplies with a whoppng great transformer in them, which would block the socket either side of them.

« Reply #11904 on: 13 March, 2020, 04:37:16 pm »
John Atkins, Leamington: When I book a slot for you to look at my Bosch e-bike electrics, tell me you need the whole bike, not just the battery. I told you it was the battery at fault. Then, when I drop it off, tell me you need the keys (which I had on me) to sort things out. Luckily I could slip out of work and drop them off. You do this all the time, I don't, so tell me what needs to be done. Then, when you have the bike all day, please call me to let me know whether or not (I assume not now) that it's going to be fixed today. All in all, not the smoothest experience.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11905 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:21:48 am »
Saturday I went to Halfords to make a distress purchase of M8 nuts and bolts.  I had to get an assorted pack of nuts, screws washers and bolts (insert old joak here).  Anyhoo, get back home and start to deploy them. Reach for 13mm spanner, on account of that's what M8 nuts are. Except theses aren't. 14mm. What fresh hell is this?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11906 on: 16 March, 2020, 08:16:44 pm »
I have tried every shop I can think of trying to get paracetamol  .all I  can find is empty shelves   :(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #11907 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:33:58 am »
Day one of working from home and I think I've broken my toe walking to my "desk" (aka the kitchen table). :facepalm:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11908 on: 17 March, 2020, 11:01:24 am »
my most ironic stubbed toe was on the turbo-trainer - not broke on that occaision
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11909 on: 17 March, 2020, 11:16:12 am »
Day one of working from home and I think I've broken my toe walking to my "desk" (aka the kitchen table). :facepalm:
I'm so pleased that someone has an even less office-like office than me.  :D (I have an actual desk but it's in the living room... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11910 on: 18 March, 2020, 07:50:13 am »
I have tried every shop I can think of trying to get paracetamol  .all I  can find is empty shelves   :(
I've been trying without success to get paracetamol & ibuprofen since I got home Feb 26. This would be close to becoming a rant as I would expect to need a pack of each to take to work with me next Tuesday. However....

My country of current employ has closed its borders until 15 April1.  Great, 3 extra weeks off2. 3 unpaid weeks off.

1Hands up anyone who thinks this will all have blown over by April 15?  Anyone?
2I currently work in Forrin on a 28/28 basis though with travel its 26 days at home and 30 away, 7day working.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11911 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:55:46 am »
If you can't find packs of Paracetamol look for the packs of own brand "Cold & Flu" remedy or Lemsip capsules,  they usually contain the same amount of Paracetamol as an ingredient mixed with a few other things.   Obviously make sure none of the other ingredients disagree with you!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11912 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:47:12 am »
Cheers andrewc  :thumbsup: 
Only thing I need to avoid is caffine. Paracetamol Plus gives me a right nasty headache which since the times I've tried it have been for a not quite so nasty headache is sub optimal.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11913 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:52:19 am »
Oh dear.  A lot of those things do contain caffeine I'm afraid :-(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11914 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:48:29 pm »
Yeah I can't take the caffeine paracetamols, they give me jitters despite my tea habit.

« Reply #11915 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »
Best washed down with a double espresso  :jurek:     :hand:

ian

« Reply #11916 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:31:37 pm »
Dug out the old turbo training thing that I acquired on a whim back in the olden days. Tried it once or twice, got bored, buried it at the back of the garage. Anyway, the archaelogical dig unearthed it from behind the Ikea furniture we're still to get rid of, along with a with a bike to attach to it. That bit, of course, is a plus.

The bike has a flat rear tyre. Pump that up. Looks good, I'm about to put the cap back on the valve when the innards of the valve eject themselves at some velocity through the open garage door. The tyre lets out a terminal sigh of despair. So do I. Start hunting a new inner tube, there must be a spare somewhere in the garage. There are lots of spares, just not for skinny tyres, except for one leaking one that I remember giving up trying to fix.

OK, I'll fix it. Go get the puncture repair kit out of my pannier. Get ready to deploy the glue. Squeeze. Squeeze. The glue has set. OK, praise be to Marathon Pluses, it's been a while. Move to plan b, somewhere in my bag of tools have some self-adhesive patches that I bought for those emergency quick fixes. Also some time ago. They're about as sticky as sandpaper now, but some bodging manages a seal that when pressed against the tube by many PSI may hold.

Finally, ready to go, I get on the bike. My this resistance lever control level is stiff. Push... snap.

Then, 45 sweaty minutes later, on a hook on the garage wall, I noticed a brand new skinny inner tube.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11917 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
[Insert Jerome K Jerome quote here]

« Reply #11918 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:54:53 pm »
Why is it that I only seem to have gear cable inners that are too short or start to unwind themselves as soon as I touch them. The short ones, obviously, don’t fray. Also the “universal” outer is about 30cm too short for by bike’s needs (fully enclosed, two derailleurs).

I wonder if any online bike shops are still trading...

« Reply #11919 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:37:01 am »
Real bike shops are permitted to stay open! They can cut cable to length, ask them to molish an appropriate nipple.

« Reply #11920 on: 24 March, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »
One of my neighbours is taking advantage of lockdown by doing some DIY hammering  >:(         

ian

« Reply #11921 on: 24 March, 2020, 04:06:24 pm »
That's all my neighbours. Thunking, grinding, tree cutting, random hammering.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11922 on: 24 March, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
Our new neighbours celebrated by having a smoky bonfire all day.

Davef

« Reply #11923 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:24:41 pm »
Our new neighbours celebrated by having a smoky bonfire all day.
Practicing for day 27 of the lockdown when the death management provisions sch 1 article 7 kicks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11924 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:07:37 am »
Grrr, Bl**dy mothership IT chose this week to update the security protocols around ActiveX and Java from internet explorer without any warning or announcement. Client IT at the same time pushed their remote access to a system that requires both of these to operate.

The new security protocol silently stops the activeX launching the remote access. It took two hours last night with IT trying to update Java and ActiveX before finding the fix that was simply to use chrome!