Author Topic: Leaking french doors  (Read 3521 times)

Leaking french doors
« on: 16 July, 2011, 08:21:51 pm »
We have some french doors in the extension and last week the doors let alot of water in. I wasnt here but the rain was pretty heavy. Earlier today they did the same thing.
The whole door frame got a clean out and wipe down after the first time.
Just now ive cleaned up the frame again and shoved some stiff wire down the drain holes. No idea where these lead though. Anyone know where they normally come out? Under the door in removed any dirt and the build up of compost. Under what you would class as the lip/bottom step of the door i cleared out aswell. Theres a small gap between this and the top step which was clogged up.
All this cleared i tried to find where the wire came out again. Theres some water sitting in these drains already but nothing seemed to go anywhere.

Anyone got any suggestions of things to try to sort this out? They arent new doors, must have been up now 5/6 years and they have only just started to leak.

Cheers

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: Leaking french doors
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »
Are there any rubber seals that have perished or got deformed by a twig or something and then letting water in?

You don't say what material the doors are made of. If it's wood, have they warped? If UPVC, all I can think of is the seal thing I mentioned above.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »
UPVC.
Doesnt seem like theres any twigs or anything that can deform the seals to let water in, and they dont feel perished. I did think it was strange that water was coming in, and apparently the amount thats coming in is quite a bit. I wouldnt expect this from some heavy rain but i suppose if its heavy enough and going straight at the doors causing lots of run off then this might be it.
Would putting some stuff on the seals, like i use one my car for the black plastic, help it out in any way?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2011, 09:06:21 am »
Are these actually french doors (hinged) or sliding patio doors?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »
Like it says in the title, french doors(hinged) not those sliding patio doors, as they would be sliding patio doors.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »
Some of our relatives call any large opening "french doors"  ::-)

What direction was the wind blowing?  My first house only ever leaked once, but it leaked like a sieve.  Heavy rain with an easterly wind is quite rare in the UK and whoever fitted the windows on the east wall had omitted to run mastic between the frame and the brickwork on the outside.  When the heavy weather came the rain ran down the wall and into the crack at the top of the window.  So...check your mastic.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.