Author Topic: Off-road audax  (Read 23577 times)

Re: Off-road audax
« Reply #75 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:14:50 pm »
For Jan 3rd I'm just planning on doing the Lutudarum...

Interesting/interested... will have a look at options for getting to Hassop, could end up being quite an early start/long day if I have to ride out from Manchester in the morning!

« Reply #76 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:48:56 pm »
We'll be doing the route anti-clockwise so if you want to meet us at Blackwell Mill about 30 minutes later then that would be fine. At the end of the day you'll just be left with the fairly innocuous roll down the Monsal Trail back towards home.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #77 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »
There. Use to be a 50km from denmead using the southdowns and a old railway line. I have thought about reviving it.

I've just spent a few mins looking at maps but can't see anything obviously circular. There's a fair few E-W routes (primarily the South Downs Way) but a dearth of N-S off road routes. The Meon Valley Trail (defunct railway line once used for pre-D-Day meetings by Churchill) is the obvious link but ideally I'd want something else to complete the route.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #78 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »
It depends how high a percentage of Off Road you want, but you could get well over 110k out of following the Basingstoke Canal from Odiham then join the River Wey (North to the Thames Path and beyond) or South down the River Wey to Guildford and picking up the Downs Link to Shoreham.    You could just retrace to Odiham for a 95% Off Road Experience OR go West along the South Downs Way to later get back to Odiham via some fine Hampshire lanes.    But still way  over 50% Off Road.

I plan to give this a go myself soon, as I fancy the challenge of completing a 200k Off Rd within the 13hr 20 mins limit when quite a lot of it will be in the dark.    As most Events are circular'ish I quite enjoy there and back routes for a change.   Especially where there are good quality Refreshment stops as you get to visit them twice.    Also there is not the annoyance of having to ride well over distance to qualify for a minimum 200k, as you can just turn round after 100k.

« Reply #79 on: 19 December, 2015, 09:19:49 am »
We'll be doing the route anti-clockwise so if you want to meet us at Blackwell Mill about 30 minutes later then that would be fine. At the end of the day you'll just be left with the fairly innocuous roll down the Monsal Trail back towards home.

I was toying with that idea, alternatively I'll see about staying with my parents as they're half way between and I'll get an extra hour or two in bed  :thumbsup:

Now to ponder if I should dig out the knobbly tyres or stick with 35s and mudguards...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 19 December, 2015, 11:24:40 am »
An out-n-back calendar event along tow-paths could be pretty hilarious.

[i'd hope that the AUK risk police would notice, but you never know ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 19 December, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »
Although I appreciate the option to use them for cycle routes, I'd by reluctant to send an audax down more than a short stretch of towpath. Something about them feels like they aren't appropriate for group rides with a time limit. That's not just the risk of falling in the water.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #82 on: 21 December, 2015, 01:20:48 pm »
Although I appreciate the option to use them for cycle routes, I'd by reluctant to send an audax down more than a short stretch of towpath. Something about them feels like they aren't appropriate for group rides with a time limit. That's not just the risk of falling in the water.

My experience of towpaths from my teenage years was constantly having to stop, dismount, lift bike and step over fishing rods.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 21 December, 2015, 03:50:01 pm »
I think you have to be familiar with the towpath in question.  Some are popular cycle routes, where a few more bikes won't cause undue problems.  Some are busy with pedestrians/anglers/boatists and patently unsuitable for more than small numbers of extremely patient cyclists.  Some are remote tracks miles from anything interesting where the surface may be a bit technical, but cycling isn't going to cause conflict.  Blind bridges, tunnels and Silly Sustrans Gates cause bottlenecks as soon as anyone's going against the flow.  That sort of thing.

And of course there's some potential for manipulation of the flow by where the towpath appears in a route.  Early on and you'll get large bunches of cyclists, towards the end and you may get stragglers in a hurry.

Personally, I think much of this applies to other off-road routes (bridleways, railway paths and the like).  IMHO time limits should be generous enough that riders can always slow down for hikers, pootlers, dog-emptiers and so on.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #84 on: 21 December, 2015, 04:28:17 pm »
I now have to agree with the recent posts re Towpaths and Old Railway lines.   I cycled 40 miles of the River  Wey and Basingstoke Canal on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed myself and was easily able to average just over 17 kph, BUT I would not recommend a large group ride or Event along any of it.   As has been stated, there are just too many other users who have totally different agendas.   

The Fishermen could easily be a bit deaf and decide to stand up and stretch their legs just as you pass (one did on Sunday (no-one drowned thank goodness)) or dog walkers could call their dogs and the dog(s) decide to go in the opposite direction, likewise with young children.  Also most of the bridges are very low, have no line of sight and no passing room.   Crossing roads OVER bridges was just as bad, as many had bad lines of sight.  I was lucky that it was pretty wet, so there weren't too many people out but it was still a stop start ride all day.    The thick mud also made it fun and slippery, but it may be better in the summer.  No way could I have stayed upright on my 23mm tyres road bike;  I only stayed upright and moving forward with 3 inch tyres ( but any MTB would have coped).

Riding on my own caused no one any problems (except the deaf Fisherman) as I was patient with all other users, but I MAY  not have been so courteous if I was up against the 13 1/3 hr time limit on a 200k Event.

« Reply #85 on: 27 December, 2015, 09:02:21 pm »
Giving this a bump:-

JayP and I have been thinking that a 9.00am start should be early enough to enable us to get round with little or no dark riding, although it will probably be claggy.  If it gets a bit tight, we could miss out Hulme End and turn at Wetton Mill cafe (which I think should be open).  Who is still hoping to do this and what do people think about the start time?  I have to get down from Rochdale, at least to JayP's, then on from there.  Of course, the weather may render all this academic but I hope not!

Peter

« Reply #86 on: 28 December, 2015, 08:35:20 pm »
9am works for me. As the person currently with the least distance to travel it would be churlish for me to object. I'll bow to your experience and see you there then.

« Reply #87 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:07:11 am »
Let's leave my experience out of this; just bowing will be fine!

« Reply #88 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »
Should still be able to make it, have another interested too. How much time/km does skipping Hulme End save? Just planning how to get there/back and things...

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #89 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »
Ok. Missing Hulme End knocks about 9km off. It's the Calendar event Start/finish. As the first and last four k's of the calendar ride are along the same stretch of the Manifold Trail that makes Hulme End a pointless detour for us.
Peter and I will  park at Wye Dale Car Park and ride down the Trail to Blackwell Cycle hire to meet up with SK (coming down from Hassop) and Andy + 1.
Is that Ok?

« Reply #90 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »
Thanks, just found the map/GPX and that sense. We might end up driving over, if so we'd probably be parking there too.

« Reply #91 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:26:31 am »
OK, I'll aim to arrive at Blackwell Cycle Centre at around 9am.

Current forecast is looking to be wet in the afternoon. As long as it doesn't get torrential, I'll see you then.

« Reply #92 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »
Chaps, it looks as if Parsley Hay Cafe won't be open that day (will still be able to get water) and I'm not sure about Carsington.  I'll ring Wetton and Carsington as soon as the phones are likely to be manned but it seems wise to suggest that we take stuff to eat with us, in case of no room at the inn.

peter

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #93 on: 31 December, 2015, 07:51:29 pm »
Chaps, it looks as if Parsley Hay Cafe won't be open that day (will still be able to get water) and I'm not sure about Carsington.  I'll ring Wetton and Carsington as soon as the phones are likely to be manned but it seems wise to suggest that we take stuff to eat with us, in case of no room at the inn.

peter

Wetton Mill is open :) http://heycafes.co.uk/01406864/Wetton_Mill_Tea_Rooms

« Reply #94 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:19:49 am »
Great!

« Reply #95 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
All faffed and fettled ready for tomorrow. Will be getting to Hassop around 8:15 and arriving at Blackwell a bit before 9am. Look forward to meeting you there.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #96 on: 02 January, 2016, 10:15:17 pm »
All faffed and fettled ready for tomorrow. Will be getting to Hassop around 8:15 and arriving at Blackwell a bit before 9am. Look forward to meeting you there.

Ok. Peter and I are still up for it - (we may consider our options at Wetton Mill ;D)

« Reply #97 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:47:50 pm »
Bit late but I can't make it tomorrow :( had my lift back out on me earlier and been unable to sort anything. Hope it's a good ride and look forward to hearing how you get on, still keen to have a go at the route soon...

« Reply #98 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:03:04 am »
Thanks for letting us know, andy.  Hope to see you soon.

« Reply #99 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »
Back from today's endeavours in the nigh tropical conditions in the Peak District. JayP, Peter and myself all earning multiple Audax Amphibious Award points (AAA for short). Watch this space for a Super Grenouiller ride near you.