Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134625 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #50 on: 23 January, 2009, 07:43:20 am »
I am riding down tonight.  I may not make Rochford Station by 1930 hours.  So therefore, where are you going after the station so I can catch you up.

Plus, is there a nice route for getting from the Battlesbridge area to Rochford?  I will probably come over North Hill, and thru Danbury.

« Reply #51 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:12:13 am »
I am riding down tonight.  I may not make Rochford Station by 1930 hours.  So therefore, where are you going after the station so I can catch you up.

Plus, is there a nice route for getting from the Battlesbridge area to Rochford?  I will probably come over North Hill, and thru Danbury.
I think this'll be the pub route from the station, Clicky. I'll come back to find you if needed.  :thumbsup:

This is probably the most pleasant route, Battlesbridge to Rochford.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #52 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:26:02 am »

I think this'll be the pub route from the station, Clicky. I'll come back to find you if needed.  :thumbsup:

This is probably the most pleasant route, Battlesbridge to Rochford.

Thanks Del, the Battlesbridge / Rochford route is the one I use to go to the Outlaws so I know it.  Don't you blokes go through some a farm where the gate is sometimes locked and you get chased by dogs (or did I just make that up?)

I've got your mobile number so if I need to call in the Pathfinder Squadron I will give you a call.

« Reply #53 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:41:08 am »
To use the barred route go straight on to Canewdon Rd. instead of heading south on Ashingdon. TR at Hyde Wood Lane. Google shows a break after the crossroads but the bridleway continues through that, beware the gates as they are surrounded by mud and you can't open the gates, you ride around them.
If your quite late it might be worth a ring to see where we are and maybe use this lane to get the second, or third, pub. Just follow it through and turn left on Stambridge Rd.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #54 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:10:13 am »
To use the barred route go straight on to Canewdon Rd. instead of heading south on Ashingdon. TR at Hyde Wood Lane. Google shows a break after the crossroads but the bridleway continues through that, beware the gates as they are surrounded by mud and you can't open the gates, you ride around them.
If your quite late it might be worth a ring to see where we are and maybe use this lane to get the second, or third, pub. Just follow it through and turn left on Stambridge Rd.

Thanks Del.  Can you send me a map with an arrow so I can spot it on my OS map???

« Reply #55 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:41:36 am »
Thanks Del.  Can you send me a map with an arrow so I can spot it on my OS map???
Is this what you want, Clicky? (suggest you toggle map sizes:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:49:10 am »
Or, with a few more details,

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

takes you straight to the Golden Lion.

As Del says, there are two barriers to negotiate. The first, not far from a duck pond, I find is normally open in the hours of daylight, more likely to be closed after dark. You can negotiate this in one of two ways: there's a gap immediately to the left of it which is likely to be muddy; or you can turn and go through the stable yard, which is concreted. I used to use the latter all the time until some horsey woman objected to a cyclist in her private space, but you are quite unlikely to meet any horsey types after dark.

The second you can ride past, keeping it on your right, and then negotiate some bollards. In daylight, and while sober, you can ride through these with ease.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #57 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:56:02 am »
Or, with a few more details,

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

takes you straight to the Golden Lion.

As Del says, there are two barriers to negotiate. The first, not far from a duck pond, I find is normally open in the hours of daylight, more likely to be closed after dark. You can negotiate this in one of two ways: there's a gap immediately to the left of it which is likely to be muddy; or you can turn and go through the stable yard, which is concreted. I used to use the latter all the time until some horsey woman objected to a cyclist in her private space, but you are quite unlikely to meet any horsey types after dark.

The second you can ride past, keeping it on your right, and then negotiate some bollards. In daylight, and while sober, you can ride through these with ease.

If it's not a silly question, that map shows a circular route - why not head straight up Ashingdon Road to the pubbe?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #58 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:58:50 am »
For much of the day, the Ashingdon road is an A road in all but name. It's narrow, busy, heavy lorries use it, there is a totally inadequate farcility first one side, then the other, and I hate it with a vengeance.

For the sake of an extra mile, you can have rural tranquillity - a little bit of north Essex that got lost.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #59 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:59:27 am »
Wow, are you getting the train to Rochford Station?   ;D ;D ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Regulator

« Reply #60 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:59:33 am »
For much of the day, the Ashingdon road is an A road in all but name. It's narrow, busy, heavy lorries use it, there is a totally inadequate farcility first one side, then the other, and I hate it with a vengeance.

For the sake of an extra mile, you can have rural tranquillity - a little bit of north Essex that got lost.

Ah... that seems sensible (I don't know the area and wondered about the detour).

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #61 on: 23 January, 2009, 10:00:13 am »
I have a pass  :thumbsup:

I aim to be at Rochford Station for 7.20 p.m.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #62 on: 23 January, 2009, 10:01:01 am »
Wow, are you getting the train to Rochford Station?   ;D ;D ;D

Wot? And spend 5p on a permit to travel??

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #63 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:35:26 am »
Have just driven home from ASDA along the seafront. The wind is getting up, the temperature is between 2°-3°c and the rain is coming down heavy and is getting a porridgy constistency that stayed on the side of the windscreen for a while.   :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #64 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:36:11 am »

Ah... that seems sensible (I don't know the area and wondered about the detour).

If you're ever in that area, DO stay in the road and don't use the farcility (I must upload my photos at some point, it has give way markings painted at EVERY residential driveway :D :D :D)

However don't let yourself get worried about that road, once on it it isn't too bad.   I spent much of last summer commuting home along it in the evening rush hour just to get some extra miles in, and intend to do the same this year.

« Reply #65 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:36:54 am »
Have just driven home from ASDA along the seafront. The wind is getting up, the temperature is between 2°-3°c and the rain is coming down heavy and is getting a porridgy constistency that stayed on the side of the windscreen for a while.   :-\

I am sitting at my desk in wet socks and undercrackers.

I'm supposed to be going out again at 14:30ish :-\

« Reply #66 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:37:46 am »
Met Office says clear and cold for tonight.

Regulator

« Reply #67 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:38:57 am »

Might I suggest Tena for Men?    ;)

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #68 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:44:37 am »
It is indeed most unpleasant at the moment, but I am of the firm belief that things will improve greatly by 7 p.m.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:45:36 am »

That wasn't the reaction I expected from you to a young man in a state of deshabille.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #70 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:45:57 am »
Met Office says clear and cold for tonight.

The sun always shines on our rides.  Have you not noticed?

Regulator

« Reply #71 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:48:10 am »

That wasn't the reaction I expected from you to a young man in a state of deshabille.

I just can't understand why you all seem to have this belief that I am a sex-crazed loon...  ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #72 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:50:26 am »
The sun always shines on our rides.  Have you not noticed?

No, it's always been at night!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:51:31 am »
I just can't understand why you all seem to have this belief that I am a sex-crazed loon...  ;D

Me neither ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #74 on: 23 January, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
Just back from a recce ride.  ::-)
Yes it was wet!
Yes it was windy!
Yes it was cold(ish)!
The worst thing was that my new waterproof jacket that I received yesterday isn't waterproof so that's going back! There is a little flooding, big puddles really, but it isn't deep, it is avoidable and I expect it to disappear by tonight. NSTN rating is very good.

Pics of wet places are here, Clicky.