Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3896032 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24875 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:07:12 pm »
A grand day out Bromptoneering in London with one of my daughters  - cyclng in and around the City, East End, Shoreditch, Hoxton, Hackney, Spitalfields City Farm and some of the streets of houses where our Huguenot ancestors would have lived.  With a visit to the Dennis Severs house in Folgate Street - an authentic house showing life from c1700 - 1900 . . entirely lit by just candles and a couple of gas lamps.

« Reply #24876 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:12:09 pm »
A roundabout ride of 31 miles to get to a pub only four miles from home. We often cycle past the 8 Bells in the village of Abbotsley and I commented that we should be supporting these village pubs, hence the visit today. Excellent food, (Lamb for me) highly recommended and very reasonably priced.

https://www.abbotsleyeightbells.co.uk/menu

Would it be wrong  to ask how much you drank for 8 miles to become 30+

« Reply #24877 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:37:34 pm »
We will save that one for Christmas.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24878 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:37:56 pm »
A drizzly and damp ride this morning, nothing very unusual there but I punctured and I as I felt inside the tyre there was a wee sharp sliver of glass embedded in it.  And I couldn't focus on it:  The first time I've had to fix something on the roadside that needed good close up eyesight.
As I was fixing it, some guy rode passed and asked it I was ok.  I should have asked if he's got a pair of specs I could borrow.

Yesterday was a nice tandem run around the Tweed and the Clyde.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24879 on: 17 October, 2021, 11:33:12 pm »
Tandem Club ride starting from (and finishing at) Tankerton. Very odd riding across Gravenyey Marshes going The Wrong Way. Slow coffee stop at Oara was preceded by the worst Silly Sustrans Gates I've ever seen. Even Normil bikes have to be dismounted and the handlebars wiggled through. One of the convoy was on a recumbent trike which had to a completely different way. Reversed a bit more of the FNRTTC route then up a hill or two to reach Thee Pubbe in Painters Forstal. Good bit of grub, good service, good pint of Whitstable Pale Ale.

Back into Faversham in the afternoon followed by hills near Dunkirk.  Finished with coffee and homemade cakes on Tankerton Slopes, provided by Jim and Kate from their camper van.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24880 on: 20 October, 2021, 04:12:00 pm »

Stellar 20k, knackered after 6 days' post-dental convalescence + nothing much in gut.  No legs, felt like shit.  Snapped snail when stopped to warn MrsT I'd be home for lunch.  Had to be quick, it was moving faster than me.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24881 on: 20 October, 2021, 04:57:55 pm »
Being in France, presumably you collected the snail for lunch  :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24882 on: 20 October, 2021, 07:36:51 pm »
He was feeling so under par that he couldn't even carry it es cargot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24883 on: 20 October, 2021, 07:42:00 pm »
I think you should get back in your shell for a comment like that.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24884 on: 22 October, 2021, 02:20:40 pm »
Quick blast down to the station yesterday evening, train up to London's famous London then took Quietway 14 to a Thee Pubbe, where I met up with some of The Fridays (inc Frank OTP) for BEER.  Very good it was too.

But what is this? The "Q" emblazoned on the ground showing my way seemed defaced. Then the next, then the next ect ect, such that it was a "C".

(fx:tappity tap) Ah. It seems TFL have grouped Cycle Superhighways and Quietways under one banner of Cycleways.  Phew. That's that mystery cleared up.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24885 on: 22 October, 2021, 03:45:21 pm »
Tandem ride along the Phoenix Way from near Princes Risborough to Thame and back, with stop for lunch at the Three Horseshoes in Towersey for a fish and chip lunch. Expected to see more Autumn colour, but most trees haven't turned yet.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24886 on: 23 October, 2021, 05:51:48 pm »
Car failed the MOT yesterday so this morning I set off by bike to find a garage willing/able to do repair. Visited three all strangely closed, then my rear derailleur came off. Inspection showed that the bit of the frame that the RD is bolted to had snapped, so I guess it's bye-bye Cannondale. Got home, got out best bike and went for a ride round Richmond Park.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24887 on: 23 October, 2021, 06:06:04 pm »
Unless it was one of the very earliest Cannondales (e.g. 1980s), the rear derailleur hanger should be replaceable, not integral with the dropout.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24888 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:14:38 am »
Unless it was one of the very earliest Cannondales (e.g. 1980s), the rear derailleur hanger should be replaceable, not integral with the dropout.
Blimey, you are right. There are two little screws that I didn't notice because they were covered in dirt. I'm obliged.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #24889 on: 24 October, 2021, 01:33:03 pm »
Blimey, you are right. There are two little screws that I didn't notice because they were covered in dirt. I'm obliged.
Inspect the rear mech for damage/bending - the hangers don't normally snap without a reason, normally previous impact between rear mech and the road or rear mech has gone into the spokes
When a new hanger is fitted check/adjust the alignment - saves a lot of grief getting the gear indexing working nicely and avoids rear mech going into the spokes on some set ups.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24890 on: 24 October, 2021, 01:36:51 pm »
36k yesterday. Legs not working yet. Funny thing is that when I was pushing hard with quads hurting like hell my heart wasn't speeding up, as if some evil bugger had slipped me a dose of beta-blockers.  Arse.

« Reply #24891 on: 24 October, 2021, 03:38:06 pm »
The other common reason for the hanger snapping is the chain snagging in the mech cage and being pulled in by further pedalling.

Always back off if you notice a particularly crunchy gear change or unusual resistance.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24892 on: 24 October, 2021, 03:39:59 pm »
Always back off if you notice a particularly crunchy gear change or unusual resistance.

Or suspect a plastic bag may have blown into the gubbins.

« Reply #24893 on: 24 October, 2021, 06:30:43 pm »
13 flat miles on the sun ez3, ncn61 to just before the m4 then over the m4 bridge to the lane to bray and back to Windsor and home.  :).
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24894 on: 24 October, 2021, 09:05:30 pm »
Four of us on an RSF (Rough Stuff Fellowship) ride, starting from Lightwater, around Bracknell Forest. We took picnic lunches and enjoyed the warm sunshine for most of the time. About 20 miles in total.

I used daughter's Surly Trucker which has fallen under my care again now she is living in Frankfurt.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #24895 on: 26 October, 2021, 08:11:00 pm »
Little loop after work, was a bit hot in rolled up sleeves! Asked another cyclist not to undertake me :/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24896 on: 27 October, 2021, 03:32:58 pm »
Finally got my pre-extraction legs back, sort of: did 101k but shied away from a couple of my usual hills.  Just as well, since a left ACL started whining 5k before home.

Going to have to start using a saddlebag again: starting out in 6°C and finishing in 16°C made shedding layers a little problematical.

« Reply #24897 on: 27 October, 2021, 03:49:06 pm »
Small group ride of 33 miles agains quite a stiff head wind in order to obtain some wine from a frequently visited Italian wholesaler. Several cases of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo were purchased, the bottles being stashed away in panniers. Breakfast was also secured in a nearby Auction house which has a very good cafe. The wind blew the somewhat heavier bikes back home.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24898 on: 27 October, 2021, 11:20:31 pm »
Another run around Northumbrian lanes on the tandem. We were on some "Merse and Moors" and "Seahouses and back" roads today criss-crossing our way over the valleys.  Some mild off-roading crossing a ford.  Nice to get some new cafes and tiles late in the season.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24899 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:26:40 am »
Small group ride of 33 miles agains quite a stiff head wind in order to obtain some wine from a frequently visited Italian wholesaler. Several cases of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo were purchased, the bottles being stashed away in panniers. Breakfast was also secured in a nearby Auction house which has a very good cafe. The wind blew the somewhat heavier bikes back home.

Then you bring it to table gently so as not to disturb the lees...