Author Topic: Camp site recommendations  (Read 3170 times)

Camp site recommendations
« on: 05 January, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »
We've just bought a new family tent and are looking for recommendations for a campsite that will allow dogs, is picturesque, not crowded and preferably will allow a fire.
Not too fussed where, but south of England for a start.

Any suggestions?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Camp site recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
Hatler's chums run Blackberry Wood

It's at the foot of the South Downs, near Ditchling.  Fires allowed AIUI. Website's a bit crap though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:37:48 pm »
White mark farm, watlington sometimes allows fires. It's on the edge of the chilterns and is very friendly. There is some lovely walking and cycling around there - it has a car free section for cyclists and walkers and it's on the Ridgeway. I don't have the number here, but I'll edit it in later. It doesn't have play areas or anything fancy, but there is a pub in the village that does breakfast and a fish and chip shop at the end of the street. We were there twice last year. The only problem is that it is on the edge of the chilterns, so finding a big enough flat pitch is fun. BUT they are well drained ;). The red kites are spectacular too :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:13:40 am »
This is a very Camp Site!

;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »
The Queens Head Inn, Brandeston - a pub-restaurant in the heart of the Suffolk countryside - Brandeston Queens Head

I've just had a very pleasant chat with the publican at the above establishment.

He has a half-acre camp site and charges £3 per tent per night. Toilets & h & c running water, but no showers as yet. He wants to build a shower block but has fallen foul of the local council's planning regs in the first instance.

Must give this a try very soon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2010, 04:32:57 pm »
The Queens Head Inn, Brandeston - a pub-restaurant in the heart of the Suffolk countryside - Brandeston Queens Head

I've just had a very pleasant chat with the publican at the above establishment.

He has a half-acre camp site and charges £3 per tent per night. Toilets & h & c running water, but no showers as yet. He wants to build a shower block but has fallen foul of the local council's planning regs in the first instance.

Must give this a try very soon.

That is amazing timing WB, I was just trying to find a Suffolk site for mid-August, and Adnams beer to boot. Perfect. Thanks!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »
Hatler's chums run Blackberry Wood

It's at the foot of the South Downs, near Ditchling.  Fires allowed AIUI. Website's a bit crap though.
Indeed they do. Fires allowed, dogs have to be on a lead. Great on and off road cycling one yard from the entrance. A number of good pubs within two or three miles.

Site is limited to 20 pitches in either open areas or glades. There's a shower block.

However, they are generally fully booked for all weekends, bank holidays, half terms and school holidays a year in advance; BUT, they often have cancellations on a Friday, so a call to them on a Friday will often bear fruit.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2010, 07:44:38 pm »
White mark farm, watlington sometimes allows fires. It's on the edge of the chilterns and is very friendly. There is some lovely walking and cycling around there - it has a car free section for cyclists and walkers and it's on the Ridgeway. I don't have the number here, but I'll edit it in later. It doesn't have play areas or anything fancy, but there is a pub in the village that does breakfast and a fish and chip shop at the end of the street. We were there twice last year. The only problem is that it is on the edge of the chilterns, so finding a big enough flat pitch is fun. BUT they are well drained ;). The red kites are spectacular too :D.

When it says "Pitches: CCC members only" on the ukcampsite directory, is this correct?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2010, 02:12:38 pm »

When it says "Pitches: CCC members only" on the ukcampsite directory, is this correct?
Not sure of the legality and I wouldn't want to land anyone in trouble, but I have certainly camped there with non club members and the Fell Club regularly use use it and they are definitely not all CCC members. Worth phoning to check on the current situation I should think. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2010, 02:34:30 pm »
Blatant plug: Lakehead Farm campsite

Belongs to my outlaws. As small a site as you can get, facilities just about stretch to a tap and a toilet.
BUT most definitely fits the bill for quiet, dogs & fires allowed (check details when booking), amazing views, and on a farm so you get the benefit of cuddly lamps and kittens and piggy-wiggys for the kids to pet. (And fresh bacon & eggs for your breaky)

And I can provide a DIY 300 route London -> Chulmleigh, if you're into audaxing to it :)