Author Topic: 3G cards  (Read 2208 times)

3G cards
« on: 28 May, 2008, 06:00:34 pm »
Hi folks,

A quick and probably stupid question, but do these work in non-3G coverage areas by providing connectivity at a lower (GSM) speed.  Particularly interested in any experience of Voda/O2....

Jasmine is living in the back of beyond (rural Angelsey) at the moment, and it would be really useful to get some kind of comms connection to her.  BT insist on a minimum 1 year contract for putting in a fixed line, and she's likely to need to move before then, so that's not an option.  Voda and O2 are the only networks with viable coverage in the area.

Thanks,

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

border-rider

Re: 3G cards
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:02:31 pm »
Yes.  I've just gone through the same process to tide us over the move to Monmouthshire

If you've got HDPSA coverage you'll get up to about 2 meg.  if not it drops to standard 3G data rates and if that's not there it'll go to EDGE/GPRS (GSM).  That's with 3 anyway.  But if there's no 3G coverage you might be better off connecting using GPRS over a GSM phone.  Voda have a little desktop app that manages that for you.

More credit to Voda: they've written  a desktop app for 3G modems that works under Linux and works with other networks.  All publically-available, for free :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Have you got a phoneline there anyway? It's not clear from your OP. If so you can get Broadband for shorter periods.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:09:21 pm »
Have you got a phoneline there anyway? It's not clear from your OP. If so you can get Broadband for shorter periods.

Sorry, missed that bit.  No, there isn't, so it would require an installation hence the tie-in.

Thanks,

AC

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:10:31 pm »
Yes.  I've just gone through the same process to tide us over the move to Monmouthshire

If you've got HDPSA coverage you'll get up to about 2 meg.  if not it drops to standard 3G data rates and if that's not there it'll go to EDGE/GPRS (GSM).  That's with 3 anyway.  But if there's no 3G coverage you might be better off connecting using GPRS over a GSM phone.  Voda have a little desktop app that manages that for you.

More credit to Voda: they've written  a desktop app for 3G modems that works under Linux and works with other networks.  All publically-available, for free :)

Thanks MV, that sounds like the answer I'm after.  Presumably GPRS coverage up to the monthly quota of xGb would be available without additional cost?

AC

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:13:28 pm »
Yes.  I don't think it matters what the connection actually is, you might even argue it should be cheaper if you aren't troubling their fast data service :)

My modem has a LED that lights different colours depending whether its HDPSA, standard UMTS or GPRS.

rae

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:23:42 pm »
The old Voda 3G cards are still pretty effective (I use one) and they are cheap second hand with no contract.   They drop to GSM quite neatly, but you need to bring the firmware up to the latest level to do this well.   With it patched properly, it handles train journeys very well.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:52:26 pm »
It would be best to check if there is coverage in your area. I have an application that shows me what kind of connection I am getting; so I know it varies even here at home in a good Orange reception area (I have a 3 card - which defaults to Orange if there is no 3 coverage).

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:51:49 am »
If there is patchy 3G coverage, it's worth setting the card to work on GPRS only otherwise it can keep switching between 3G/GPRS without actually sending any data.
My old Vodaphone card used to do this and it was very frustrating.
I needed to get the IT bods to configure it to give me a choice of profiles- 3G only, 3G preferred, GPRS only.

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:13:07 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

AC

« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:24:09 am »
I've got one of the original Vodafone 3G PC cards sitting round here doing nothing. It'll obviously need a SIM card, but if you've got one already then that would at least show if it will work for you before you look at taking out a contract.

If you are interested PM me - yours for the postage costs or I'll be riding through Anglesey late-ish on on Saturday if you want to pick it up.