Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1613080 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13825 on: 25 September, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
Took down a conifer of some sort for next door, stump only about 30 cm, drilled deep holes all over it with a spade bit and in a couple of years it had rotted away completely.
Should work on soft stumps such as yours, don't know about hard stumps. I must pop across the road and do that to some stumps of ash and a type of willow before this interregnum ends on Monday.

Put some ammonium sulphamate (used to be sold as 'rootout' but now only as compost accelerant) in the drilled holes to prevent regrowth on hardwoods and to accelerate decomposition on all varieties.

edited to remove big thumb errors!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13826 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:53:04 pm »
I want to put up a couple of rows of coat hooks in the vestibule, but the elastrickery meter and all that jazz are in there so obviously almost the whole wall goes wee-oo when I wave the deth detector at it.
So I guess they'll be going in the hall then.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13827 on: 28 September, 2021, 08:06:28 am »
I want to put up a couple of rows of coat hooks in the vestibule, but the elastrickery meter and all that jazz are in there so obviously almost the whole wall goes wee-oo when I wave the deth detector at it.

Wires in the wall are seldom running horizontally - and if they are under plaster would (should) be in a conduit cover  . . . 

« Reply #13828 on: 28 September, 2021, 09:59:10 am »

Hooks onto a batten / backboard, only need 2 -4 holes to fix it - or "no more nails" type stuff?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13829 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:12:56 am »
It's a row of hooks on a board, getting the 2 holes in the right place on the wall was proving to be a challenge though. Although I guess I can drill a hole somewhere else in the board..

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13830 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:21:45 am »
What's the construction of the wall? Is it lath and plaster, or plasterboard?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13831 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:27:04 am »
Plasterboard I think. I don't think it's weeooing at lath nails, it's fairly well concentrated above the meter cupboard.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13832 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:38:02 am »
You want to find the mid-points of the wooden uprights behind the plasterboard.
This is what you will want to screw the hook board into.
Yes, this may involve re-drilling the hook board.
The wires will generally be going vertically between the uprights, not across them.

In this scenario, if you cannot see the vertical rows of plasterboard screws to show the line of the uprights, my preferred approach is to use a thin screwdriver to experimentally poke holes in the PB. It will simply push through anywhere between the uprights, but will not damage any wiring or pipework. If you have hit an upright, you will not be able to push it through. Give it a wiggle left and right to see if you can feel an upright. Move left or right, repeating this till you find an upright. Try to find the other side of the upright, and hence determine the mid-point.

The next one will usually be 16 or 24" / 400 or 600mm away, depending on vintage.

You will end up with a horizontal series of tiny holes which will be hidden behind the thing you are mounting. Un-hidden holes can either be filled or ignored, depending on where they are.

« Reply #13833 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:44:03 am »
I've had good results using 3M Command Strip hooks in our hallway, to avoid holes.  The kids' school bags (significantly heavier than most coats) have been well supported there for a few years now.

https://command.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/command-gb/products/?N=5002385+8711749+8723920+3294857496&rt=r3
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

robgul

« Reply #13834 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:52:07 am »
You want to find the mid-points of the wooden uprights behind the plasterboard.
This is what you will want to screw the hook board into.
Yes, this may involve re-drilling the hook board.
The wires will generally be going vertically between the uprights, not across them.

In this scenario, if you cannot see the vertical rows of plasterboard screws to show the line of the uprights, my preferred approach is to use a thin screwdriver to experimentally poke holes in the PB. It will simply push through anywhere between the uprights, but will not damage any wiring or pipework. If you have hit an upright, you will not be able to push it through. Give it a wiggle left and right to see if you can feel an upright. Move left or right, repeating this till you find an upright. Try to find the other side of the upright, and hence determine the mid-point.

The next one will usually be 16 or 24" / 400 or 600mm away, depending on vintage.

You will end up with a horizontal series of tiny holes which will be hidden behind the thing you are mounting. Un-hidden holes can either be filled or ignored, depending on where they are.

That's my method of choice, with a bradawl - if you punch the holes behind where your board with the hooks will go you don't even need to fill the holes  ;)

ian

« Reply #13835 on: 28 September, 2021, 12:19:54 pm »
Coat-stand!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13836 on: 28 September, 2021, 05:31:37 pm »
Well it's done. And I was reminded just how much I hate drilling into walls. (Years of living with lath & plaster did that).
2021-09-28_05-21-33 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #13837 on: 28 September, 2021, 05:50:18 pm »
This may astonish you, but I also used to live at number 51.

Alas, The Asbestos Power is not a number, it's a name. Though filthily common so I have to tear down the signs for any houses that I see with the same name. There can be only one.

robgul

« Reply #13838 on: 28 September, 2021, 06:16:25 pm »
Well it's done. And I was reminded just how much I hate drilling into walls.
2021-09-28_05-21-33 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I hope that the hooks and coats hanging thereon don't foul the door when it's opened . . .   just saying.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13839 on: 28 September, 2021, 06:20:39 pm »
There was nowhere else for it to go on that wall so had no choice, but it seems ok. Will probably have the 2nd set I bought put up in the kitchen cupboard under the stairs for overspill though.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13840 on: 28 September, 2021, 09:40:05 pm »
That’s a strange place for a toilet roll holder.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13841 on: 28 September, 2021, 09:54:49 pm »
Haha, you like the previous owner's naff choice of handles then?  ;D
Which reminds me, I still need to find a replacement knob for the vestibule door...

« Reply #13842 on: 29 September, 2021, 03:05:34 pm »
This should probably make rant but last year the next door but one neighbours who's garden we go through to access ours said to help ourselves to apples as their tree which we had already been scrumping off was laden with beautiful fruit and they could store no more.

They sadly moved and I realised when ilooked this week that the new owner has chopped the tree down. I am utterly bewildered as to why you would although my other neighbours did the same with their two apple trees as only like golden delicious

Neither are gardeners but a tree giving you free apples seems a no brainer to me

And now the house which had the wonderful apple tree chopped down has gone on the market. If there's any time between the current and new owners moving out and in I'm considering guerrilla planting an apple tree

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13843 on: 02 October, 2021, 07:36:35 pm »
In the absence of a “Geography the makes you cringe” thread I'd like to inform the clot currently presenting a feature of offshore wind farms on the BBC News Channel that Grimsby is not now and never has been in East Yorkshire >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13844 on: 02 October, 2021, 09:06:17 pm »
In the absence of a “Geography the makes you cringe” thread I'd like to inform the clot currently presenting a feature of offshore wind farms on the BBC News Channel that Grimsby is not now and never has been in East Yorkshire >:(
Absobloodylutely, the closest it got was humberside, but I don't think that went down well between Grimsby and Hull
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13845 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:13:01 pm »
Humberside was only ever a reality in the minds of the hot air factory that is Westminster. Those that live north and south of the Humber reside, as always, in the East Ryding of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire respectively
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13846 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:29:08 pm »
And may dog have mercy on their souls.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13847 on: 03 October, 2021, 05:17:35 pm »
We only want a shed. Nothing fancy, just a shed for gardening tat.
Local firm recommended by Pingu's co-worker "February at the earliest"
Greenhousepeople/Dobbies "12 week delivery"
Somewhere else local "we've got one in stock" \o/ Drive out there to have a look, it looks like crap.  :facepalm:

Thanks brexshit.

robgul

« Reply #13848 on: 03 October, 2021, 06:14:17 pm »
We only want a shed. Nothing fancy, just a shed for gardening tat.
Local firm recommended by Pingu's co-worker "February at the earliest"
Greenhousepeople/Dobbies "12 week delivery"
Somewhere else local "we've got one in stock" \o/ Drive out there to have a look, it looks like crap.  :facepalm:

Thanks brexshit.

Try Tiger Sheds - excellent quality and some on 4-5 week delivery (but may cost you more being near the Arctic Circle)

« Reply #13849 on: 03 October, 2021, 06:17:50 pm »
Expensive but well put together.
http://www.beastsheds.co.uk/beast-sheds
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain