Author Topic: Notchy action when turning pedals backwards...  (Read 1421 times)

Notchy action when turning pedals backwards...
« on: 28 January, 2021, 09:26:01 am »
How smooth should the action be when moving pedals backwards?  Fixed slow rear tyre puncture last night - also checked bearings added grease in.  All good - axle nice & smooth.  But noticed that there's a 'chain catching - notchy action' when rotating pedal backwards - even with chain mid cassette - & 39t middle chain ring.  BB action is very smooth.  FD is not connecting chain.  Seems like chain not aligned on rear mech / chain catching cassette teeth as it moves, but can't see what.  Have released RD cable and reconnected.  No cigar.   10 speed drivetrain - all 105 (triple) with Deore M591 9spd rd.

Any ideas?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Notchy action when turning pedals backwards...
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2021, 09:30:10 am »
Slightly sticky freehub?

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2021, 09:50:25 am »
Worn chain?

Does it catch in one particular point in the chain's rotation? If so, check for a damaged link.

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2021, 09:57:47 am »
Thanks both.  Cassette spins very nicely.  New shimano 11-34t cassette and KMC 10s chain ~ 3months ago.

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2021, 09:59:30 am »
The top jockey wheel typically has some lateral movement when new, but once it gets worn it can then lean too much and the chain runs to one side.

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:15:50 am »
Ok, think I've sorted it.  :)   Somehow I'd not noticed (until bike was on the work stand) that the chain wasn't seated on the lower jockey wheel properly.   

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2021, 03:18:22 pm »
Another favourite is threading the chain round the wrong side of the wee lug between the 2 jockey pulleys so it drags across the lug...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2021, 03:56:42 pm »
Another favourite is threading the chain round the wrong side of the wee lug between the 2 jockey pulleys so it drags across the lug...
Guilty  :facepalm:

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »
Guilty  :facepalm:

Yup!  :thumbsup:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

bairn again

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »

Had to find, buy and fit a new chain the day before PBP in 2015.  Obviously did this too! 

« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2021, 12:25:07 pm »

& me, new chain fitted day before the Easter Arrow. Discovered what i'd done after driving to our start point 100km from home, so no chain link pliers. Ended up removing a jockey wheel to correctly position the chain.

« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:06:20 pm »

& me, new chain fitted day before the Easter Arrow. Discovered what i'd done after driving to our start point 100km from home, so no chain link pliers. Ended up removing a jockey wheel to correctly position the chain.

I’ve done that last bit, due to same issue after fitting new chain  ;D