Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 302139 times)

Self satisfied grin.
In 2023 office subscriptions stopped allowing macros in word. Now I have about 25 voice activated macros so this was a real annoyance.
So today I learnt how to create my own signed certificates, import them then use them to sign my Visual Basic project in the normal template.
I will sleep happily tonight with a feeling of smug success.

Until Microsoft break it again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Twitter seem t  have reinstated their ‘bird’ icon, having swapped to the almost illegible and very inconspicuous X a few days ago.

Must have realised few visited a tab they hardly recognised...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Mine's been showing the wanky “X” for ages.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

It’s much more likely to be incompetence / bitrot than Musk having any sort of self awareness.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mine only started showing the X atop the tab a few days ago but has now reverted, which means I SEE it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Penguinised the older BHPC Jam-Filled Babbage Engine, with a view to reducing our single points of failure for the Worlds.

I'm not sure of the exact vintage, but it's an indestructible Toshiba Tecra that sports:
a) An optical drive
2) A serial port
iii) A trackpad with proper buttons that doesn't think it's cleverer than you and still works when prodded by sweaty cyclists
four) A "Designed for Windows XP" sticker

Suffice to say, successive Windows 10 updates had got it to the point where it was basically unusuable.  Further investigation revealed a Core2Duo something or other, 4GB of RAM, and a very non-original-looking battery and SSD.

Anyway, after burning an install CD[1], it's running Debian with LXDE surprisingly well, and just needs a bit of python-wrangling[2] to sort out an environment that'll run the timing software[3].  Not surprisingly both the on-board WiFi and wired Ethernet work fine under Linux.  The wired wasn't supported at all by Windows 10, and the ancient WiFi driver worked, but couldn't handle WPA2 encryption.  We'd previously relied on stuffing its USB ports with dongles in order to connect it to the Internet and/or the Box Of Winky Lights™, which is presumably why some joker has stuck an Apple sticker on its lid.

Real Excel hopefully won't be needed.  I've installed LibreOffice in case manual wrangling of sign-on sheets is necessary.

Hopefully it won't get used for anything more intensive that displaying the Javascript version of the race clock at Race Control.

[1] Couldn't persuade it to boot from a USB drive, and I have a stack of blanks right here.
[2] Steve Irwin style
[3] Minus the finish line video capture stuff, which is a RAM hog and potentially very storage intensive.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Got a spare credit card terminal, then you can play DOOM on it

https://mementomori.social/@xepher/112264794175001231
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
So why have lighttpd suddenly decided to start on boot after I don't know how many reboot and therefore blocking nginx from running at its best ?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hurrah!  Someone has finally come up with a wee program that can create/modify $TRUCK_SIMULATOR texture object files* in bulk instead of my having to laboriously cut'n'paste Stuffs one file at a time into a wanky Thing that doesn’t do keyboard shortcuts, like I have been for the past Several of years :thumbsup:

* part-ASCII and part-gibberish so can’t be fed through normal text editors
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Plusnet contract was ending in a couple of weeks, and rather than go for another 18 months at the same speed (down to about 54mpbs from 76kpbps back in 2013), though a cheaper price, £27.99 (due to phone service no longer being included), went with a CityFibre installation and Toob as ISP. It's £25 a month. Just a bit quicker...
(ethernet, or Wifi6 if you're in the room with the router....)
Had the install booked some weeks back, two or three weeks back a couple of CF guys did a quick survey and ran a cable over from the telegraph pole. Install time was given as between 8am and 1pm. Got a call at 7.15 to say they were on the way. Here at 7.55, out again within an hour, nice neat tidy job and the service was active before the van even pulled away. A very good start!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So do you know any where I could use a power supply test a microsoft surface tablet to see if it still works.

As I don't fancy spending any money till I know for sure that the thing works.