Author Topic: Weight v Repetitions  (Read 3288 times)

Weight v Repetitions
« on: 07 November, 2008, 06:46:34 pm »
I have been doing some upper body exercises to tone my arms, shoulders and chest. It has been working, using 4kg and 5kg dumbells and 3 sets of 10 repetitions. Now if I decided to using only 4kg dumbells instead of the 5kg ones what will the effect be ? Can I compensate by doing more repetitions ?

Re: Weight v Repetitions
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »
It's probably not enough of a weight difference to make a difference to the result, to be honest. Do you need to get rid of the 5kgs for some reason? I'd say you'd be better moving up, if possible, to a heavier weight (once the current ones are getting easy, I mean - if you're not fatigued by the end of a set)

I also, personally, find I need different weights for different exercises, so the broader range you have the better.

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:18:19 pm »
Sorry, just realised I didn't answer all of your questions - to an extent, yes, doing more reps will work. But if the weight's not heavy enough, you're wasting your time and effort, really.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:29:52 pm »
You'll be training to do something different - higher endurance with lower force.  The difference is probably not significant, but hey, try it and see (it's "only 1kg" or it's "zomg 20%").  You can always change back if you're not getting the results you want.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:30:22 pm »
The short answer is No.

Because of adaptation, you really need to steadily increase the weights you use to keep the same "perceived" effort.

If you increase reps with reduced weights, you'll shift your training to muscle endurance i.e. you'll simply be able to do more reps!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:15:17 pm »
Do you need to get rid of the 5kgs for some reason?

I will be exercising at home and need to get the things I need, I can't afford to get everything at once. I use 4kg more than I do 5kg but not strong enough to use 5kg for every exercise at the moment and not sure I want to.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:22:18 pm »
Practicality wins: 4kg for more reps isn't the same, but it's better than 0kg for 0 reps while you save up.

Charity shops and small ads and freecycle, by the way: dumbbells are always around, and pretty cheap, once you've got a spare few quid.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:24:05 pm »
Hmm. Tricky. If 5kg is too heavy then don't push it - you're the only person that can judge. Better 4kg than hurting yourself. But as the others say above, doing more reps/less weight is a different exercise altogether, rather than equivalent.

I believe you can get dumbells that you add increasing weights to, like a barbell - maybe that would be a good investment? Or look on eBay for cheap weights? (just seen andygates' post - absolutely! Lots of people buy them and then give up, so take advantage of that)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »
I believe you can get dumbells that you add increasing weights to, like a barbell - maybe that would be a good investment?

Absolutely you can.  They're a Teen Male Necessity: one York dumbbell set and plastic-coated cement weights in roughly half-kilo increments.  Classy boys like me use rusty cast iron instead (must get some hammerite).

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:37:03 pm »
Another thing to consider is choose a weight that is testing but still allows you to do the reps properly.  The number of times I have seen, for example,  people doing bicep curls having to swing backwards to hoy the weight up.  Better to have a lighter weight and do it properly.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »
Looking at things from a different angle, could you add in some variations on the exercises you are doing?  So if for example you are doing standard bicep curls, perhaps change these to bicep curl with overhead press or bicep curl and a lunge?

I only have 4, 6 and 8kg weights at home.  In an ideal world I would have weights up to 14kgs but the gym is there for that.

« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »
The gym is closing so I can't go there any more ! I know I will not be motivated to travel further afield to go to another one and anyway could do with saving the money.

* MSeries googles for bicep curl with overhead press or bicep curl and a lunge *

I have tried them cheap mini barbell types and find them too bulky and cumbersome so want some compact ones like I am used to.

« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:47:47 pm »
So with lighter weights I'll still remained toned ? or not ?

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:53:22 pm »
It depends whether you are trying to keep fit (10 reps isn't enough), get lean looking muscle (light weights and many reps) or bulk up (you should be 'maxed-out' at 10 -12 reps).

What are you attempting to achieve?

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:54:55 pm »
What are you attempting to achieve?

3 sets of 10 is doing it for me now. Is that 'lean looking muscle' in your definition.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »
I used to do 3x10s at a weight that would have me maxed out at the end of each set (Bench press, Pec press and Back). I did it for six weeks, but was putting a lot of new muscle on, and didn't want to - my aim was to lose weight, not put it on - even if it was muscle.

Now, I do 4x20s at a lower weight - one that is still challenging toward the end of each set, esp the latter ones, but not maxing out. I seem to be maintaining now, rather than putting new muscle on, which is at least closer to what I want.

Aside from the muscle issue, the Body fat %age has dropped noticeably - more than makes up for the extra muscle  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:16:42 pm »
I have maintain 75kg for several months now though my waist is thinner and my arms look more toned. My aim was to reduce my body fat percentage but I haven't had it tested recently. Perhaps I'll try more repetitions with the 4kg and see how I go.