Author Topic: how to endure 1500km?  (Read 6183 times)

Re: how to endure 1500km?
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2022, 07:51:06 pm »
That exactly what I was thinking of, that or some water shoes or sandals. But didn't want to carry them if it was a no shoes at all policy.

Sounds like it's likely to be alright  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2022, 10:15:23 am »
A pair of cheap waders - or flip-flops as we used to call them - can be an asset at controls where shoes need to come off. Weigh next to nothing and easy to strap on to a saddlebag.

Waders?
https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/shop/mens-waders
If we need these to enter the toilets  :sick: I'll stick to finding somewhere behind a hedge in the countryside

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2022, 12:19:47 pm »
A pair of cheap waders - or flip-flops as we used to call them - can be an asset at controls where shoes need to come off. Weigh next to nothing and easy to strap on to a saddlebag.
I /think/ that the rule was introduced to prevent damage to floors from cleats (and maybe slips). To ensure consistency (dazed riders & language issues) the same rule was introduced at all controls.
Flip flops / Beach shoes should be fine I'd guess.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #28 on: 20 January, 2022, 01:08:08 pm »
I use these https://www.screwfix.com/p/disposable-overshoes-blue-size-one-size-fits-all-100-pack/3734K Can be resuesd if toilets are clean. Remember to make sure your shoes are easily identifiable.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #29 on: 20 January, 2022, 01:28:49 pm »
50 yards is way too near. 2-5km is better. You're still in the countryside then so you can pee in a more civilised way. Also avoids standing in line.
I was thinking of the driveway into a school in darkness, not the high street at 3pm! But the point stands, i think, although i stand corrected on the 50 yards rule. ☹️

I think the substance of your comment was clear to all and it's actually a very good piece of advice, but there are always a few that feel compelled to be pedantic...

« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2022, 12:45:10 am »
I think riding a comfortable yet sporty handling bike helps. I used to ride a custom 531C bike that was great, but since early 2015 I’ve ridden a Specialized Roubaix, which is probably even better. Being full carbon makes it light and responsive and the geometry and carbon seat post give added comfort. A responsive bike makes being more inclined to get out of the saddle occasionally and give my backside a rest. I upgraded the saddle to a Specialized Toupe, which despite seeming like a rock hard racing saddle is amazingly comfy for long rides. It has a cut out to relieve pressure where it matters.
I find MTB shoes and SPD pedals most practical and best suited to Audax rides and err on the large side to allow for expansion room and thicker socks.
After hurting my hip, I flipped the stem, which raised my handlebars and regained my comfort. This means that my hands put less pressure on the bars, and I have gel strips under thick cork type bar tape and wear gel mitts for further protection. I usually have clip on aero bars for extra changes of hand position but managed without these on 2015 PBP and 2017 LEL. I missed them heading south on the fens of course.
I don’t wear bib shorts and mostly wear dhb Aeron shorts. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £30 for a pair of cycling shorts. On the 2017 LEL, I wore the same pair of old CoolMax shorts for the whole ride, despite carrying spare shorts and having more pairs in my drop bags at Thirsk and Edinburgh. This was because I was comfortable and didn’t want to risk changing them for a different brand. I usually ride PBP in one pair of shorts too, but carry a spare pair in my bag just in case.
I took some crocs to wear at controls on LEL. Like others, I had a wee a few km before controls if I needed one, if there was somewhere discrete and convenient. Otherwise I waited until the control.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:48:09 am »

Waders?
If we need these to enter the toilets  :sick: I'll stick to finding somewhere behind a hedge in the countryside

Maybe it's a yoof thing but my teenage son always refers to what I would call flip-flops as 'waders'.

The other sort would have been very useful on the road between Innerleithen and Eskdalemuir in 2009!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:17:24 pm »

Waders?

Maybe it's a yoof thing but my teenage son always refers to what I would call flip-flops as 'waders'.

The other sort would have been very useful on the road between Innerleithen and Eskdalemuir in 2009!

I have never ever heard them referred to them as waders. Sliders, yeah, but waders? Nah. In the UK?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2022, 10:37:18 pm »

Waders?

I have never ever heard them referred to them as waders. Sliders, yeah, but waders? Nah. In the UK?

Yebbut yoof.
If you think they're wrong it only means you're old.
Eventually they'll be wrong when the next yoof are right.
Sick init.

« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:53:52 am »

Yebbut yoof.
If you think they're wrong it only means you're old.
Eventually they'll be wrong when the next yoof are right.
Sick init.

I know I'm getting on a bit, but I still know my drill from my grime.

« Reply #35 on: 23 January, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
I use these https://www.screwfix.com/p/disposable-overshoes-blue-size-one-size-fits-all-100-pack/3734K Can be resuesd if toilets are clean. Remember to make sure your shoes are easily identifiable.
These disposable overshoes (sometimes used for spectators to walk in to watch from a bench on the side of a swimming pool) were available at most if not all controls in 2017. Though I didn't enter St Ives (after 100km) and thereafter stayed ahead of the bulge.