Author Topic: Re: A trip to The Western Isles - the ugly!  (Read 1440 times)

el

Re: A trip to The Western Isles - the ugly!
« on: 04 July, 2021, 08:44:46 pm »
I've already written posts about the good and bad so now its time for the ugly.

Mostly ferries were a very good experience- photos under bikes on ferries. However, when arriving at the final ferry terminal the evening before my last ferry I received a text- due to operation reasons your ferry has been cancelled.  It was a low moment to be honest.  The knock on effect was that I was no longer able to make all my train connections. As the waiting room at the train station closed around 1 am I was asked to leave and spend the next several hours under a bus stop in Edinburgh.

The biggest impact on the trip though was the strong wind. Mostly it seemed to be a headwind- but even when it was blowing from another direction it was enough to affect steering destabilize the bike. On a number of occasions I wondered whether I was riding up or downhill such was the strength of the wind. I think local residents must have pegs with extra strong springs to keep items on the washing line.  I certainly remember seeing a trampoline that that blown onto its side only remaining in place because it was secured by a length of stout rope. The wind was certainly so strong on one occasion that I was unable to erect the tent- not a welcome event as I was wild camping. The wind was so strong I had to spend a few hours pushing the bike over the Harris hills- maybe it was my lack of fitness but I prefer to blame the wind.
hills by Norman Ton, on Flickr
 As I cycled the short journey back home  back home from the train station  felt a sense of achievement.  I had battled with the disconnected bike booking system on the train and overcome.  Despite some poor equipment choices, a missing ferry, and and unexpected night spent sitting on at a bus stop I was still glad I had escaped my city for a short time. I had experienced something other than working from home and watching the latest Covid updates on the news. Now time to shower, turn on the washing machine and get ready for the next trip.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:34:21 pm »
On the Mainland we have double peg days, outbin the Atlantic islanders have quadruple peggers, doubles a normal day...

The ferries are currently an utter shambles due to various mechanical issues all hitting the fleet at once, the civil service and a ship builder failing to get on and various political issues with the private sector ferry operators that means a perfectly suitable ship that's laid up doing nothing won't be getting chartered.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2021, 09:39:11 pm »
I'm sur eive previously regaled this forum of my experience of being blown up the Clisham only to have to grinf St 4knh I to the wind blowing out of scaledale to get down the Clisham followed by being shoved up the road to leurbost at 60kmh with little input to the drive train.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk