Author Topic: Speedplay Pedals..  (Read 3022 times)

Speedplay Pedals..
« on: 04 September, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
Thinking of trying some speedplay pedals on my fixed bike, anyone using/used them, any advice appreciated.

Re: Speedplay Pedals..
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »
You could try PMing Peliroja - I believe she uses them, although I don't know wether that includes her fixie.

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »
Billplumtree definitely uses them. Give him a shout.

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2014, 07:21:23 pm »
Ok.. many thanks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2014, 08:29:15 pm »
Butterfly has a pair, too.
Getting there...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2014, 08:36:52 pm »
I use Speedplay Zeros on my road, commuting fixed and track bikes. They're the only pedals I've used for the last five years and I'm really very happy with them. The downsides that I have experienced are that the cleats can require a lot of force to engage when brand new, apparently this is an issue for lighter riders (which is addressed by the 'light action' pedal); they can get a bit sticky if contaminated with grit; the cleats are expensive (but pretty hard wearing); there is not a large range of four hole shoes optimised for Speedplay (but the adapters add very little weight or height to the shoe).
Highlights are the adjustability, ease of maintenance, easy double sided entry, neatness, and retention - I don't think I have ever pulled a foot out, and I pull up fairly hard.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2014, 08:43:22 pm »
I love them. They look beautiful and are very comfortable to use.

I ended up using dry lube on them before every use though after a few incidents of getting stuck and once having to ride up a side road and take my foot out of my shoe :o. That was a particularly wet and yucky ride though with a lot of walking up muddy hills.

The only reason I don't use them at the moment is that the cleats are very bulky and I really need shoes that I can walk in so SPDs work better. I once took my shoes off to carry my bike over a railway bridge! ::-)

Hope that helps.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »
Billplumtree definitely uses them.

I do indeed, and swear by 'em.   Fixed and gears, I have em on all my bikes and have had since I first went clipless *mumble* years ago.  Mine are Frogs, so cleats designed to self-clean, 2-hole SPD shoes and recessed cleats for easy walking - and to save wear and tear, cos as Ben says the cleats aren't cheap.  They do last well though, so when they do wear out the most cost-effective way to buy a new pair is to buy a new set of pedals+cleats.

I've had knee problems in the past, and I'm convinced the free float and zero tension clippy in/out thing helps in that regard.  And, on the other side of that coin, I've only ever had accidental release problems once - when I adjusted a cleat wrongly, and didn't test it before going for a ride (top tip: carry a 2.5mm allen key with you).  Otherwise, no problems with accidental release, or unwanted not-releasing, and I'm very much of the spinning rather than grinding persuasion on fixed.

HTH

« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »
There's a pair of Frogs with cleats on the CTC forum:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=88570

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:06:34 pm »
Top tip no 2: if you buy them second hand, make sure you get the original bolts with the cleats.  They're shorter than the usual SPD bolts, and hard to get hold of otherwise.  And don't round them off...

« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »
Many thanks everyone, was a bit worried that they seem a bit of a faff with lubing and adjusting, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Merlins have some for £ioo which seems pretty good.

« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2014, 11:26:22 pm »
I used to use them, and loved them as they reduced my knee pain. Then I started riding a touring bike and reverted to mountain bike shoes. I'm not sure why I took them off my road bike. Or even where they are! Lovely and red, they were...

rob

« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »
I use frogs on audax, commuting and TT bikes - all fixed.   Cleats wear a bit when the soles of the shows wear but doesn't seem to effect the engagement.   Slightly annoying rattle when they're a bit worn and your spinning fast.

I had a pair seize on me after a couple of years use.   I then discovered the grease port and bought one of the specific grease guns.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »
I have some Speedplay X2 pedals. (Not on fixed, though)

Upsides:
Fantastic float. Easy to use. Good on the knees and feel very smooth - like pedaling on perfect ice bearings.

Downsides:
Expensive (~£130 for the X2s), bulky cleats - cleat covers highly recommended (£12).

Tips:
Keep well greased - this can be tested by "spinning" the pedal - if if turns all the way round when flicked by hand, it needs some grease; simple job with a nipple equipped grease gun.
Keep the cleats lightly greased - I put a little on all over the cleat insides and then wipe off with my grease rag - makes clipping in and out a doddle and improves on the smoothness even more.
Replace the cleats when they get worn - they are also not cheap though! ~£34.

My most used pair of pedals has survived about 10,000k and is still going strong.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2014, 03:32:44 pm »
i've been using frog pedals since 2009 when i started audax and also rate them highly for smoothness, float and quick and easy clip-in. you can not disengage the cleat when the crank is between 8-10 o'clock as you because the front of the shoe hits the crank as you twist the heel outwards (i was caught out few times in the early days). another slight faff is lubing (or, not forgetting to lube) the cleats before the longer ride.
frankly, there is no perfect pedal system and i have tried nearly all on the market.

savine

• the Lord is my rock
« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:15:01 pm »
I use them on all my bikes and have been for the past eight years, on my fixed bikes I'm using the original Titan ones which have a tad more play in and my geared bikes I'm usi.g the Zeros. Only problem I can find is that the cleats are expensive.
daniel-savine.blogspot.de