Author Topic: Expensive Waterproof Jackets - Worth it?  (Read 6651 times)

Re: Expensive Waterprrof Jackets - Worth it?
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:21:50 am »
I use the (stupidly expensive) Assos RS.STURMPRINZ

https://www.assos.com/rs-sturmprinz-evo-red?gender=M&color=143

Well designed and I can wear it all day if I want to, if it’s cold enough / wet enough. When it is I feel very well protected. They used to do matching pants, which are the best things ever to wear when it’s really bad weather.

As with some other activities I do, (Winter Mountaineering and Sea-Kayaking), a good thing to do, for me, is a bomb-proof outer layer of some kind, but with not much on underneath. So I don't get too hot when working hard, but I can laugh at any wind and rain!! Only trouble is when you stop, as you can get cold quickly. Winter mountaineering we sometime carry a ‘belay jacket’ which a synthetic duvet jacket you just put on over everything else when stoped to keep warm, taking it off to climb again. I cant see this being practical while biking!

« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:52:17 am »
Use Paramo jacket for walking mainly. Very good, but wash and reproof every year or two using the Nikwax products to maintain water repellence.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2020, 01:52:09 pm »
As with some other activities I do, (Winter Mountaineering and Sea-Kayaking), a good thing to do, for me, is a bomb-proof outer layer of some kind, but with not much on underneath. So I don't get too hot when working hard, but I can laugh at any wind and rain!! Only trouble is when you stop, as you can get cold quickly. Winter mountaineering we sometime carry a ‘belay jacket’ which a synthetic duvet jacket you just put on over everything else when stoped to keep warm, taking it off to climb again. I cant see this being practical while biking!

I have a big fluffy jacket for this (Paramo Torres). On Winter rides I put it in a 5l dry bag, bungeed to the underside of my aerobars. If I have to stop for anything much more than a traffic light, I put it on. It keeps you from cooling down too much. Then pack it away again when I am ready to move. This includes say for a mechanical, or food stop, etc... It's well worth doing IMHO.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2020, 02:59:24 pm »
What sort of riding do you want to do? I don't think any jacket is suitable for sustained hard efforts and gentle pootles (or 4 season usage), so use cases are vital to recommendations.

I will mostly be using it for commuting 45km each day and the occasional audax. I'll only be putting it on when it rains and will be for autumn to spring. I generally just get wet in the summer without a jacket or have a very thin cheap Aldi job.

Rainwear has changed in recent years from hard shell gore type to hard shell with dwr coating (but not necessarily waterproof) and softshell with dwr coating.

apparently the gore shakedry doesn't have a DWR coating
I'm sure it will eventually wear out the same as paclite ones do, but it's a different thing

« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2020, 04:39:23 pm »
I have a big fluffy jacket for this (Paramo Torres). On Winter rides I put it in a 5l dry bag, bungeed to the underside of my aerobars. If I have to stop for anything much more than a traffic light, I put it on. It keeps you from cooling down too much. Then pack it away again when I am ready to move. This includes say for a mechanical, or food stop, etc... It's well worth doing IMHO.

Good idea, will give it some thought. I have got very cold more than once fixing punctures in winter...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 18 October, 2020, 04:58:10 pm »

Good idea, will give it some thought. I have got very cold more than once fixing punctures in winter...

Yep, it's a common problem. It's a habbit that takes practice to get into. It's also very tempting to go "Oh, it's only going to take me a minute, so I won't bother", 15 mins later as you're shivering...

J
--

« Reply #31 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:23:01 pm »

Yes - Gore shakedry 1985.
Very much this.  I have a gore one (I think it’s called) which I wear any day that it’s not summer.  Base layer in mid season and a mid layer if it gets colder->snow.  100% waterproof and you manage overheating by choosing the right layer below it.  If it is not pissing it down with rain you can vent with the front zip and if it is pissing it down with rain why do you need further cooling? (Yes, ymmv, I run cold).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2020, 08:51:38 am »

Very much this.  I have a gore one (I think it’s called) which I wear any day that it’s not summer.  Base layer in mid season and a mid layer if it gets colder->snow.  100% waterproof and you manage overheating by choosing the right layer below it.  If it is not pissing it down with rain you can vent with the front zip and if it is pissing it down with rain why do you need further cooling? (Yes, ymmv, I run cold).
Very persuaded by the Gore Shakedry and very tempted but I struggle to get past the limited colour of black/grey. When they first emerged there was talk of different colour options as the technology develops and I thought I'd hold out. This is clearly proving to be a significant hurdle as they've been around a couple of years now and no colour ... hmmm

rob

« Reply #33 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:02:51 am »
Am I right in thinking they still tell you to not come wear anything on top ?  I’d still quite like something reflective over the jacket on dark and wet nights.

« Reply #34 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:04:17 am »

Very persuaded by the Gore Shakedry and very tempted but I struggle to get past the limited colour of black/grey. When they first emerged there was talk of different colour options as the technology develops and I thought I'd hold out. This is clearly proving to be a significant hurdle as they've been around a couple of years now and no colour ... hmmm

From a google...

https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/c5-gore-tex-shakedry-1985-viz-jacket-100408.html

@Rob - this has reflective panels.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #35 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:51:16 am »
Am I right in thinking they still tell you to not come wear anything on top ?  I’d still quite like something reflective over the jacket on dark and wet nights.
I know they specify no rucksacks and I guess anything sitting on top and holding moisture will undermine the way it works. The rucksack thing may be more to do with its fragility.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #36 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:53:37 am »
Mine works fine with a hi Viz vest. No issues. Wouldn't use a back pack though
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:20:25 am »

It still amazes me how many of the high end cycling jackets don't have hoods. Cycling for 20 hours a day in the rain without a hood seems like a stupid move to me...

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:31:35 am »
I hate hoods on cycling jackets, they stuff up my peripheral vision too much. A peaked cycling cap does everything I need.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:36:34 am »
I hate hoods on cycling jackets, they stuff up my peripheral vision too much. A peaked cycling cap does everything I need.

How do you keep the rain from going down your neck? And keep you hair mostly dry ?

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:39:17 am »
A wool or cotton hat takes care of most of that stuff, depending on temperature.

Hoods inflate and flap too much during downhills. Too dangerous for me.

« Reply #41 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:42:32 am »

It still amazes me how many of the high end cycling jackets don't have hoods. Cycling for 20 hours a day in the rain without a hood seems like a stupid move to me...

J

I just adjusted that slightly.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:43:11 am »
A wool or cotton hat takes care of most of that stuff, depending on temperature.

Hoods inflate and flap too much during downhills. Too dangerous for me.

What are these down hills of which you speak? Are they like tail winds? :p

Wearing just a cap doesn't seem to work for me, maybe it's cos I have so much hair. I like a hood, and pit zips on my jackets...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:43:54 am »

J

I just adjusted that slightly.

But if I want to go 300km, it's going to take me 20 hours to do it...

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:53:01 am »
Before getting the Shakedry, pit-zips were essential to get rid of my sweat. Now, not so much.

Climbing and descending are normal parts of riding in most locations. Compromising the majority of rain jackets on the market for the sole benefit of flatlanders isn’t sensible.

I like to knock over a 400 in around 20 hours, hopefully none of them wet.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:54:57 am »
Before getting the Shakedry, pit-zips were essential to get rid of my sweat. Now, not so much.

Climbing and descending are normal parts of riding in most locations. Compromising the majority of rain jackets on the market for the sole benefit of flatlanders isn’t sensible.

The problem for me comes when I goto climb into a Bivvi bag at the end of the day, and my hair and back of my neck is all soaked. That doesn't dry, and just chills you down further.

I also find that my helmet keeps my hood from flapping around or causing issues when I do have a heavy amount of wind to the face, such as down hills...

J
--

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #46 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:58:03 am »
I must admit, I've never wanted a hood on a bike jacket.  Like for LWaB, the loss of peripheral vision is too high a price to pay.

[X post edit: QG, if your problem is related to using Bibi bags, I guess the explanation for most cycling jackets not suiting you is that most cyclists don't use bivi bags.  If what you're doing is cycle camping, it's unsurprising that a camping jacket is going to be better suited to your needs.]

« Reply #47 on: 23 October, 2020, 12:23:30 pm »
I must admit, I've never wanted a hood on a bike jacket.  Like for LWaB, the loss of peripheral vision is too high a price to pay.
I have a separate hood so that it turns with my head.  Completely separate, not separable (tucked inside collar) like many walking jackets.  However, I don't use it because the NOISE of rain on the material over my ears means I can hear just about nothing else.  I last tried it about 15 years ago.  A flat cap and a fairly snug collar does it for me.

« Reply #48 on: 23 October, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »

D, my remarks were tongue in cheek!  I'm hoist on my own petard: I've done several 400s but never got near 20 hours.  I was a late arrival to long-distance cycling and I loved almost every minute of it.  I did get very wet, very often, though!

« Reply #49 on: 23 October, 2020, 12:27:48 pm »
I'm looking at purchasing one of the Shakedry jackets myself as I have had DWR treated jackets over the years which have performed great when new but gradually lost their waterproofness over time.

The fact that the Shakedry material offers a permanent level of waterproofing (and great breatability) is a huge plus in my view.

J

There are various runners versions of the Shakedry Jacket with a hood - obviously not optimised for use on the bike but it's a possibility I guess if that's what you want.

Gore R7 Shakedry with hood

Got me thinking about the Shakedry Cap as well as an alternative for those with less hair to worry about (me).

Gore Shakedry Cap

I know the jackets specify not backpack compatible as I guess this causes wear on the jacket - would the cap suffer the same fate being worn under a helmet?