Author Topic: Trunk Bags.  (Read 5313 times)

Re: Trunk Bags.
« Reply #50 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »
My Tailrider is about a dozen years old and still going strong. All the seams and zips are still in good functional shape. The velcro attachments are original and still work fine, but if ever they don't, it would be an easy job for anyone with a sewing machine to replace the loops at least.

I see comments saying it's not very roomy. Maybe not as roomy as some, but you do know it expands a lot? Loosen the straps right off and I can get extra warms, tights, a fleece pullover, etc, along with the usual tools and tubes and such inside it no problem. Or if I need more space can easily strap the rain jacket to the top.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, the Tailrider and an Ortlieb bar bag have worked for me for a few tens of thousands kms of brevets.

Yup just pulled mine out again. Ample velcro. Solid little bag. Ideal for a 3 dayer like PBP, LEL I should imagine. Too tight for a longer  (2 week type) trip IMHO.
I actually used it on TCRno5 but ended up using an under seat bag on top of it too so I could store more gear.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXKPnGHjQSw/?igshid=eg22qqqmb0wp

often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »
The great thing about the Tailrider is that it doesn't look stupid on a fast recumbent, the way a typical shoebox-style rack bag would.

« Reply #52 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:40:45 pm »
They are nicely designed. 

It depends on what you carry adn what other bags you have.  I recall Chris White, who does carry a lot of stuff, used one on TCR 2016 and was keen on it.  But he has since moved on to bigger bags.

I have Arkel's seat pack, which is also good.  Has an internal frame which makes it rock solid, so much that I typically carry a litre bottle of water strapped on top, and fully waterproof, which is nice to have for me.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 09 October, 2020, 03:40:18 pm »

My tailfin bag arrived today. There's been a mix up re the extender so that has yet to arrive. Without it I'm going to really struggle with this bag.

Will be interesting what it's like to use long term tho. Might take it for a test ride after dinner.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #54 on: 10 October, 2020, 08:43:28 pm »
i've got some sketches of custom prototypes i want to make for myself (both a rack and a tail bag). i've got someone to make a rack, still keep searching who could make a custom bag, from ortlieb type material, ultrasonically welded. aerodynamic shape and weighing under 600g ideally (rack+bag).

Here you go. Bag maker asking for ideas :

Is there any type of bike bag that you want but haven’t been able to find or get for some reason? Or any features you’d add to bags you do have? (I’m working on something)

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1314099056419966977?s=19

« Reply #55 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:59:41 pm »
We were out on the tandem today for the first time in ages. I was reminded how good that Arkel Tailrider is. It easily and neatly carries enough of two of us.

« Reply #56 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:05:43 pm »
We were out on the tandem today for the first time in ages. I was reminded how good that Arkel Tailrider is. It easily and neatly carries enough of two of us.

I started a thread on this subject not too long ago.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114911.msg2467225#msg2467225

Despite lots of good suggestions, I have carried on with the Tailrider and I have really come round to it again. I very rarely need to carry more than it can hold - there’s a lot of expansion available there.

« Reply #57 on: 15 October, 2020, 12:29:33 pm »
Update.
I rode the sunlite bag down to the sail shop in Ye Olde Towne of Saint Georges yesterday and had the sailmaker look over the bag for a possible do over with more rugged materials.
The conclusion was that its actually a pretty well made bag with decent zips etc.
The conclusion was beefing up the velcro attachments and having a custom rain cover fitted for it would be good enough.
often lost.