Author Topic: Something broken in hand ?  (Read 6610 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Something broken in hand ?
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2018, 02:50:55 pm »
yup me too a full body MRI. It does prove that I got a brain, well ok some sort of mass in my head and yes it does not prove that I know what to do with said thing.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #26 on: 07 November, 2018, 02:53:27 pm »
I got to have a look at my lower spine, elbow and pelvis yesterday.

All reassuringly bony and well aligned. Only the small matter of a chip in the pelvis
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 07 November, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
When I broke mine it was examined the next day.

Just a sprain. Got see your doc if it doesn't improve in 7 days.

It had improved, was just a bit of an ache. But it didn't improve further so I went to see the doc and he did the snuff box thing and off I went for x-ray which confirmed scaphoid was in two pieces and distal end had rotated 90 degrees in the intervening time during which I was still cycling.

On goes the cast, consultant decides surgery to correct the misalignment not worthwhile, and 6 weeks later it's all healed.

Still cycling during that time - I postponed my driving test.

When I injured my wrist (strain/tear to the TFCC) last year I had an MRI after it wasn't improving. This showed a perfectly healed scaphoid and no sign of any arthritis subsequent to the fracture. I'd had some pain on the scahpoid side of the wrist and it turned out I had as well as the TFCC injury a ganglion between scaphoid and lunate which was probably causing that pain.

I have heard of a few tales of people needing bone grafts after untreated scaphoid fractures, so well done for getting it reassessed.

rob

« Reply #28 on: 08 November, 2018, 10:03:40 am »
I'm waiting for feedback from yesterday but the early look from the X-ray showed what looked like a fracture of the scaphoid, but also a couple of cysts growing on it.   Early call back from the first hospital also referred to 'lesions' which needed investigating further.   This could be what is causing the pain.   I was also asked if I had broken it before but I have never been told this, although I have fallen off bikes a few times in my life.

Early indications were that surgery was 'probably' not required but that does make me wonder if a cyst just disappears as the bone heals.

rob

« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:30:03 pm »
Now in a cast.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:35:34 pm »
Gone are the days when a scaphoid cast encased half the thumb...

rob

« Reply #31 on: 12 November, 2018, 10:58:58 am »
MRI report makes for  interesting reading :-

- occult fracture of the capitate
- impaction fracture of the volar tubercle of the trapezium
- unsufficiency contusion of the distal scaphoid
- synovitis of the dorsal carpus

I make that 3 'breaks' with some additional swelling ?

Still I'm learning a lot.

rob

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »
Now in a cast.

2 weeks down.   Sounds like 4 weeks to go.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
Got some cool autographs ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 23 November, 2018, 08:17:24 pm »
Modern resin casts are very difficult for creative artists to embellish... :(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #35 on: 23 November, 2018, 09:33:12 pm »
well that is me going breaking body parts :)

rob

« Reply #36 on: 23 November, 2018, 10:40:00 pm »

If I let people at work at it someone would have drawn a cock on it by now.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 24 November, 2018, 11:42:03 am »

If I let people at work at it someone would have drawn a cock on it by now.
Well do have a thread for that :)

ElyDave

« Reply #38 on: 29 November, 2018, 01:06:08 pm »
THREAD HIJACK ALERT

I'm having some pain in my right wrist, for a couple of weeks now. Down the ulnar side, point tenderness around the head of the ulna, and other knobbly bits there and down the back of the hand along the metacarpal. 

It's post my accident, and it's on the RHS, where I was hit from the left.

Thoughts are either
1) fracture that was not immediately obvious, due to me holding handlebars and handlebars being wrenched?
2) tendonitis, or other RSI from walking with the stick being held in my right hand?

Worth getting it looked at?

« Reply #39 on: 29 November, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
It is probably a combination of strain from accident and unusual stresses imposed from using a stick.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rob

« Reply #40 on: 29 November, 2018, 01:13:12 pm »
Did you land on your right hand ?   I wasn't sure that I had, and it's all a bit blurry, but I must have given the injuries.

My experience (now) says go and get it checked.

ElyDave

« Reply #41 on: 29 November, 2018, 01:28:41 pm »
I landed on my LHS, elbow and hip mostly hence massive elbow swelling and bruising adn pelvis fracture on the left.

Handlebars took a big clout as well, so I'm wondering whether there could have been sufficient force transmitted through that way - can't remember any direct impact, but I was likely to have been holding the bars at the time.

I have a fracture clinic appt next week, could raise it there I guess.

rob

« Reply #42 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:06:41 am »
My cast comes off Monday afternoon - it is getting a little minging to be honest but nearly there.   There's the odd bit of pain particularly when turning the hand (keys, taps, can openers).

I'll have an X-ray and a follow up consultation.   The company changed insurers on the 1st Dec but it seems to have all be handed over OK.

At the moment I have no real expectation of how much I'll be able to ride.   I suspect the hand will be weak and I'll need to mix and match the turbo and road.   This is starting to put RAtN on 1st May in doubt but getting to PBP in Aug should be fine.

ElyDave

« Reply #43 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:13:11 am »
Good luck with it. Similarly I've got long range goals for August, and it's a matter of building between now and then.

What is clearly coming through in my case is that it's the soft tissue damage that restricts more than the fracture aka my back is still fu@ked despite the pelvic fracture healing well.

rob

« Reply #44 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:27:00 am »
Yeah my right hip has needed some work.   The left had started to compensate on the turbo.   My existing physio is used to me and stretches seem to be alleviating the issue.

« Reply #45 on: 13 December, 2018, 12:28:00 pm »
Yeah my right hip has needed some work.   The left had started to compensate on the turbo.   My existing physio is used to me and stretches seem to be alleviating the issue.
Which stretches? My right hip is playing up - I think it's a combination of compensation from when my foot was screwed (and it's still not better) and my driving position. Hurdle stretch seems to work OKish, lunge stretch is meh.

rob

« Reply #46 on: 13 December, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »
Which stretches? My right hip is playing up - I think it's a combination of compensation from when my foot was screwed (and it's still not better) and my driving position. Hurdle stretch seems to work OKish, lunge stretch is meh.

I would google piriformis stretches.   Basically lots of stretching by pulling the legs over to one side so the pull is across the hip and down the ITB.   In cycling you work permanently in a vertical plain - even more so on the turbo - so you lose side to side mobility.   Pilates includes a lot of hip rolls and mobility exercises side to side which have really helped.

rob

« Reply #47 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:16:12 pm »
Hand out of cast and back into splint.   It felt very weak just after taking it off so I wasn’t at all surprised to be told I couldn’t get back on my bike.   The capitate seems to be more of a problem than the scaphoid.

I have a CT booked for 2nd Jan and a follow up appointment a week later.  It didn’t help that my company changed medical insurer while I was in the cast but it all seems to have transferred over OK.

I would say that the takeaway from this is that no matter how innocuous your crash may have been it can have quite a knock on.  Next years plans are being adjusted.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:49:49 pm »
I would say that the takeaway from this is that no matter how innocuous your crash may have been it can have quite a knock on.  Next years plans are being adjusted.

This, in spades.

The hand is a VERY complex thing and has much clockwork crammed into a small volume.

Not all significant injuries are immediately apparent.

Hope your onward recovery is smooth and you have a good festive season, rob.

rob

« Reply #49 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:57:27 am »
12 weeks from the crash and the scaphoid and capitate have healed.   I'm about to start some physio so will continue to recover steadily.