General Category > Health & Fitness

TURP procedure.

(1/5) > >>

Andy W:
Has anyone on this platform had this procedure?  If so, what is the likely time off the bike or even gently turbo training?

julk:
I had the TURP (trans urethral resection of the prostate) about 14 years ago. I had an epidural anaesthetic which worked well.
The TURP is keyhole surgery going in at the penis tip and along the urethra to the prostate where excess internal flesh is cut out using laser or an electric heated element to reduce bleeding at the site. This procedure will drastically improve your urine flow afterwards(!) once the Foley catheter is removed in hospital. The Foley catheter is a device for flushing the bladder and operation site for a time after the procedure until healing is presumed to have started. Having the catheter removed was probably the most pain I experienced but it is over in seconds.
The site will be sore internally and bleed for a small number of days, you may pass blood in your urine, you will need some rest.
When cycling you will be putting pressure on the prostate area, maybe a cutout top saddle might help.
I suspect you will be advised to stay off the bike for 3 weeks.
I hope this helps and is not too much information.

I recommend proceeding with the TURP if your lifestyle is being impacted by an always full bladder due to an inability to empty it fully. I had reached needing to urinate hourly due to an ever full bladder, I have had 14 useful years since the TURP.
You may like me be diagnosed with prostate cancer when the chips cut out are analysed, but I am still here and hope to die with it rather than from it.

Andy W:
Thanks Julk. Not too much information at all. I have researched the procedure and am fully aware of what is involved. I was interested in the recovery outcome for cyclists. I expect recovery is quite variable and as you suggest, 3 weeks off the bike is a probable outcome.
Ive been waiting since 2019 for this op. Covid likely delayed mine and many other operations.

chrisbainbridge:
Having it done by the Da Vinci robot is said to improve results.

julk:
Andy,
it sounds like you have been waiting rather a long time for your op.

When I was bladder full all the time, I was put onto self catheterisation to give my bladder a chance to recover some elasticity by being emptied occasionally. You may have reached the stage where it is worth mentioning to your medical contact as a possibility. If worthwhile, it will reduce the recovery time for your bladder after the op.

I wish you all the best for a speedy op.
Julian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version