Author Topic: Google maps cycle routes  (Read 3724 times)

simonp

Google maps cycle routes
« on: 11 July, 2012, 11:35:56 am »
Now available in the UK.

First impression is the routes chosen are generally sane, it chooses pretty much the two options I tend to use for cycling to/from work in Cambridge. One error in one of those routes, it seems to use a row of trees. Must report the error. I tried putting in a route from here to my mum's place, and it suggested a ferry via Ireland as the fastest route. :)

Chris S

Re: Google maps cycle routes
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2012, 11:40:41 am »
It has a tendency to do that!

If I request walking directions from Diss to Inverness, it suggests ferry from Harwich to Netherlands, then ferry from Netherlands to Newcastle  :facepalm:.

Of course - these are the extremes that one might be tempted to go to, to avoid Boston in Lincs  ;).

ETA: Trying the same route using Cycle option is much more sensible. Oh look - Boston...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2012, 11:49:07 am »
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up.

My local 'test route' computes correctly for a bike (though it fails to find a shorter viable walking route) and interestingly a lot of local cyclable trails and bollarded walkthroughs become highlighted on the map when cycling mode is selected.

Inevitably it will be more of a 'sustrans mode' though - using tracks I wouldn't normally take a bike on without fair warning.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

AndyK

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
I asked it for directions to Wickford from Shoeburyness. It takes me along the A127. I wouldn't use that road in a car, let alone on a bicycle.

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
For my commute, it chooses the longer, main (A10) road route. Cyclestreets is more sensible with it's route choices, but is less intuitive to use.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »
There's a link to report unsuitable roads.

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »
Not impressed.

I've just taken a look at North Norfolk, around Wells-next-the-Sea. All the roads around there are cycle-friendly except the A149 coast road during weekends and bank holidays. Hardly any are marked as such. And no mention of the officially-marked "Quiet Lanes".
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:27:26 pm »
It seems to have a good weighting over whether to choose a main road or a slightly longer quiet road. Gives suggestions that include bits of NCN, but does not have too much preference for these. Some of the paths are missing on bits I looked at, and the suggested routes are not the ones all regular cyclists use.

I guess it will improve as people enter details in the report problems box - which is very easy to do. The whole interface is quite good IMO.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Si_Co

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »
Not brilliant.

Nope nor me, my commute gives the option of the TPT, fine for a mountain bike, or the A6144 which is a road i use for a short distance on the way home, but cycle friendly it certainly is not. Completely ignores the ability to cross the ship canal using Irlam locks, the most cycle friendly option by a long chalk.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:38:32 pm »
I just reported a missing foot/cycle bridge.

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
I put in a few LEL controls from the 2009 edition. Found it wanting to go up the A1 from St Neots. The weighting for some of these roads is wrong. I'd prefer not to have quite so much reliance on NCN routes in its algorithm, but it's probably not meant for me. I find the same problem with cyclestreets, even their fast routes are too fiddly most of the time.

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
Publishing the cycle option with a report button is probably the best way of refining it quickly to a useful standard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »
I'm impressed.  It manages to plot a route from Selly Oak to Erdington without resorting to either ludicrous Sustrans routes (it's all towpath cyclocross in that direction) or the Aston Expressway.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:54:02 am »
The route it suggested for Aberdeen to Dundee involved the A90 to Stonehaven, a road which is an almost-motorway. I have reported this.

« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
I notice that the traffic free routes in an area are highlighted neon green...

Looks like it assumes bike speed of 10mls/hr.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 12 July, 2012, 04:33:26 pm »
This one is not right:

http://goo.gl/maps/OBKF

« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:27:13 am »
London to Whitstable.
A2 all the way to Sittingbourne. :o :o :o
A few miles of country lanes between Sittingbourne and Faversham.
And then out onto the Thanet Way  :o :o :o
I don't think I'll be relying on this for route plotting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:47:11 am »
Where's the brown trousers emoticon? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:59:05 am »
For my commute, it chooses the longer, main (A10) road route. Cyclestreets is more sensible with it's route choices, but is less intuitive to use.

I've not come across cyclestreets before; looks good.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson