Author Topic: Prostate cancer and radical surgery  (Read 1563 times)

Prostate cancer and radical surgery
« on: 06 February, 2019, 08:49:39 pm »
Been through the blood tests, the MRI, biopsies and next.... it's a chat with the surgeons
It's a bitch. No real symptoms, just a nagging doubt - so I got checked.
Better than the alternative of not getting checked and having this spread out of the one gland.
I'm trying not to dwell on the details of the op, but think beyond. That contact point on the bike could be.... problematic?
Anyone else on here been through it?
Did the saddle cause any new discomfort?
If so how did you combat it? a new saddle? cut-out, adamo, moon?
TIA

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Prostate cancer and radical surgery
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:16:39 pm »
I know a cyclist who has had a radical prostatectomy. I think he cycles gently but not much.
I know another cyclist who has had treatment with ultrasound and is very happy.

I know little about these things but have friends who cycle.

Whatever transpires I wish you smooth treatments.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:18:49 pm »
There's always the dark side...

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »
The one person I know who has had surgery for a prostate cancer seems to have gone back to cycling (after quite a long break but not more than 12 months I think) without too much trouble. He's blind and rides on the back of a club tandem and I don't think anyone has made any allowances for him in terms of changing saddles.
There is someone else in my club who is just going through treatment so it is too soon to say.

I also know someone who had surgery for a colo-rectal cancer and has made a successful comeback after a longish break.

All this talk worries me a bit because I have a large family history of cancer and I haven't been checked out at all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:36:55 pm »
The one person I know who has had surgery for a prostate cancer seems to have gone back to cycling (after quite a long break but not more than 12 months I think) without too much trouble. He's blind and rides on the back of a club tandem and I don't think anyone has made any allowances for him in terms of changing saddles.
There is someone else in my club who is just going through treatment so it is too soon to say.

I also know someone who had surgery for a colo-rectal cancer and has made a successful comeback after a longish break.

All this talk worries me a bit because I have a large family history of cancer and I haven't been checked out at all.

Most of the checks are not too unpleasant and well worth doing. I don't know what routine testing occurs where you live.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »
My brother was undergoing radiotherapy in November last year. 20 sessions, one a day, Mon-Fri for 4 weeks. So far, things seem to be OK.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:15:02 am »
The person I know who had similar surgery uses a specific saddle. I don't know which he found best in the end, but I know he tried a few and settled on a non-traditional style.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:38:21 am »
Had the op at the end of August last year. Was back on the bike after 7 weeks and managed a 100k perm in November. Have used a Rido saddle for several years and it feels no different now; the first few rides excepted - YMMV

An Arrows, SR series and PBP are all planned for this year but will be taking it one step at a time. This is an op that can seem to affect people very differently. Happy to talk through further if you would like to PM me.