Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626929 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8525 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
I must retract an earlier statement. I had a look at the wrapper on a block of Comté last night and it said store at 4°-10°C.  15/16°C still applies to soft-crust cheeses, though, and you have to let any cheese warm up to room temperature before eating it.  One of the best bits of cheese I ever tasted was a Cantal that had lived in a pocket of my rucksack for several days in September when the temperatures were in the high 20s.

The ready sliced processed muck sold by Kraft and others is not cheese.  $DEITY alone knows what it is but it sure as hell isn't cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JahMQ5T4058

Applies to US but I doubt if it's much different in the UK.

As for slavish adherence to "best before/use by" dates? Hah!  If it's not moving of its own volition it's safe to eat. :)

Dunno. Once the outside of a Camembert has turned deep orange I don't much care for it. As a friend once observed on setting one such out her cheese board, "on dirait un sexe négligé".  OTOH we buy Camembert as close to its best-before date as possible, since that way it's reasonably mature.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8526 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:38:15 am »
And that's another thing. When I am World Dictator* they won't be called cheese "triangles" cos they are patently _not_ triangles they're _sectors_.  So start practicing subjects^wpeople.  After me, say, "Cheese Sectors"  :)

*If an orang-utan with yellow nylon candy-floss for hair can do it why not me?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8527 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:04:11 am »
Segments ...     :demon:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8528 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:41:19 am »
Alas no.  Sector - think portion of pie chart.  Segment - think of orange segment in profile.  Although were you daft enough to think Edam worth eating - waits for furious reponses ;) - then you could have a segment of vaguely cheese like product, but that would, in my opinion, be carrying masochism to an heretofore unheard of extreme.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8529 on: 07 January, 2017, 11:10:26 am »
I must retract an earlier statement. I had a look at the wrapper on a block of Comté last night and it said store at 4°-10°C.  15/16°C still applies to soft-crust cheeses, though, and you have to let any cheese warm up to room temperature before eating it.  One of the best bits of cheese I ever tasted was a Cantal that had lived in a pocket of my rucksack for several days in September when the temperatures were in the high 20s.

The ready sliced processed muck sold by Kraft and others is not cheese.  $DEITY alone knows what it is but it sure as hell isn't cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JahMQ5T4058

Applies to US but I doubt if it's much different in the UK.

As for slavish adherence to "best before/use by" dates? Hah!  If it's not moving of its own volition it's safe to eat. :)

Dunno. Once the outside of a Camembert has turned deep orange I don't much care for it. As a friend once observed on setting one such out her cheese board, "on dirait un sexe négligé".  OTOH we buy Camembert as close to its best-before date as possible, since that way it's reasonably mature.

+1

We had some Friends visit us in North East Lincs from London, on a hot summers day, bringing cheese they'd brought from France, V hot day, traffic jams, four hours in the footwell. It could have walked into the house unaided, stank the place out but was absolutely superb
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8530 on: 07 January, 2017, 02:15:14 pm »
Alas no.  Sector - think portion of pie chart.  Segment - think of orange segment in profile.  Although were you daft enough to think Edam worth eating - waits for furious reponses ;) - then you could have a segment of vaguely cheese like product, but that would, in my opinion, be carrying masochism to an heretofore unheard of extreme.

The pedant in me agrees with the Lurker but won't suggest this part of the thread migrates to Food and Drink....
...yet!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8531 on: 07 January, 2017, 04:49:25 pm »
I've just got in from a 330 mile round trip delivering #1 son's cat back to Bournville.  Mrs B, with the best of intentions, won't stop offering me stuff.  Coffee?   Dinner?  Aperetif?  Please stop trying to make me think.
I'm frazzled.  Yes I would like a coffee, but I want to make it myself.

I'll be fine in 20 minutes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8532 on: 07 January, 2017, 06:48:07 pm »

We had some Friends visit us in North East Lincs from London, on a hot summers day, bringing cheese they'd brought from France, V hot day, traffic jams, four hours in the footwell. It could have walked into the house unaided, stank the place out but was absolutely superb

Reminds me of some cheese we bought in Le Touquet - unbelievable aroma, although it tasted excellent - we had a Discovery at the time and ended up putting the cheese in a carrier bag inside the spare wheel on the outside of the back door for the journey home (getting out of the car in le Shuttle train and you could smell it)

Rob

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8533 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:05:55 pm »
Wife and son are watching "Britain's not Got Talent" or some such drivel. Normally I'd go to the pub but I'm doing a dry January.

Bah!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #8534 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »
You don't have to drink alcohol in the pub.  Apparently.    :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8535 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »
Are you sure about that Basil? It's a pretty bold statement to make unless you can back it up ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8536 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
Basil lecturing the former world's scariest barman on pub etiquette?

This could end badly
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #8537 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:41:38 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #8538 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »

Reminds me of some cheese we bought in Le Touquet - unbelievable aroma, although it tasted excellent - we had a Discovery at the time and ended up putting the cheese in a carrier bag inside the spare wheel on the outside of the back door for the journey home (getting out of the car in le Shuttle train and you could smell it)

Rob

Obviously not a Corsican one, otherwise you'd have sparked a major security alert.  :demon:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=90159.msg1954172#msg1954172
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #8539 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:27:31 pm »

I see them as segments just as I see segments of an orange or a Warwickshire Truckle. .  Iirc, pie charts can be defined in terms of segments or sectors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8540 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
My (somewhat rusty) understanding is that a sector is a bit of a circle where the dividing line(s) are perpendicular to the edge and pass through the centre point.  A segment is just any bit of circle cut off by a single line.  Cut the circle in half and it qualifies as both.

Bonus points for cylinders, heads, tracks, blocks and so on...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8541 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:53:29 am »

Rob

A German colleague of mine once bought a Livarot in Evreux and went home to Kiel with it in his briefcase.  He told me later that the folk on the train in Germany kept looking at him in disgust - they thought it was him.

Our local stinker is Munster, from the valley at the foot of Col de la Schlucht. Down there they say that the storks fly in circles because they have one wing over their nostrils.  It's great with cumin or big sweet gherkins, or melted on a tarte flambée, although everyone in the restaurant knows when you've ordered one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #8542 on: 08 January, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »
went out on the bike today. M5 recumbent in long distance format with dyno hub etc and luggage.

Didn't enjoy it. Cold, legs hurt, lost route, slow.  Harumph!

fuzzy

« Reply #8543 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »
So, for more years than I care to remember, I have been interested in photography. I even got paid for it as a copper. There were times when I had more 35mm film pots than I had £'s in the bank.

Now, when I need one to modify for telescope collimation, can I find one?

Can I bollox >:( I even asked at the photographers next door to the bike shop.....

Digital  :facepalm:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8544 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »
The water has just stopped in the site office and the temperature is expected to stay below zero here for a couple more days. No prizes for guessing the likely cause.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8545 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »
So, for more years than I care to remember, I have been interested in photography. I even got paid for it as a copper. There were times when I had more 35mm film pots than I had £'s in the bank.

Now, when I need one to modify for telescope collimation, can I find one?

Can I bollox >:( I even asked at the photographers next door to the bike shop.....

Digital  :facepalm:
Last time I  needed some (alka seltzer fuelled rocket manufacture) I asked at Boots.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #8546 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:42:10 pm »
There's a plan :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8547 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:43:43 pm »
There are loads of film canisters on ebay for a little cash.

ElyDave

« Reply #8548 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:07:37 pm »
what about soemthing like a nuun or high5 electrolyte tabs tub? They make very useful little odds and sods holders for on the bike as well.

« Reply #8549 on: 09 January, 2017, 07:27:52 pm »
Self: Before cashing in Tossco Clubard vouchers for the London Eye, make sure it's actually running the day you travel. Annual feckin' maintenance, innit?!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.