Author Topic: chain tensioner  (Read 2860 times)

chain tensioner
« on: 26 September, 2013, 01:34:27 pm »
Am slowly getting together all the bits and pieces I need to convert my Focus Cayo (2009) into a single speed machine. I have most bits now but am struggling with the CHAIN TENSIONER.

Should I purchase a sprung or unsprung tensioner?

What is possibly the best tensioner I should go for?

Cheers,

Doo
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Re: chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »
I'd go for sprung so will keep the chain tensioned at all times and would not require regular adjustment.
Apparently one that pushes the chain up rather than pulls it down is better so it engages the chain on more teeth on the freewheel.

I've used an On One Doofer which was cheap and worked but didn't last very long and started rusting after a couple of weeks.

The Surly one has a good rep and you can set it to push up or down. Think it's about £35?

Both of these have a single jockey wheel.

I now have a Paul Melvin Tensioner on my single speed which has two jockey wheels similar to a rear mech. Expensive but it's a work of art, works perfectly and jockey wheels run on sealed precision bearings.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »
If you can handle the non-singlespeed look of it, I'd be tempted to just use an old rear mech. It will allow more freedom to switch in/out freewheels.

I have a similar one to the on-one thingy and though it works, it too is very rusty, though to be fair that bike gets ridden mainly as an ice bike so deals routinely with gritted roads. Push up ones are supposed to be better.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »
This is Velo Fixe.  GTFO.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2013, 03:11:28 pm »
Off topic is the new on topic :P

Hello to you too chris.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »
'and singlespeed for Laodiceans'.

I have an unsprung one on the icebike. Needs adjusting about as often as I need to tighten the chain on the fixed.

(ie, a little bit more frequently than I actually get round to tightening it.)

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

I have an unsprung one on the icebike. Needs adjusting about as often as I need to tighten the chain on the fixed.

That looks a nice tensioner. What is it?

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »
One of these .
No jockey wheels, no real moving parts at all, indestructible. Chain runs in a channel on the pulley.
The reviews slate it, but I've never had any problems. I don't have QR (the disc mount prohibits it) & it's fine. The reviewers don't like the wide pulley, saying it allows the chain to come off, but I run an agricultural chain with sufficient tension that I've not had any issue at all.

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »

Surely a singlespeed is more tolerant of a little bit of chain slack than a fixed gear. I'm only aware of fixie chains derailing at high cadence, which is more optional with a freewheel.

« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2013, 10:58:54 am »
Yes.

But it looks bad.

I have shipped the chain a couple of times on the fixed, not at all on the single speed. Having said that, I do many many more miles fixed than SS, which I only ride in the winter, and only when I have to.