Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 214334 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #650 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:54:21 am »
What killed her? There are no obvious wounds in the photo.

The bottom bracket thread is no longer attached to the frame. Bonding dissolved.
That's different... I've now got that Horrible Histories song 'Stupid deaths' in my mind.  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #651 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:49:21 am »
When I was a kid, with convenient a Little Brother™ to act as test pilot for such schemes, I tried using a skateboard in place of a front tyre on a bicycle to see what would happen...

(click to show/hide)

Many summers ago the Hewetson brothers, who I think were bike shop proprietors from the Brighton area, concocted a Device which they called the Weevil.  Recumbent posture, FWD single-speed transmission (might have been fixed), rear end a skateboard truck.  Insane fun, though as an approved turning method was using a grounded hand as a pivot, sturdy gloves were a must.  They went on to build the Sting Weevil, which was the same thing with seven gears and didn't work, and a Vector clone which did.

Then there was the Super 7 which appeared at Battle Mountain the same year SB Wiggins won the Tour. Tadpole trike using inline skates instead of front wheels :facepalm:  Giovanni Rey earned a 50 mph Hat in spite of this obvious handicap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #652 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:55:29 am »
Yet another load of firewood last night in my plastic crate on the Carry Freedom Y Trailer.  I'm gradually getting through the pile of waste timber that needs bringing home for the wood burner next winter.

All of which prompted me to look at the Carry Freedom website. Ye gods they have some interesting load hauling accessories including an extension arm up to 3m long and a wide beam axle option.

* Quisling heads to the Xmas wish list and starts writing.... *

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #653 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:52:48 am »
I've got the extension arm.  It cost about as much as getting the timber I wanted delivered.  Works really well, though you have to start thinking about being an articulated vehicle on corners.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #654 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:02:55 pm »
Wasn't me, and didn't involve a bike, but shout out to the guy transporting a lawnmower on the front of his mobility scooter while dodging some of Bournville's finest speed cushions earlier.  It was business-end-forward like something from a really low-budget Mad Max film.

« Reply #655 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:19:37 pm »
When I was a kid, with convenient a Little Brother™ to act as test pilot for such schemes, I tried using a skateboard in place of a front tyre on a bicycle to see what would happen...

(click to show/hide)

I've got a few of these if you want another try...   :demon:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #656 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
Had to deliver some heavy goods to a mate last night in the form of reclaimed paving slabs.  I racked up some top quality eccentricity points as I bowled past the busy local pub garden sporting my new beard (channeling the "young Wowbagger" look), togged up in hi-viz and towing two large slabs which were rattling worryingly on my Carry Freedom Y trailer in spite of the velcro straps attempting to hold them still.  Bonus points for a orange rucksack.  Glad I didn't go for three slabs.

Earlier, I'd completed a couple of 4 mile round trips to fill my haulage crate with firewood to bring back to Quisling towers ready for the winter.  Feeling the legs a bit today.  Plenty more free timber to collect yet though....

#quislingsclimateemergencyresponse  ;D

Splendid tool, the Carry Y. For stuff on the flat bed, Quisling, I recommend using a couple of proper webbing straps, that one can tighten and the non-return clamps do not let the webbing run back. I found the velcro jobbies only effective on lightweight, springy loads. For smooth, hard materials, a bit of old foam camping mat gives good grip and saves the gritty deck from being ground against the load.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #657 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:45:01 pm »
Splendid tool, the Carry Y. For stuff on the flat bed, Quisling, I recommend using a couple of proper webbing straps, that one can tighten and the non-return clamps do not let the webbing run back.

Seconded.  I have some straps like these: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/summer/travel-and-touring/bungee-strap-and-ratchet-straps/?549778721&0

For smooth, hard materials, a bit of old foam camping mat gives good grip and saves the gritty deck from being ground against the load.

And for actual lumber, using a woodworking clamp to secure it is simple and effective.

« Reply #658 on: 26 August, 2019, 01:05:16 pm »
Splendid tool, the Carry Y. For stuff on the flat bed, Quisling, I recommend using a couple of proper webbing straps, that one can tighten and the non-return clamps do not let the webbing run back.
Seconded.  I have some straps like these: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/summer/travel-and-touring/bungee-strap-and-ratchet-straps/?549778721&0

Thirded, although I've got a Lidl purchased strap, which is the sort of thing that lorry drivers use.  I'm afraid to do it up too tight, since the the Carry Y's wooden bed would probably not survive that!

For smooth, hard materials, a bit of old foam camping mat gives good grip and saves the gritty deck from being ground against the load.

It also saves whatever you're carrying from being ground up, too!  DAHIKT !
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #659 on: 26 August, 2019, 01:12:45 pm »
Thirded, although I've got a Lidl purchased strap, which is the sort of thing that lorry drivers use.  I'm afraid to do it up too tight, since the the Carry Y's wooden bed would probably not survive that!

Yeah, I've got one somewhere with a proper ratchet which is overkill for this application.

I've also drilled some extra small-diameter holes in the trailer bed to give additional bungee cord options.

« Reply #660 on: 26 August, 2019, 03:18:52 pm »
... I've also drilled some extra small-diameter holes in the trailer bed to give additional bungee cord options.

My Carry-Y is progressively gaining more and more holes and fittings.  At the end of the day, it's just a sheet of wood.  I can probably easily replace it with something, when and if it becomes too cheese-like with perforations. :D
Actually, it is rocket science.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #661 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:33:20 am »

(click to show/hide)

I've got a few of these if you want another try...   :demon:

Name your place!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #662 on: 27 August, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
I’ll check the tyre and bring you one sometime, to borrow, if you like.  ;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #663 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:32:37 pm »

« Reply #664 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »
Ice in his veins? ;D

« Reply #665 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:53:41 pm »
Turning right is overrated.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #666 on: 20 October, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »
Carried a large-ish oil heater (barely fitted under my arm) a couple of kilometres to a mate’s place, on my trike. Car drivers slowed down a lot and gave the trike looney a lot of room.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #667 on: 04 December, 2019, 11:17:02 pm »
From my son and his tree in Copenhagen!
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #668 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:56:55 pm »
It's that time of year, again...

I had 2 smaller ones in the small trailer yesterday.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #669 on: 17 December, 2019, 09:33:11 pm »

Dunno if it counts if it's for work. But today was about 40kg of chocolate. Riding rush hour with a bike weighing 60+kg was an interesting experience...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #670 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:44:26 pm »
I imagine 40kg of chocolate would give you quite a rush, yes...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #671 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:16:07 pm »
I imagine 40kg of chocolate would give you quite a rush, yes...

All of it, bar 2 bars in my bag were in sealed packages, and all got to their destination on time. The phone call from the boss asking me to do 5km across central Amsterdam at rush hour, in <20 minutes made for a fun challenge. Made it with 2 minutes to spare, without jumping any red lights, and without killing any tourists.

J
--

« Reply #672 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:31:54 pm »
My, you boss must like chocolate though ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #673 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:51:07 pm »

My boss just wanted me back at the depot in time to connect with the van picking it all up.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #674 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:33:31 am »

My boss just wanted me back at the depot in time to connect with the van picking it all up.

J
Are you couriering there now. QG? I thought you were some sort of software-programmer-coder-electronic-geek person?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.