Author Topic: Asthma due to allergens - considering cycling pollution mask any good?  (Read 957 times)

I've just been diagnosed with asthma caused by allergens in my early 40s. Never had it before but symptoms started this summer. Got inhaler which works well, used twice today, used to with the daily antihistamines. Feel better than I did so probably a reasonable diagnosis.

My final straw before seeing the doctor was a bad night with tight chest and the way I cough my guts up after the my morning.commute by bike. This makes me wonder about something like the respro techno techno face mask. Anyone use one to the help.your asthma?

BTW I live in semi-rural, small town and cycle down a main a-road into the small city. I go through one village and traffic is a steady rate but not constant. When I hit the built up city I have about 8 minutes travel to my destination. About 4 minutes in traffic. Not sure it's worth a mask but I'm guessing it all helps. I'm thinking of only using it in autumn/winter when the air is cold. Figure it'll at least warm the air up before I breathe it in.

Does anyone have any views on masks for cyclists? Recommendations, places to buy from, suitability for a lower pollution commute like mine, etc would be much appreciated.

Re: Asthma due to allergens - considering cycling pollution mask any good?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:22:57 pm »
I think many people find that the extra breathing effort creates more problems than it solves.

As for the cold air issue, the best fix is a wool scarf or buff, arranged so you breath through this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:36:58 pm »
I've never really tried a mask, though I've often thought that it would be a good idea for gardening.

Unavoidable allergens are best dealt with with using copious amounts of steroids and antihistamines, I find.

Nothing you can reasonably carry on a bike works for cold air, but I find it's only a problem for prolonged periods.  There are fewer allergens in the winter, so my asthma's much more manageable.  Many asthmatics find the opposite.  I suppose a mask or buff might help by recycling some of the moisture when the air's cold and dry, but mostly I find they help keep your face warm.

Knowing exactly what you're allergic to is helpful.  While my pollen allergies were obious, I didn't realise that house dust was as big a problem as it is - or that I have no reaction whatsoever to cats - until I got tested.

It's all a bit YMMV.

« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:57:56 pm »
Pollen, dust mite faeces (tell it like it is, you're allergic to the faeces of dust mites), don't know what else. Which type of pollen I don't know. Used to get allergic reaction at a certain time of year limited to antihistamines needed for 2 months now I get it bad on and off all year. Last 2 years buddleia caused major reaction but nothing this year. This year old somethings been causing reactions for both me and my partner quite badly. All local too. We both drove home from other end of England and coming off the motorway 1.5 miles from home we both got an immediate reaction, dry eyes. Very uncanny how it happened.

Basically doubt I'll ever be able to limit antihistamine use to a fixed, bad reaction period.

What's odd is asthma only started this summer for me and only badly recently when the morning temp got to about 6C. Although I've always woken up coughing badly, especially in colder times such as camping Autumn or early spring.

The only change in lifestyle is that I'm commuting more this year, in fact I've done 4 days commuting a week pretty much all summer long. This hints at my asthma having a correlation to riding in town. I just suspect a mask might reduce inhaler use. I'm kind of loathe to use.drugs if I've got some other means to control a condition. However if the mask isn't user friendly that won't work. Cold air is easily covered with buffs, used already, but not pollution or particulates though. Would be good to control them If the solution isn't too uncomfortable.

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:14:20 pm »
Guardian Blog.

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »
I dont commute anymore, but when I did I used to see a commuter cycling everyday in the local market town wearing a pretty full face mask. Clearly pollution or some such was an issue for him.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain