Author Topic: Six Nations 2019  (Read 12848 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Six Nations 2019
« Reply #75 on: 18 March, 2019, 08:39:33 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ftDaeVTOE

I found this video of Saturday's Wales v Ireland first half. Can someone tell me what language the commentators are speaking please?

I'd guess Georgian.

(Based on the general sound, some specific words, and also after googling the name of the person that uploaded the video.)

Enabling subtitles is amusing.
I think you are right. I looked the guy up on facebook and bunged a post of his into Google Translate. Georgian is the answer.

Georgia actually is a pretty decent rugby playing nation.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #76 on: 19 March, 2019, 11:05:07 am »
I just watched the extended highlights of the England-Scotland match. Crikey! What a wonderful spectacle!

I've never seen that little Scots winger before - Darcy Graham. He looks very impressive - reminds me of Shane Williams.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #77 on: 30 March, 2019, 10:34:51 am »
I'm now watching the full England Scotland game. Last week I watched Wales v Ireland. There seems to be a preponderance of pinch-featured goal-kickers.

simonp

« Reply #78 on: 30 March, 2019, 12:12:05 pm »
John Barclay was another big miss for Scotland. He's back playing at last so hopefully will be available for the World Cup.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #79 on: 10 April, 2019, 12:25:33 pm »
The problem with the head-to-head tie-breaker comes if Ireland beat Wales next week. You would be in the situation where Ireland have to come higher than Wales, Wales have to come higher than England, but also England have to come higher than Ireland.

I can see the point of the bonus points, as it gives some extra interest to the games themselves, and otherwise you would end up with it being points difference only. However, I can agree with the 3 points for a grand slam too, as it would seem a little strange for a team that won 4, but gained 6 bonus points (5x4 tries, plus 1 for losing by less than 7) could come out 2 points above the team that beat them if that team collected no bonus points at all.

A late epilogue to all this discussion; this month's email from my local ball-game league contained this news item:

6)   Over 70’s Tournament:
.... Tim  advised that the event only had 6 entries from the 18 eligible. On the day there was one drop out so the 5 played a ‘round robin’ tournament. Arthur Chilvers won all his 4 matches so became Champion for the second time. There were 3 players each with 2 wins and Tim was declared the runner up as the best of the three

(My bold) There you go - that's the way to handle these things!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles