Author Topic: iPad? Or something else?  (Read 10239 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: iPad? Or something else?
« Reply #50 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:57:53 am »
I said that about the iPhone until I got one...

(Which I think is actually a good argument for not getting one.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #51 on: 04 March, 2011, 11:40:11 am »
I still haven't found a good enough need for one yet.

They do seem to evolve to fill a niche you aren't aware you have.

I had been holding off for the iPad 2 - I confess to being a bit underwhelmed - but will probably be sucked into the shiny as I have held out this long. I really, really wanted it to have an external media slot, I'm no fan of iTunes as anything other than a music library. I did have a play with a Xoom, but wasn't overly impressed. Build wasn't as nice and the OS not quite there. Just didn't have the swish.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #52 on: 04 March, 2011, 01:24:11 pm »
It seems that third generation = maturity in tech terms.

I tend to agree - the first couple of iPods were ok but the interface took time to mature, and I didn't think the iPhone reached its potential until iPhone 4 (3rd generation in reality).

I also don't feel the need for one. I do a lot of stuff on my desktop Mac that needs a keyboard, mouse and decent audio in/out, my old Powerbook stays in the living room for sofa-surfing. I can't see a niche in between.

I watched the video of the event last night and it's quite entertaining. GarageBand looks especially impressive.

« Reply #53 on: 04 March, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »
So, the iPad2 is announced; evolution, not revolution.  Tempted by it still, but also by the 25% reduction on the current models.

So, iPad1 on the cheap, iPad2 or neither....

Well, if you are considering an original iPad now with the price reduction, I might be able to offer you one even cheaper.

I bought an iPad a fortnight ago without knowing the new model was imminent (doh!). With more thought I realise an android tablet will suit me better so I'm going to see if the retailer will accept it back (Apple are authorising returns of the original so Im going to ask if this extends to models sold by other major retailers). If the answer is no I'll be looking to sell this one.

It's two weeks "old", perfect condition, with box and all the bits and reciept etc... be happy with £350 for it (It's a £500 32gb model, which Apple have now reduced to £400).

Lemme know if you might be interested, I hate Ebay.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #54 on: 04 March, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »
I bought an iPad a fortnight ago without knowing the new model was imminent (doh!).

I think they have a 14-day window for things like this - but only if you put the credit towards the newer model, or an Apple Store gift certificate.

With more thought I realise an android tablet will suit me better

???

LEE

« Reply #55 on: 04 March, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »
So, the iPad2 is announced; evolution, not revolution.  Tempted by it still, but also by the 25% reduction on the current models.

So, iPad1 on the cheap, iPad2 or neither....

As I always seem to do with technology (phones, Windows OS and suchlike) I'll wait for the 25% price reduction on iPad version 4.  It will probably do something I need by then.

« Reply #56 on: 04 March, 2011, 09:36:56 pm »
I think they have a 14-day window for things like this - but only if you put the credit towards the newer model, or an Apple Store gift certificate.

Apple's 14 day return policy is "no quibble". You don't need to accept a credit note or purchase an alternative, you can just try out a product and if you're not convinced hand it back for a full refund, no questions asked.

I didn't buy direct from Apple though, so I have to rely on the return policy of another retailer.

With more thought I realise an android tablet will suit me better

???

Android allows more tinkering and flexibility in set up and usage, as opposed to the Apple iOS slick but rigid rules approach. The iPad is a very clever and impressive thing, but I'd prefer the extra latitude Android allows.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #57 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »
Apple have some scheme where if you buy something just before a new version comes out they'll let you exchange it for the new one. I think... If you buy a Mac and then a new version of OS X comes out you can get a DVD with the new OS for £5 or something.

My puzzled smiley was tongue in cheek - iPad 2 is pretty impressive and I've heard many people lusting after them already it's hard to imagine anybody wanting anything else. Looks like a great gadget but I don't have a justifiable niche for it either.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #58 on: 04 March, 2011, 11:52:48 pm »
I think '3' will be the one.

I think they've brought out '2' to toy with the opposition, who actually haven't brought out their '1' yet.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #59 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:57:36 am »
Well, I've gone and done it. I bought an iPad 2 ;D

Going to buy it this morning was clearly a shrewd move because I had to wait for under an hour before being served. When I arrived, they only had 16GB and 32GB black wifi models available and the staff claimed that the remaining people in the queue would clean them out.

« Reply #60 on: 26 March, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »
Similar experience

I was in Chichester and there were only a few people in the queue!

An hour later I was in possession

Apparently Brighton was inundated with Thousands

ian

« Reply #61 on: 26 March, 2011, 08:49:53 pm »
I confess, I wibbled and bought one - though online since I'm not one for queuing, and I was in Nottingham (which has yet to be blessed by the Appley Retail Experience). Their website is claiming 3-4 weeks. I'm in no hurry, I've survived this long without one, be interesting to see if it arrives sooner. If the v3 is the one (and it probably is), my wife gets the hand-me-down. She can break any computer device by just looking at it anyway.

« Reply #62 on: 26 March, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »
I'm quite impressed about how badly the opposition are doing.

When the iPad was originally launched there was much rumbling about how expensive it was, and that companies like Asus would produce cheap Eee type versions at a fraction of the cost.

Currently there isn't a whole lot of choice in Android tablets, they're mostly more expensive than iPads, and often only have Android 2.2, not even 2.3, let alone 3.0. :-\

Which is a shame, since I'd probably buy a cheap Android Tablet.  I'm not about to turn over £400 for an Android 2.2 tablet.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #63 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:49:47 pm »
Saw them today in Bristol, and am comfortable with my decision not to upgrade.

They are droolicious though.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.