Author Topic: Ortlieb bottle and additional pocket  (Read 1777 times)

Ortlieb bottle and additional pocket
« on: 17 March, 2019, 09:14:46 am »
Anyone got these both fitted to a pannier and can you post a photo. Any pros/cons? My wife's bike has only space for one bottle and we need some more whilst touring.

TIA.... Paul

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Ortlieb bottle and additional pocket
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2019, 12:49:00 pm »
I've recently invested in a set of the pockets for my back-roller classics, in the interests of quarantining wet stuff more than the additional capacity.

Fitting them is scary, as getting them accurately positioned means making precise measurements on a uncooperative flexible surface.  I recommend stuffing the pannier with something suitability amorphous, then using gaffer tape to play around with the position of the template and then marking the hole positions with something that shows up on Ortlieb fabric.  Piercing the fabric with the supplied tool and attaching the mountings is straightforward, and I see no reason the end result is any less waterproof than the mounting of the pannier's hooks (the hole you make should be a tight fit for the self-tapping screw anyway, and the fixings surround it from both sides).

The pockets (and presumably bottle cage) attach in a quick-release fashion, by temporary bending of a plastic strut on the removable part to fit into slots in the mountings.  It's simple with no moving parts, and is a lot more secure than that sounds.  It might not stand up to large numbers of removal/attachment cycles, but I expect you can obtain spares.

Obviously it means you've got a thing sticking out of the side of your pannier.  Having this on the front side is a non-issue on a recumbent (which is all I've used it with so far), but I expect it needs to be on the rear side of the pannier to avoid heel strike on an upright.  In turn, that probably makes it vulnerable to being bashed when manhandling the bike for parking/trains/Silly Sustrans Gates™/etc.  If used for a bottle, I can imagine it getting some mud-splatter - a bottle with a lid would seem prudent if you're going to be riding across fields of wet sheep shit.

Here's some quick-and-dirty photos of one on my Dawes Discovery, which IIRC is an 18" frame.  Wheels are 700c.  (Apologies for the atrocious white balance - trying out a new phone camera in crappy light):

Side view:

I've moved the hooks slightly further back on the rack for this one (they're not properly adjusted for this rack), but I doubt you'd avoid heel strike (also note this is a 160mm crank!):

Here's the fittings on the pannier:

And the back of the pocket:

ETA: For the avoidance of doubt, these pockets are available in two sizes.  These are the *smaller* ones.  The SJS website observes that while you can fit the large ones to a Back-Roller, the pocket will hang lower than the base of the pannier.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2019, 07:38:43 pm »
Having only recently bought a pair of Back Roller Classics I didn't know about the pockets - bought one, excellent so have ordered another.

My fitting method was as follows:

Clamp a bit of wood about 8" wide in the workmate and then slide the pannier on (as if it was like an ironing board)
Measure (twice!) and mark two lines that correspond with the holes in the carboard template supplied - with tailor's chalk (courtesy of Mrs Rob)
Using the tool supplied (or a thin Philips screwdriver is better) make a hole in the bag through just one hole in the template
Insert one of the screws to hold the template in position (do not screw into the wood, just enough to hold the template)
Repeat the hole punching and screw insertion
Remove the screws and template to then insert the screws through the plastic outer piece and screw into the internal bit

All pretty simple - just remember to fit pockets at opposing ends for a pair of panniers!  The key is using the wood and tailor's chalk to get the position accurate.   [Have to say I would think the larger size pockets would be too big to work with the panniers]

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2019, 07:40:25 pm »
Clamp a bit of wood about 8" wide in the workmate and then slide the pannier on (as if it was like an ironing board)

Excellent suggestion, that would have made it so much easier.

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2019, 09:55:28 pm »
Kim,

If this forum had a way to 'star' your post be absolutely assured it would be on its way.

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2019, 11:27:00 pm »
My Primus fuel bottle with the stove pump attached lives in the Ortlieb add on pocket when I go touring. Only problem with carrying fuel is that the internal coating has died as the pump has a ball bearing and o ring type of seal so will leak a tiny drop of fuel when you disconnected the stove. The outer fabric is still OK, must be at least 10 years old now.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2019, 07:49:20 am »
I'm going to havea trial run with the panniers + pockets on my VN Yukon this coming week - initial plan is to try and get waterproof + rainlegs in one pocket and tubes/spares/tools in the other one.

Rob