Author Topic: Volunteering  (Read 2097 times)

Volunteering
« on: 30 November, 2022, 08:01:33 pm »
Due to an injury I won't be riding PBP in 23, I would still like to participate though and volunteering at a control is an obvious way, the main problem I can foresee is my very poor French.

Has anybody volunteered and what was their experience of language requirement, travel arrangements and accommodation?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Volunteering
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2022, 02:07:20 pm »
I haven't, there are people who have but don't recall when, there was mention in a copy of arrivée.
From the brief look I did give, it sounded like there was no central volunteer organising, you need to pick a location and apply directly to whoever is in charge of the location.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2022, 08:28:44 am »
BE A VOLUNTEER AND LIVE INSIDE THIS GREAT EVENT

Volunteers are the main part of the Paris-Brest-Paris organization:
they are always the first support of the randonneurs, from start to finish.
To manage 8 000 riders, we need 2 000 volunteers all over the route

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/become-a-volunteer/

You might need some Google Translate until some bits of the PBP Site catch up with their English version

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2022, 04:56:14 pm »

You might need some Google Translate until some bits of the PBP Site catch up with their English version

I am planning on volunteering for the 2023 edition if they'll have me (after the pleasure of volunteering LEL!). I looked at the site for volunteers and it gets a bit confusing at one stage (you have to create an account and there doesn't seem to be a direct link to PBP, you have to ask for it in the search box. PBP outsourcing the volunteer recruitment it seems). I haven't yet gone through with creating my account (which will probably be an excuse for spamming me with all sorts of junk) but will do so shortly in the new year. I want to be on the start end, having accomodation available not too far away. French doesn't pose too much of a problem, I'm hoping that they'll find fluent english useful!

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2022, 11:58:16 pm »

I am planning on volunteering for the 2023 edition if they'll have me (after the pleasure of volunteering LEL!). I looked at the site for volunteers and it gets a bit confusing at one stage (you have to create an account and there doesn't seem to be a direct link to PBP, you have to ask for it in the search box. PBP outsourcing the volunteer recruitment it seems). I haven't yet gone through with creating my account (which will probably be an excuse for spamming me with all sorts of junk) but will do so shortly in the new year. I want to be on the start end, having accomodation available not too far away. French doesn't pose too much of a problem, I'm hoping that they'll find fluent english useful!

Yes the process appears to be so convoluted I gave up, can't be arsed especially in a language in which I'm lacking detail and knowledge.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2023, 10:26:53 pm »

Yes the process appears to be so convoluted I gave up, can't be arsed especially in a language in which I'm lacking detail and knowledge.

I think for me the risk is that I will be spammed with all sorts of demands to volunteer for any and all other sorts of "manifestation publique" which could get very tiresome. Perhaps a UK based volunteer would escape a lot of that - perhaps?
It will probably be quite easy to just turn up and get signed on on the spot, if they're a bit short of manpower and you've been there before!