Author Topic: Peter Alliss RIP  (Read 1860 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Peter Alliss RIP
« on: 06 December, 2020, 12:35:34 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/55204070

A very familiar voice in Golf Commentary, and still working only a months or so ago.
It is simpler than it looks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Peter Alliss RIP
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2020, 05:04:17 pm »
Can hear his voice, as I remember watching the final hole of the Dunhill Cup in 1990ish next to the green of the 17th on one of the cameras.
Not sure if the camera had speakers or if I had headphones on.

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2020, 07:03:04 pm »
...still working only a months or so ago.

He sounded like he wasn't in good health at all when he was commentating on the Masters 4 weeks ago. RIP.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
...still working only a months or so ago.

He sounded like he wasn't in good health at all when he was commentating on the Masters 4 weeks ago. RIP.

I agree - I had to check online that it was indeed him.

Although I gave up playing golf the day my Dad died (he only made me play in order that he could humiliate me!), I've always enjoyed watching it, and Peter Alliss always made it feel comfortable and fun. Of course, as a crinkly old git, he had a few opinions that were, let we say, challenging, but as a commentator he was just sublime. He will be very much missed.

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »
I don't play or watch golf with the exception of watching The Masters from Augusta every year. My Dad watched it so I did when I was a kid and its just become a tradition for me that marks the arrival of spring. My Dad's gone now and no more Peter Alliss commentary either. He had a lovely voice and manner for commentating.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.