Author Topic: Bar / frame bags for folders  (Read 2502 times)

Bar / frame bags for folders
« on: 02 February, 2020, 10:41:28 pm »
*Looks around warily*

It may come to pass that I acquire a folding bike.

I’ve always liked a top tube bag by way easily accessible storage on a *cough* normal bike. What works well on a folder?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bar / frame bags for folders
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »
Depends on which bike you want to mount it to. How it folds makes a big difference.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2020, 11:02:33 pm »
One or two of these dangling from the handlebar will work well with no top tube to interfere.

(on Bromptons some people take the little saddlebag and dangle it from the handlebars, though there's no point buying one specially for a different kind of bike)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2020, 11:17:52 pm »
The rear pockets on the popular Brompton front luggage are reasonably accessible when you're riding along.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2020, 05:48:55 am »
One or two of these dangling from the handlebar will work well with no top tube to interfere.

(on Bromptons some people take the little saddlebag and dangle it from the handlebars, though there's no point buying one specially for a different kind of bike)

I was just having the same thoughts and was looking at the alpkit version of those, more expensive of course, but they are sold as waterproof, and have zip closure. One or two of those and a good sized saddlebag would easily take my audax kit that is currently in a rackpack
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2020, 08:37:54 am »
Depends on which bike you want to mount it to. How it folds makes a big difference.

Probably a Tern Vektron - big fat cross tube, very tall stem. There is a set of bottle cage mounts on top of the main frame tube - could use that for bottle-shaped storage. That plus some kind of stem mounted pouch would do.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2020, 08:46:54 am »
The Vectron has a head tube fitting to let you mount a bag or small rack. The fitting is similar but not identical to the Brompton head tube braze-on.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/gear/1008
https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/gear/471/hold-em-basket
https://www.ternbicycles.com/gear/472/luggage-truss lets you mount Klickfix handlebar bags.

Don't most of the Vectrons have a rear rack anyway?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:38:03 am »
They have a massive rear rack, larger stuff will not be an issue, but I'm after something to keep small items to hand, easily accessible when riding.