Author Topic: trying out fixed  (Read 7629 times)

Re: trying out fixed
« Reply #25 on: 11 June, 2014, 03:36:26 pm »
Just go back to a freehub. Seriously, just do it. The technology has progressed for good reason. :P

Of course, many motorists make the same argument about bikes in general.  Just because new technology changes, doesn't mean previous options aren't viable.  Or, in the case of fixed gear cycling, plain fun.

I posit that it's actually the motor car that's the redundant outdated technology.  ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #26 on: 11 June, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »
I've tried fixed numerous times over the last few years and each time I always come to the conclusion that having put in the effort to get up a hill, I shouldn't have to make an effort to get back down it when I can just as easily not.
One of the main enjoyments of cycling is freewheeling down a hill.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #27 on: 11 June, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »
There's always the option to remove your feet from the pedals and place them on the top tube (works better on a step through frame).  It's surprisingly easy to get your feet back on the pedals once they are going around slower again.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #28 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »
There's always the option to remove your feet from the pedals and place them on the top tube (works better on a step through frame).  It's surprisingly easy to get your feet back on the pedals once they are going around slower again.

Is correct.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:39:21 pm »
Just go back to a freehub. Seriously, just do it. The technology has progressed for good reason. :P

Of course, many motorists make the same argument about bikes in general.  Just because new technology changes, doesn't mean previous options aren't viable.  Or, in the case of fixed gear cycling, plain fun.

I posit that it's actually the motor car that's the redundant outdated technology.  ;)

I await the matter transporter.

Jakob

« Reply #30 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »
Well, fixed isn't for everyone. If you stick with it, however, your overall bikehandling skills will improve and it'll do wonders for your pedalling technique.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #31 on: 11 June, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »

The fixed gear experiment is now over.  The bike is converted back to an Alfine

Never again will you feel that surge of power at the bottom of a decent that will catapult you up the next lump
Never again will you be completely in charge
Never again will you go faster than gearies on rolling terrain
Never again will you feel the road
Never again will you have known that you've pedaled all the way
Never again will you feel the momentum carry over the crest
Never again will you have near-complete faith in your bike
Never again will you have to fart standing on the pedals

« Reply #32 on: 11 June, 2014, 11:24:52 pm »
;D

And another little-heralded advantage of riding fixed - drivers tend not to overtake too close when you're spinning away downhill.

« Reply #33 on: 12 June, 2014, 04:48:02 am »
;D

And another little-heralded advantage of riding fixed - drivers tend not to overtake too close when you're spinning away downhill.
In which part of the country does that apply? It's outwith my experience in Warwickshire. However I'm not very objective since I rarely ride with a freewheel, so won't make comparisons.   

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2014, 11:53:10 am »

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »
I'm getting better at this. 50.8km/h max speed* on the way into work this morning means that I'm back to the same sort of commuting speeds as I was doing SS. I'm also feeling more in control when descending.

Considering two weeks ago I was scared of stopping or any slight downhills, and going to give up and put the freewheel back on I'm actually quite pleased with myself  :smug:
*68.5" gear so somewhere in the low 150s RPM
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #36 on: 14 June, 2014, 11:23:53 am »
;D

In which part of the country does that apply? It's outwith my experience in Warwickshire. However I'm not very objective since I rarely ride with a freewheel, so won't make comparisons.

I've found it to be the case to some extent (I'm in Scotland). Motorists tend to stay behind a bit more, even though I'm going more slowly than I would on a geared bike.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #37 on: 15 June, 2014, 11:02:28 am »
I first rode fixed on a taster session at the Manchester Velodrome, ans was still on a high when I got back home to Bristol several hours later. I've found that riding on the road has taken a lot more getting used to, but am pleased that I have persevered. Descending as a fixed novice can certainly be a bit hairy, as can those moments when one wants to stop pedalling momentarily - I had one last week after hitting a large pothole that I hadn't spotted. I now feel much more comfortable on the bike (although hand/arm tiredness is still an issue on hilly 200s, and I'm not yet confident that I could complete a 600 in comfort).

Haven't worked it out accurately, but think I can comfortably do around 150rpm for a while now, and peak at around 180 but can't sustain that. Rode the Gospel Pass 200 on the fixed yesterday, and was pleased to be able to manage the long descents with a combination of manual braking, leg braking and spinning to suit.
I'm also getting much more reconciled to the idea of walking up certain hills/sections.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 15 June, 2014, 11:46:46 am »
Track racing is great fun. A combination of bursts of pure physical performance in a framework of tactical thought without the distractions of outside interference (road conditions, weather, etc).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...