Author Topic: Badminton racquet advice ....  (Read 1479 times)

Badminton racquet advice ....
« on: 19 December, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
Mrs FF finaly decided she was an Badminton racquet fro Christmas.  She's beginners but has good basic skills due to former Tennis playing.  Am looking to spend say £40-50

Any advice/recommendations?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Badminton racquet advice ....
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »
"Yonex Voltric Pegasus" is possible to get for around £40-50 on sale.
It's a great all round racket at a really good price.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »
+1, I would also change the grip for a karakal PU one but that's just me.
Maybe if she's used to tennis head-heavy might be better than head light http://www.yonex.co.uk/products/badminton-racquet-matrix/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2014, 03:36:05 pm »
I used to play quite a bit of badminton when I worked at HMCE. We had a very active club. I was never better than mediocre but I did find that when I forked out for a more expensive racquet I found it more enjoyable to use. I'm going back over 20 years and I can't recall the cost, but I wonder whether £50 would get a decent racquet for someone who is already a skilled racquet player.

What do other players use? And what do they pay?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2014, 05:17:29 pm »
Badminton racquets like bike saddles are a very personal thing.  Best advice is to go to a local badminton centre that has as shop and try a few out.  Depending on her style of play - attack, defence, singles, doubles, mixed - may influence her choice. There are also different handle thickness's. As above, the Karakal PU grips are brilliant and worth getting a couple.  Also, the type of string and tension can make a big difference to feel.

My tuppence worth (ex-Scottish U21 player)

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:13:40 pm »
I've played for about 5 years at a local club, and you probably want a Badminton Racket between £30-50 as a beginner/club player, you'll want it to be made of graphite - this site has a specific page for beginner rackets that might be useful to you - https://badmintonhq.co.uk/collections/badminton-rackets-racquets?_=pf&pf_t_player_level=Beginner

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:27:15 pm »
Thread necromancy!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:51:41 pm »
Thread necromancy!
;D

And welcome, mr flywalker  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Davef

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:26:34 pm »
Badminton racquets like bike saddles are a very personal thing.  Best advice is to go to a local badminton centre that has as shop and try a few out.  Depending on her style of play - attack, defence, singles, doubles, mixed - may influence her choice. There are also different handle thickness's. As above, the Karakal PU grips are brilliant and worth getting a couple.  Also, the type of string and tension can make a big difference to feel.

My tuppence worth (ex-Scottish U21 player)
Despite you experience, if your badminton racquet is causing similar issues to your bike saddle, I suspect you are using it incorrectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk