Author Topic: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series  (Read 40175 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #225 on: 05 May, 2016, 04:56:04 pm »
I may dive off for home at some point as I'd like to be back by 6pm (ish).  Sorry to let the side down.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #226 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:49:27 am »
And now for something completely different!  And the diametric opposite of the BCM!

I have a day free on Saturday (21st) so am planning to resurrect the plan below which was shelved in preference to accompanying Oaky on his route test of huggy's 200 ...

Hello folks, I have earmarked Saturday 7th May for a day long ride which could easily start with breakfast at a 'spoons hence my posting here.  I fancy bagging a few more unvisited Essex Good Beer Guide pubs and for some time have been looking warily at those located in the badlands of Essex, places like Grays and Little Thurrock. 

So, my fine fellows I invite you to gird your loins, throw caution to the wind, bring a hefty lock and ride with me to the Theobald Arms in Grays and Traitor's Gate in Little Thurrock!

We can decide on which 'spoons will serve us with brekkie, or perhaps another cafe, depending on who wants to come along.  In the meantime I will start plotting a route.

Re the above idea ^^^, a route SOMETHING LIKE THIS perhaps?

I'm not entire sure of the exact logistics (start time and breakfast venue etc) as it will depend if anyone wants to come with me.

Who fancies a ride with a difference?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #227 on: 03 June, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »
And now for something a little different ...!

I have been inspired by this smashing little film

So cordially invite you to meet me by the benches at Hoemill Lock where we can brew up coffee or tea or any other drink on whatever outdoor cooking device you have to hand. Or indeed you could just bring a flask.  If I remember I will bring the Surly hip flask and I also hope to be packing some cake.

I was thinking of Saturday 11th June, at about 9:30am.  I reckon to be leaving Witham at about 8am so feel free to tag along.

« Reply #228 on: 04 June, 2016, 08:29:53 am »
 :thumbsup:
Great idea....unless the boss says different I will be there

Oscar's dad

« Reply #229 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:14:20 am »
Bring the boss and your small people.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #230 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:11:54 am »
I was up and out bright and early this morning so swung by Hoemill Lock ahead of this Saturday's outdoor coffee morning.  There is a kissing gate thingy so getting bikes onto the grassy area is tricky unless you lift them over the fence.  But its easy and safe just to lean them against the fence on the road side ...

There's a picnic table and bench which I shall supplement with my own furniture  ;D

It looks a bit muddy but it wasn't, just some bare earth. 

If you are thinking of bringing small people be aware there is deep water on either side on the grassy area - and a lock!

Should anyone want to come but not have a stove please let me know, I can bring extra kit.

« Reply #231 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:15:36 am »

I don't have a stove but I might be slack and just bring a thermos with coffee from the machine  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #232 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:21:12 am »

I don't have a stove but I might be slack and just bring a thermos with coffee from the machine  ;D

That's perfect!  Just be there!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #233 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »
I'll endeavour to be there: I'm testing the first part of my new 400 perm from Billericay on Saturday, but diverting via Hoe Mill Lock only adds 10 miles. I have to be back for the Queen's Birthday Tea in Dunmow.

The deal is: turn up with a cake, and sample as many as you can, at St Mary's Vicarage, Churchend, Dunmow, 3-6pm. Fancy dress optional.  Two cake-based events in one day :thumbsup:

« Reply #234 on: 11 June, 2016, 05:11:12 pm »
Thanks for coming up with the idea OD. That was a cracking morning of riding and drinking coffee with mates.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #235 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »
Looks like you all enjoyed yourselves, ace :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #236 on: 12 June, 2016, 08:13:02 am »
Thanks for coming up with the idea OD. That was a cracking morning of riding and drinking coffee with mates.

No worries, I really enjoyed it too!

After you left 'fandango and family turned up plus some Witham Cycling riders.

Next time we could try cooking something.  I also found a tap on the other side of the canal. It was behind a couple of gates marked "Private" but I'm sure no-one will mind.

« Reply #237 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
Folks, just to let you know, I am planning on heading from Tiptree to Wivenhoe with junior Tippers tomorrow morning.

My plan is to follow national cycle paths on THIS ROUTE so expecting some COR but nothing brutal. I am intending to leave Tiptree between 07:30 and 08:00

Breakfast along the way or possibly in Wivenhoe followed by a likely train trip home (but it will depend on the energy levels)

Happy if anyone wants to join us, it will be a pretty low speed affair but beware....the girl can put the hammer down if you offer a race!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #238 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:01:39 pm »
Good choice of venue and return plan Nik given the wind this weekend...

Captain Slow and I are probably venturing to Terling Owl at some point on Saturday and then on to Compasses and home via the beer festival (again)...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #239 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:15:13 pm »
You Drunk! ;D

Wind....what wind...I am going to be on the Gravel Bike....looking forward to giving it a test on COR which is not basically an effluent pond!

« Reply #240 on: 08 July, 2016, 09:24:49 pm »
Not breakfast as such, but myself and токамак are heading for The Egg tomorrow. Leaving Chelmsford around 10 so will be there around lunch time if any other Middle-East-Saxons are around....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #241 on: 10 November, 2016, 02:45:39 pm »
Does anyone fancy a spin on Saturday morning?  Yes I know it'll probably be raining.  I won't be up for breakfast but a coffee might work.  Dakota has yet to go up TMNH so perhaps Tea on the Green, Danbury?

« Reply #242 on: 10 November, 2016, 04:43:01 pm »
Does anyone fancy a spin on Saturday morning?  Yes I know it'll probably be raining.  I won't be up for breakfast but a coffee might work.  Dakota has yet to go up TMNH so perhaps Tea on the Green, Danbury?
Is that the little cafe just before the double mini roundabouts on the A414/The Ridge junction?
If it is I've been told they don't like sweaty cyclists sitting on their seats and none of the clubs I've ridden with have ever gone there.
Not too far from there to Bringey Pine or the Glasshouse at Gt. Baddow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #243 on: 10 November, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »
Is that the little cafe just before the double mini roundabouts on the A414/The Ridge junction?
If it is I've been told they don't like sweaty cyclists sitting on their seats and none of the clubs I've ridden with have ever gone there.

Correct.  huggy used it as a control last Saturday (with their consent) so they must have had a change of heart.  Mind you I don't mind going somewhere else that's close by.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #244 on: 10 November, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »
Oh and quite a number of Witham Cycling folks have been there too I've just remembered.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #245 on: 10 November, 2016, 05:37:48 pm »
Correct.  huggy used it as a control last Saturday (with their consent) so they must have had a change of heart.  Mind you I don't mind going somewhere else that's close by.
They were very accommodating as a control and happy even to just stamp cards for anyone not stopping for refreshments. However, I did call in there late morning last Saturday just to make sure everything was okay with the audax going through - they were quite busy and had reserved tables, they were even turning normal civilians away.  Later in the day several audaxers stopped there for coffee & caik, made to feel welcome.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #246 on: 10 November, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »
I've passed on the Tea on the Green good news to the powers that be to see if it can be an 11ses stop.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #247 on: 11 November, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »

When and where do you expect to set off from - I'll see if I'm awake early enough after a week of late shifts.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #248 on: 11 November, 2016, 03:43:22 pm »

When and where do you expect to set off from - I'll see if I'm awake early enough after a week of late shifts.

Spa Road roundabout. What time suits you?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #249 on: 11 November, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »

Spa Road roundabout. What time suits you?
9:00 or later, I'll moderate the Essex Energy Drink intake tonight.