Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3008239 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24600 on: 16 November, 2019, 08:33:07 pm »
These appear to be genuine brown bits of plastic, wiv windows, hologams, micrtext and evryfink.
They came from an RBS ATM, not a Notemachine so I think they are genuine.

I'm doing my bit in Ely, take them out north of the border and bring them back.  More of a dribble than a flood.  The twenties are much nicer
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24601 on: 17 November, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »
The Scottish notes in general are much nicer, more grippy and less slippy than ours. So you can grip and fold them more easily.

« Reply #24602 on: 17 November, 2019, 02:19:30 pm »
The Scottish notes in general are much nicer, more grippy and less slippy than ours. So you can grip and fold them more easily.

You are clearly excluding from that analysis the notes in bagpipes?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24603 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:49:28 pm »
Do not fold, spindle or skirl.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24604 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:44:12 am »
Do not fold, spindle or skirl.

Mutilating, OTOH :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24605 on: 24 November, 2019, 01:00:36 am »
This could have gone in Random entertainment things, or in Tandems or in Unusual Bikes, but perhaps none of them quite fit so I'll put this homemade tandem here instead:
https://youtu.be/UhyeywiEzKo?t=36
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24606 on: 27 November, 2019, 02:35:15 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2019/nov/26/stairways-to-heaven-britains-top-ten-cathedrals

Ely comes in number 2.  I can accept being beaten by Wells, having been there when I was a student in Bath
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24607 on: 27 November, 2019, 03:06:29 pm »
Wells has trumpet holes in its west front at approximately house roof level. Trumpeters would have stood behind them and played angelically to the amazed medieval worshippers as they approached.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24608 on: 27 November, 2019, 08:57:24 pm »
The Swindon-based coffee company "2-2-2" has a serious problem with its logo, since it's actually an 0-6-0.

https://www.what-franchise.com/franchise-opportunities/coffee-franchises/triple-two-coffee

In a similar vein, Swindon Town's crest bizarrely shows a GWR Prairie Tank pulling a tender.  Good luck reaching the coal on that, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon_Town_F.C.#/media/File:Swindon_Town_FC.svg

Swindon: a railway town that's forgotten what trains look like.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24609 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:00:51 pm »
But is either of them Morning Star?

rogerzilla

« Reply #24610 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:03:16 pm »
But is either of them Morning Star?
Is that the one that bites the Tories?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24611 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:11:51 pm »
This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Star_Class I don't think they ever had the other in the waiting room on platform 2.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24612 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:14:45 pm »
That might be what they had in mind, but then the graphic designer just had to add coupling rods...

« Reply #24613 on: 28 November, 2019, 07:39:40 am »
The Swindon-based coffee company "2-2-2" has a serious problem with its logo, since it's actually an 0-6-0.

Took me a while to realise you were talking about a choo choo rather than a two two

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24614 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:01:41 am »
Swindon Town's crest shows (if I've got this right) a 2-6-2. That's an unusual formation, seriously heavy in midfield. I think they should pull at least one back into defence.

fuzzy

« Reply #24615 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
Having spent a number of years watching Swindon Town FC play their version of Association Football ( a version that is currently amongst the better of their recent efforts) I would like to point out that, even with a 6 man midfield, the middle of the park would be a bit porous.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24616 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:23:08 pm »
Had a Clydesdale £5 note today. It was noticeably smaller than a Bank of England fiver.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24617 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »
I don't normally drink coffee, but on Wednesday and Friday this week I've had coffee from a cafe. On Wednesday this led to a discussion about the differences between Latvian and Lithuanian, which are less closely related than I thought. Today it led to a discussion about Norwegian, Danish, bokmal and nynorsk (spellings?) and spoken varieties of Norwegian. I dunno what they're putting in this coffee but if I drink anymore of it I'll end up in Kansas. 

Chris S

« Reply #24618 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:47:09 pm »
We moved house recently. Cue threatening letters and harassment from the TV Licensing Authority  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24620 on: 30 November, 2019, 02:49:14 am »
Why can't these cool doods get their chess board the right way round?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-50545083/jaskanwal-stopped-wearing-his-turban-after-being-bullied

I find it difficult to take anyone seriously if I see cringeworthy errors.

Beeb videos are full of them!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24621 on: 30 November, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »
Given that it's set in concrete, it probably isn't their fault.  I expect it was constructed with the benefit of all the user experience of the average cycle lane.

(Text in the background confirms the video hasn't been flipped.)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #24622 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
Political commentary in UK. Not doing it just now. Purdah.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24623 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »
Given that it's set in concrete, it probably isn't their fault.  I expect it was constructed with the benefit of all the user experience of the average cycle lane.

I didn't think of the concrete!

Setting a board in concrete the wrong way round is beyond silly!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24624 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:48:31 pm »

I didn't think of the concrete!

Setting a board in concrete the wrong way round is beyond silly!

It might be that whoever installed the seats wasn't paying attention to the board...