Author Topic: offline maps for iPhone?  (Read 628 times)

offline maps for iPhone?
« on: 08 August, 2011, 09:03:42 pm »
To summarise: I'd like an app which lets you access the maps in areas without internet connections.  I'm looking for one (or a couple) which let you hold the maps on your computer, then chuck them onto your phone as and when you want them.

So far, I've downloaded oMaps, which is quite good, but it's a hostage to your internet connection, and a bit of a pain with it, as it so often times out during the download of a large area. The ability to download directly to the phone is ace, if you're on the move, but a bit crap when I'm at home and I need to manually download each one.

So far, I'm looking at Citymaps, but I'd appreciate any actual experience of it or any others.

Chris N

Re: offline maps for iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »
I use Routebuddy Road Atlas: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/routebuddy-ltd./id321361754

1:250000 maps of the UK, all on your phone. 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
I don't have one myself, but i gather navfree uses the OSM maps and keeps them on the device for use offline (except for doing address lookups apparently).

Dunno if you wanted a sat nav app though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ian

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:07:29 am »
You didn't mention whether this was UK only, but I use UKMap which downloads 1:25000/1:10000 OS and OSM data. It's the free OS data so doesn't feature the full detail of the 1:25000 Explorer maps (footpaths etc) but it's genuinely very good. The app is paid-for (if I recall £5.99), the maps free.

You download map data as you need. Very simple, you simply select the area you need. Once downloaded, it will persist on your device. The downside is that map data is big, so you really need to download in advance over a broadband connection. Also there is no means to save downloaded map data 'offline' so it's not taking up space on your device, though you can delete and download as needed. Not a biggie, but it would be handy.

Excellent app really, very detailed mapping, works perfectly with GPS, does 3D contour mapping etc.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:43:18 am »
yes, I'm a convert to UKMaps too.

However I have a suspicion about its battery usage, which I'm looking carefully at...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2011, 09:21:17 pm »
UK and worldwide, really.  It's for cycling and walking.

I'm on a Mac, too, which narrows the options.

Routebuddy looks cool - cheers, Chris. I'll have a skeg at the others when I get chance.