Author Topic: 420g pannier set  (Read 2317 times)

420g pannier set
« on: 11 February, 2014, 10:30:40 am »
For info:

Canadian pannier manufacturer Arkel has introduced the waterproof Dry-Lite panniers, at 420g for a 32 litre set:
http://www.arkelpanniers.co.uk/uk/all-categories/randonneur-series/dry-lites.html
These are not only much lighter, but also somewhat smaller than most alternatives, which means you aren't tempted to carry too much.

For cheaper, here are instructions for a silghtly heavier DIY set at 530g for 30 litre, using drybags and Ortlieb hook rails rather than velcro
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73924&p=644064

The likely problem would be durability - holes from propping the bike up against stone walls or whatever.
The DIY option has the advantage that all the fittings are easily transferred to a new drybag should the old one get holes in.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: 420g pannier set
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »
Saves about a kilo over a pair of Front-Roller Pluses (which would give you 25 litres).  Though I never really saw the point in being a weight-weenie about panniers.  Maybe if you're doing PBP or something?

The DIY option looks like a good one though.  As you say, easy to replace the cheap drybags when worn out.  (You could even carry a spare on the road.)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »
My GT54s are 3kg, but that is only equal to 3l of beer, neither here or there on a typical touring day :-)

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2014, 02:14:59 am »
3l of beer outside the bottle though ... which I'm sure it would be, very rapidly.

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2014, 09:57:40 am »
I'm very taken with the DIY option, although the pictures show the unladen pannier looks a little floppy around the bottom of the rack.

I'm planning a lightweight tour in May and thinking of just using a pair of 8 litre Alpkit drybags. I was going to put a corex stiffener inside them and then bungy them to the rack.

Total cost about £16.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:01:13 am »
Very interesting links, thanks.

The likely problem would be durability - holes from propping the bike up against stone walls or whatever.
The DIY option has the advantage that all the fittings are easily transferred to a new drybag should the old one get holes in.

The durability issue is not just for external factors.  Panniers can be easily damaged by the contents wearing through.  And rigidity is very important for protecting bike and luggage.  However, for a few compromises, these both look interesting options, and there's no doubt of the quality of Arkel products.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:35:13 am »
Interesting - but probably still niche.  The lighter weight Ortlieb Front Roller Plus panniers are 1.3kg for a pair, allowing you to carry 25l per pair.  Rears are 1.5kg for 40l.

To be honest, I thought my rear Roller Pluses were even lighter than that - hefting them empty, they really do feel almost negligibly light in comparison to whatever I might be putting in them.  Which, for me, is the key to packing a bit lighter in the first place...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk