Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 06:22:47 pm »
Hampshire capitulating as expected. 93-5, needing another 115 to make Surrey bat again. No play in Chester-le-Street.
OT Knowledge / Re: Wall repair prep pre decorating
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 06:18:49 pm »
At this point I decided to try and reuse the existing quadrant first. So I sanded it down with my new rubber sanding mould and then gently pried it off.
PXL_20240428_150134242 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Then, instead of expanding foam, I shoved a load of foam backer rod down the gap, and then I plopped some Toupret Fil Flex in the worst of the holes, and hopefully give it a top coat of fine interior filler later.

PXL_20240428_165404098 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Now I need to get the panel pins out of the quadrant, but that's a job for another day.

The Knowledge / Re: The return of Bicycle Repair Man
« Last post by Adam on Today at 05:20:27 pm »
Yes, the solution is threadless bottom brackets.  Which aren't actually threadless, but merely 2 narrow halves which screw together rather than onto the frame.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brackets/110-yst-threadless-68-mm-sealed-bearing-bottom-bracket-for-frames-with-damaged-threads/
But would road-runner come back to host the half-way stop?
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 05:15:34 pm »
Fitted a new chainring to a customer's bike - the old one had virtually no teeth and he wondered why it kept throwing the chain.   Also fitted gear cables to the same machine . . .  don't you just love frames with internal cabling.

Yebbut think about the aero.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I have moved the stem from the ex-eBrute to the eTrek and put a longer stem on the Brute.  I doubt if I'll be riding it again other than on the turbo. Sad about that - I did almost all my long-distance and all my big climbs on it.  It will now revert to its old handle of Ti Warhorse.

Aye well.
OT Knowledge / Re: Dodgy multimeter?
« Last post by Diver300 on Today at 05:12:34 pm »
It’s not ideal, but voltages that high are hard to find in a house, especially DC voltages. I would far rather that meter than nothing and whatever meter you have, always test your meter before assuming something is dead. You set any meter to read DC volts and it would show mains AC voltage as zero, or just not make connection with the probes, so checking that some reading can be made is important.

The same connections for current and voltage is also not the best. It is worth finding out if the meter can still read voltage with a blown current fuse.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Last post by jwo on Today at 04:49:08 pm »
I wanted to like Blue Lights, but found it rather soapy considering how seriously it appears to take itself. That and a little too much police propagandising.
The Knowledge / Re: The return of Bicycle Repair Man
« Last post by robgul on Today at 04:37:49 pm »
Unless I'm not understanding there are "threadless bottom brackets" for square taper cranks - for use when the BB shell threads are stripped/damaged.    I fitted a couple when I was managing an LBS about 5 years ago and they worked fine.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 04:16:35 pm »
Next Monday 15th, BBC 1 10pm, series 2 of Blue Lights.

We’ve just been catching up with the first series. Enjoyed it. Ending was a bit predictable though, and it teeters on the edge of cheesiness in places. A lot of Line of Duty influences. Richard Dormer is great.

Will watch the second series.
For the less die-hard fans among us, the Giro d’Italia highlights are on DMax at 7pm starting next Saturday. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10