Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753265 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #10350 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »
We received a strong recommendation for the Kings Head in Tollesbury from one of the riders on the Kelvedon Oyster. 

He had me at £2.60 a pint but there was some more information as well including 5 ales on tap.

Might be one for a winter week when Tomsk is otherwise engaged or for those more miles less beer nights in the summer.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #10351 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »
We received a strong recommendation for the Kings Head in Tollesbury from one of the riders on the Kelvedon Oyster. 

He had me at £2.60 a pint but there was some more information as well including 5 ales on tap.

Might be one for a winter week when Tomsk is otherwise engaged or for those more miles less beer nights in the summer.

THIS ROUTE from the OD Library of Routes takes the Witham Peloton past the King's Head.  We did a truncated version on 16th March last year.

« Reply #10352 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:34:19 pm »

Tollesbury, more miles? Ah, you mean for Tomsk  ;D

He was very complimentary about the pub indeed and even the jokes about the locals were being shot down. I must agree though, the one thing I really remembers was the £2.60 a pint.

That might be a busy night for AndyC33

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10353 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:50:15 pm »
He was very complimentary about the pub indeed and even the jokes about the locals were being shot down. I must agree though, the one thing I really remembers was the £2.60 a pint.

He'll be fine.  He isn't the trophy winner for nothing you know.  Mind you, perhaps we should get him some roller skates, or a hoverboard so he can get to and from the var more efficiently. 

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #10354 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »

He'll be fine.  He isn't the trophy winner for nothing you know.  Mind you, perhaps we should get him some roller skates, or a hoverboard so he can get to and from the var more efficiently.

Is a 'var' a posh word for a bar......?  ;D

« Reply #10355 on: 24 January, 2017, 06:58:17 pm »
Any update about haggis?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10356 on: 24 January, 2017, 07:50:46 pm »
Any update about haggis?

ted is probably out shooting them right now. Haggis are nocturnal aren't they?

« Reply #10357 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:46:37 pm »
Wild haggis are but unfortunately most are battery farmed these days!

See anyone from the witham peleton at the spa roundabout

« Reply #10358 on: 30 January, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »
Dare I ask about this week so early on? I seem to remeber seeing something about the Totham Compasses as Huggy has some official business to take care of?

I am off on a work trip at some unreasonable time on Thursday so will not be hanging around for long again (famous last words).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10359 on: 30 January, 2017, 04:51:37 pm »
Dare I ask about this week so early on? I seem to remember seeing something about the Totham Compasses as Huggy has some official business to take care of?

I am off on a work trip at some unreasonable time on Thursday so will not be hanging around for long again (famous last words).

I believe you are correct.

My plan is that I will get back from Berkshire as quickly as I can and then head for the Compasses at GT.  Please don't wait for me if  I am not at Spa Road roundabout by 7:30.

Regarding the FORWARD PLANNING scoreboard [braces for the usual torrent of abuse  ;D ].  If you just count Wednesday evenings the score stands at 9/16 so I'm still winning  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10360 on: 31 January, 2017, 09:16:52 pm »
Poor me: I'm still a bit sniffly and have had a couple of disturbed night's sleep. I want to be right for Saturday, so I'm being sensible and staying in tomorrow evening :(

Have a good one  :D

« Reply #10361 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:34:39 am »
GWS Tomsk. The house of Tippers has a bug running rampant at the moment, I have escaped unscathed, so far.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10362 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:50:51 am »
GWS Tomsk. The house of Tippers has a bug running rampant at the moment, I have escaped unscathed, so far.

Same here. TCMR has been laid low with flu which I have dodged so far.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10363 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:29:39 pm »
How about this for a route for this evening from Witham.  Should be a before 9pm arrival and short ride home will allow for not too late a night.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10364 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »
Who can be expected at the 7:30 departure from Spa Rd roundabout this evening?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #10365 on: 05 February, 2017, 03:41:52 pm »
Still settling in to this new job, but looking forward to the commute next week - can you save me the spot right at the back of the witham bike park - if i park Tilly the tandem there it won't get in too many people's way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10366 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »
Would the Kings Head at Tollesbury (as recommended by one of the riders on the Kelvedon Oyster) be too much of a stretch for a cold winter's ride on Wednesday ?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10367 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »
Would the Kings Head at Tollesbury (as recommended by one of the riders on the Kelvedon Oyster) be too much of a stretch for a cold winter's ride on Wednesday ?

Potentially - I'm in London on Wed, but hope to be home in time to eat and ride.... might be a cold ride home though...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10368 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:45:46 pm »
It's warmer by the sea  :thumbsup:

It will be a cold ride home from anywhere on Wednesday night by the looks of it.

Can we add the Endeavour in Springfield to the list of pubs we need to visit.  Daughter no.1 has just moved in next door and describes at as "a bit of an old man's pub", which sounds ideal.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10369 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »
 :thumbsup: With my Capt. James Cook links I've had it on my list to visit also (it's just a bit too far out of town for our Sunday pub walk)....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10370 on: 06 February, 2017, 01:02:44 pm »
:thumbsup: With my Capt. James Cook links I've had it on my list to visit also (it's just a bit too far out of town for our Sunday pub walk)....

What links are those jibers?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10371 on: 06 February, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »

What links are those jibers?

Slightly tenuous but... we share the same home village, Marton. (plus my school was Captain Cooks :thumbsup: )  So it's always nice to have something to remind you of home...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook

(bit like finding an iron girder in a railway station roof and it's got Dorman Long stamped on it! :) )

Perhaps we could have some sort of theme on pub visits this year linked to something we each have a tenuous link to... ?  ???
Regards,

Joergen

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #10372 on: 06 February, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »
Can somebody give me an executive summary how these Mid-week ACME rides work? When do you guys usually rock up at the pub? In spring/early summer, I may be tempted to show up once in a while, as this may be a nice excuse for a longish mid-week ride after work.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10373 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »
Someone nominates a pub destination and if there is a enough consensus people turn up around 21:00 at that destination.  Sometimes there is a semi-organised ride departing 19:30 from Spar Road RBT in Witham, but it depends on how far away the ride is from Witham as to the departure time.  TMNH often features in the ride to the pub.

There is an underground movement advocating forward planning, there is a similar underground movement trying to wreck any forward planning... the tension between them means we usualy end up in a pub somewhere in Essex on a Wednesday night :)  :thumbsup:

This is the thread where the destination is mostly sorted out...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10374 on: 06 February, 2017, 05:05:45 pm »
For those who live on the borders of mid-Essex, the forward planning is good to identify evenings when the chosen venue is reasonably reachable. The forward plan is a little hard to find, but I have noted the following evenings which are to the west of mid-Essex:

22 Feb - Compasses, LG
15 Mar - Rose & Crown, Gt Waltham
22 Mar - Cock, Hatfield Broad Oak

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43