Author Topic: Soy milk  (Read 2157 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Soy milk
« on: 15 April, 2011, 09:53:18 pm »
Does it need refrigerating? ???
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Soy milk
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:54:35 pm »
Yes.  But like cow milk, you can buy UHT which survives better than fresh unrefrigerated, although technically it should live in a fridge after opening.

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:55:51 pm »
Most of the cartons you buy are 'ambient' and fine until they're open. And then they're pretty much like milk, though it probably lasts a wee bit longer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »
Righto. Ta.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:06:58 pm »
Buy rice milk instead.  That's so disgusting that you won't know if it's gone off or not.  :sick:

ravenbait

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:09:58 pm »
You can also get rice milk in handy individual cartons. Haven't seen soy milk like that yet.

But rice milk is teh eebul, except for making porridge.

Sam

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
Clearly the solution is bacon.

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »
Most Chinese/Oriental Supermarkets will sell Soy Milk in 200 ml cartons, it's called Vitasoy and I grew up on it. It comes in plain, malted and Chocolate. May be a bit sweet if you're used to western Soy milk

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »
When it is open, decant into a screw-top bottle and put in a folding fire-bucket full of water, under a hedge or otherwise shaded area. You can also use it for pimms cans, g and t cans or beer. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »
Fridge smidge, Lasts a couple of days out at least, maybe 3 if you are brave. You'll know when it is off as the stink is horrendous. We get through it so quick at home, I just leave it out on the side. I love the stuff, even the cheapo Tesco sweetened stuff. Cold soya poured on jumbo oats with a spoon or two of ready brek tastes as good as ice cream!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:57:13 pm »
Best thing is to just throw it straight in the bin and use proper milk from moo cows!! :smug:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:33:24 pm »
Cold soya poured on jumbo oats with a spoon or two of ready brek tastes as good as ice cream!

I suspect this to be an exaggeration of sorts...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2011, 07:51:29 am »
A tube of this has got so much sugar in it'll keep for weeks. Perfect for camping.

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2011, 07:59:12 am »
Cold soya poured on jumbo oats with a spoon or two of ready brek tastes as good as ice cream!

I suspect this to be an exaggeration of sorts...

Really, it´s not. Try it. I am not saying it´s posh single dairy >30% cream good, but it´s definitely own brand posh round tubs good. The creaminess of the oats and the sweetness of the soya go together really well. The jumbo oats give texture and the ready brek gives a smooth mouthfeel. For a veg who gets a bit gloopy on dairy, it´s perfect. Also good for the volumetric thing - makes you feel really full.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2011, 11:12:41 am »
You can also buy lactose free UHT milk too, which isn't too bad.  The normal lactose free milk is quite good.