Author Topic: 2D drawing program recommendation required  (Read 1020 times)

2D drawing program recommendation required
« on: 10 June, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
I have to sketch out the necessary in order to build a shed. I need a simple (very!) two dimensional drawing program that will enable me to sketch up plan and side elevations and reliably deduce measurements and angles. Once upon a time I used to use something called 'Visio' but I no longer have this available and it's now 'orribly expensive and way more sophisticated than I need.

It doesn't have to be freeware, just affordable, reliable and SIMPLE to use. Any thoughts, oh Great and Wise Ones :-\

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: 2D drawing program recommendation required
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »
Inkscape would be my choice. You can specify sizes, put stuff on different layers etc.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:08:44 am »
Thanks David, Inkscape looks promising; I'll have a play with it.

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2015, 01:55:19 am »
SketchUp is a an easy-to-use 3D/Cad tool that can also produce 2D drawings.
Autodesk Inventor can do the same, but learning curve is a bit harder.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2015, 01:30:27 pm »
I have looked at SketchUp in the past - even downloaded a Trial version - but I found it difficult to get into.

I'm almost certainly asking too much I suppose. Most of these programs seem to be able to do amazing things and I'm coming at them as an absolute beginner so I must expect a steep learning curve.

I've also found QCAD, which looks rather similar to Inkscape. QCAD has a Users' Forum, where I have learned the simple fact, in answer to my query as to why I couldn't find a scaling tool, that: "In CAD you always construct in real sizes (1:1). Even if your drawing is several meters in size"
This answer alone has saved me much frustration, looking for something that doesn't exist! But it illustrates a commonly encountered frustration - the people writing the Help/Manuals don't appreciate how much we newbies DON'T know and omit to state the basic stuff that they assume everyone is aware of!

Since first posting, I have played about and managed to resurrect my aged copy of Visio. I used to know my way around this, to a basic level of competence, but even here, I'm having to relearn quite a bit, so sadly I have to conclude that the problem is more my own inadequacies than with the software! :facepalm:

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »
I would  use gridded paper, choose a scale that enables you do to cutout separate bits of paper that represent stuff that will be going in the shed.

Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the walls. Can be up to 5" with wooden sheds (although more commonly is aobut 3)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2015, 01:42:03 pm »
....... cutout separate bits of paper that represent stuff that will be going in the shed.
;D  It could well end up like that!

Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the walls. Can be up to 5" with wooden sheds (although more commonly is about 3)
Yup, been there, done that!