Author Topic: Your favourite chip shop snack  (Read 23503 times)

Re: Your favourite chip shop snack
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
LIDL sell feck-off big jars of big gherkins for £1.49. Staple diet in Hungary, so I stock up every visit...

Otherwishe, chippe-wise it has to be curry sauce on chips. No S&V.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »
OK, Although my fav is the two fish cakes and pickled egg thing, I'm going to have to stick up for mushy peas.  (As they've been downed a bit on this thread)
Just remember that in Brum you need to ask for "mooshy pays"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Clandy

« Reply #27 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:21:25 pm »
I'm a sucker for saveloy, but I must admit I do have to close my mind to what I'm probably eating ;)

If they have nice big ones, I'll treat myself to a wally aswell :o

Most chippies here have a jar of wallies next to the pickled onions and pickled eggs.

Clandy

« Reply #28 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »
It had never occurred to me before, but this thread is making me wonder how chips would go with gherkin soup.

I think they would not go well at all.

Talking of chips with soup… Heinz Big Soups go great with chips! The minted lamb hotpot and the beef and mushroom/vegetable soups in particular are really nice.

« Reply #29 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:26:22 pm »
For me it has to be chips with curry sauce. Not poured all over them but in a polysyrene container I can dip each chip into. Oh, and lots of S&V on the chips  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:30:13 pm »
LIDL sell feck-off big jars of big gherkins for £1.49. Staple diet in Hungary, so I stock up every visit...
Vinegary ones or proper fermented ones?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Clandy

« Reply #31 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Otherwishe, chippe-wise it has to be curry sauce on chips. No S&V.

Aldi sell gherkins in a sweet and sour vinegar.

« Reply #32 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

Pickled ones with a helping of herbs & spices and mini onions at the bottom. Not seen them anywhere else in Blighty.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »
Ah, sounds like they could be *proper* ones. Now to find where my nearest Lidl is...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #34 on: 30 January, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »
Ah wally's.... brings back memories... ;D

My local chippy "King Cod" does battered chips. They are very nice if a little oily. They also do a very nice veggie burger and scallops..... another thing not for sale in the southeast; or at least the last time I had chips down there (from the chippy down the market street in Barking).

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #35 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
In a state of inebriation and near random chippie - bag of onion rings.  Food of the drink gods.

Good call on the onions rings, although when I was living in Edinburgh and really drunk, I would decide that a pizza supper was a good idea.  Had to be very drunk, mind you.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »
If it's a chippy worthy of the name, then a good old-fashioned haddock and chips is the food of the gods.

I'm not sure anything from a chip shop counts as a snack, but in the spirit of the thread, I'm going to have to go for chips, served inna cone with a little wooden fork, unadulterated apart from a sensible (as opposed to chucked on with a trowel by the chipshop owner) amount of salt.  The cone's important:  Ideally, it should be printed with Lorem chipsum fake newsprint, as an act of sticking two fingers up to the elfin safe tea that banned the real thing.  The great thing about eating chips out of a cone is that all the crunchy bits settle to the bottom where they may be enjoyed last.

I eschew vinegar as it tends to make my tongue swell up, and I'm a closet southerner so - while I accept that it's delicious - I'm naturally wary of that radioactive green stuff that goes by the name of 'curry sauce'.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #37 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »
My mum's brother used to do that. He made a sandwich out of Christmas dinner once. He was half Kentish though, so I blame the southern genes.  ;) He's dead now anyway.
A once upon a long time ago colleague used to say any food could, even should, be made into a sandwich. Even soup. And he'd grown up in Kent.

I LOVE lasagne sandwiches.  Mashed potato is another good one.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Clandy

« Reply #38 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »
unadulterated apart from a sensible (as opposed to chucked on with a trowel by the chipshop owner) amount of salt.  

It isn't proper chip shop chips unless they are buried in salt! Leave the careful eating for the rest of the week!

« Reply #39 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »
Scraps - when I was a nipper and had no money, knowing which chippies would give away bags of scraps for nowt was useful local knowledge.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »
Chips with curry sauce.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clandy

« Reply #41 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
Scraps - when I was a nipper and had no money, knowing which chippies would give away bags of scraps for nowt was useful local knowledge.

The chippy in Maldon high street still does. (they also do really good Whiting)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »

I had a friend at school who was skilled in the art of staking out the local chippy and returning with a haul of whatever was left at closing time for minimal or often zero cost.  This was especially useful when we were doing the lighting/sound tech for late-running events, as we could put a spare PARcan into use as chip warmer and disappear backstage to eat them during the boring bits.

« Reply #43 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

Did you have pea wet on that?

« Reply #44 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:16:30 pm »
I'd never heard of pea wet!

So no - I've only recently started eating mushy peas. 

Clandy

« Reply #45 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:19:09 pm »

Pickled ones with a helping of herbs & spices and mini onions at the bottom. Not seen them anywhere else in Blighty.

Useful tip of the day: when the jar is empty of gherkins (or pickled onions) decant the vinegar into a vinegar bottle and use on fish and chips etc.

« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »
I'd never heard of pea wet!

So no - I've only recently started eating mushy peas.  

Maybe it's a Mank thing then, but if you are too skint to afford peas, you can  ask for 'pea wet' which is a spoonful of the liquid  ;D

Probably counts as one of your five a day up north.

« Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
I don't think that's made it to the North East - it's passed me by, anyway.

However, mushy peas are the same as guacamole in Hartlepool ;)

« Reply #48 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:27:02 pm »
Ah yes, his Lordship  ;D

« Reply #49 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:35:26 pm »
Chips and scraps. And mushy peas in a pot. Served with soft white bread and bump butter, and a steaming mug of tea. I try to tell myself the scraps have not been near the fish. The Cemetery Chippie in Colne does The Best Chips ever.

I'm now salivating.